Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A male relative of mine is 51 years old and recently divorced. He is quite attractive and financially successful. He THINKS he looks 40. (Isn't funny that most men think they look so much younger than they really are?)

Anyway, he decided to look for love in the personal ads and has put in an ad. He is getting quite a bit of replies from women in their 50s. He looks at their pictures and is shocked. He keeps saying, "she looks so old!!" (Actually they look about as old as he does, but he does not see this!) He said no successful young looking 51 year old man wants to date the typical woman who is in the personal ads over the age of 50. He said the 50-60 year old replying to his ad could be seen as very attractive if they were your long term wife and you grew old together, but as a new person in the dating world she seems just old and unattractive.

My male relative is looking at woman mostly from 35-45 and thinks he will find love with a younger woman. What do you think?
He'll do fine if your second sentance is acurately describing him.

He's fishing in a pond loaded with fish and using the right bait.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
However, the OP is right about one thing: None of them were as young-looking as they thought they were. The youngest-looking among them looked to be in their mid-40s, and those were the ones who did triathlons and such--and that's if it was to believed that their photos were recent.
Were yours?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Another problem: when I'm out and about and meeting people, it's almost impossible to guess how old they might be. There is so much variation among people of my age that I've been off by quite a bit several times. Some of the men I thought were way too old turned out to be younger than me.
No kidding. My sisters are all in their early- to mid-50s, and the men in their age group run the gamut. The women seem to be well-maintained, but I wonder how much of that is botox and a knife.

Overall, male or female, I think one's 40s are the make-or-break years for looks. Unless you have great genetics, your life, lifestyle, and all the things you did in your 20s and 30s will start showing up in your 40s. If you took care of your body, didn't smoke, and used sunscreen, chances are your face is going to be in better shape than someone who ate crappy food, sat on the couch, smoked, and UVB tanned. That's true overall for anyone over 30, actually, but I found that in one's 40s, it's almost a matter of extremes. People either look really good or really bad.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Were yours?
Absolutely! One of my divorce gifts to myself was a digital camera.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A male relative of mine is 51 years old and recently divorced. He is quite attractive and financially successful. He THINKS he looks 40. (Isn't funny that most men think they look so much younger than they really are?)

Anyway, he decided to look for love in the personal ads and has put in an ad. He is getting quite a bit of replies from women in their 50s. He looks at their pictures and is shocked. He keeps saying, "she looks so old!!" (Actually they look about as old as he does, but he does not see this!) He said no successful young looking 51 year old man wants to date the typical woman who is in the personal ads over the age of 50. He said the 50-60 year old replying to his ad could be seen as very attractive if they were your long term wife and you grew old together, but as a new person in the dating world she seems just old and unattractive.

My male relative is looking at woman mostly from 35-45 and thinks he will find love with a younger woman. What do you think?
If that's what he wants, he should go for it. I don't see a big deal with a 40-year-old woman dating a 50-year-old man, and a 45-year-old woman is so close to his age that the difference would barely register with anyone. As someone pointed out, many women in their mid-30s want children, and he may be too old for them. Everybody has preferences.

What I noticed is that your friend is atypical (attractive, younger looking, financially successful) but seems to believe that dating in his age pool limits him to "the typical woman who is in the personal ads." He looks younger than his age? Well, so do many women. It's a big mistake, I think, to regard yourself so highly that you believe that no one could measure up to you.

I'm sure that once he puts himself out there, he'll find out whether his expectations are realistic.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
I have seen women on dating sites that say they are 35-45 but im guessing add 10+ years.
I dont know how common it is for guys to do this.I dont know about lying about your age..
If you get really serious with someone,you cant hide it forever..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I have seen women on dating sites that say they are 35-45 but im guessing add 10+ years.
I dont know how common it is for guys to do this.I dont know about lying about your age..
What??? Women lying about their age? Are you sure?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
Yeah,bro pretty sure lol

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
I see the fifties as the time that many people really stop trying. People can be attractive at any age but most just give up. Some of the elderly men and women at my gym look great. Of course the old guys look don't look at the old women who look great, but at the 30-40 age group.

It takes effort to maintain after a certain age. What does the guy in the OP do to keep himself looking forever forty?

It's not that looks are everything but why give up? Some people, mostly guys it seems, appear to even be trying to look older.
There is a guy in his late 40s that is a local celebrity of sorts who was interviewed about a year and a half ago. The reporter said he looked like he could be his son's brother. Compliment! But the guy goes and cuts his nice wavy hair, lets it go all gray and starts wearing old man clothes. Now he looks like Dick Cheney.

There needs to be a revolt against attractive people who let themselves go.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I dont know how common it is for guys to do this.
I'll give you at clue....it's FAR more common for men to lie about themselves. They lower their age, claim they are "in shape", increase their height (this one is done ALL the time), and wear ball caps to cover their receding hairline.

Quote:
I dont know about lying about your age..
Hell, if you've gotten serious with someone, obviously the age is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships