Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That I can absolutely relate to. I don't have kids, either. Might've felt differently had it happened at a better time in my life and the right way. It's hard to say now. At this time I can safely say I can't handle it.

Now, how barking, drooling, soiling everything dogs (or any other animals for that matter) can be considered less annoying and even more rewarding than children by many/most is totally beyond me! I know my opinion is hardly popular, but we're all here to give our 4 cents (inflation ). I know, I know about those who have kids AND animals... you're not factored in here, so dont' get defensive.
Haha I'm not on the offensive. I think what I meant to say was I think my dogs are cuter than children. At least my dogs are well trained to not soil the carpet, however I can't discount the moments they have done so. My only focus was to compare children and dogs to uphold my position in remaining childless In a way I do consider my puppies to be like my babies. It's nice to send them to doggie day camp during the day and then come back home from work and they're doing the cutest tricks and so excited to see me. At least they won't grow up to be teenagers that will hate and resent you for every single idea lol. This is just my opposition to having children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acp2483 View Post
Haha I'm not on the offensive. I think what I meant to say was I think my dogs are cuter than children. At least my dogs are well trained to not soil the carpet, however I can't discount the moments they have done so. My only focus was to compare children and dogs to uphold my position in remaining childless In a way I do consider my puppies to be like my babies. It's nice to send them to doggie day camp during the day and then come back home from work and they're doing the cutest tricks and so excited to see me. At least they won't grow up to be teenagers that will hate and resent you for every single idea lol. This is just my opposition to having children.
Oh, I believe I'm pretty aware of the real reasons many people prefer animals...Don't get me started on that.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,415,850 times
Not really,but if I ever do planned or not my world will have changed forever and would become the center of my attention and love.

I have always run away from responsibilty but once I accept it I do so whole heartedly.While my lifestyle would change,there are benefits of family and the want to give guidance and a legacy that would be a plus I suppose.

I'm really scared of being a single parent or having a kid and not staying with the mother anymore though,if I am to be a father I would commit to the woman also and that falling apart like I've seen happen to some others scares the heck out of me.

My friend married a woman for 17 years he was always devoted raised her children as his own then last year she took off with his friend,the kids side with the mother and didn't even send him a Xmas or Birthday card.They are 19 and 21 now,have there own cars and never even stop by.I feel for him,don't want that for me.Well the son has come by a couple times but the daughter won't even acknowlege him now.He was pretty hurt.......still is

Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 PM

135 posts, read 503,975 times
When you respond, please also state your age, gender, whether or not you are currently married, and whether or not you are interested in getting married in the future. I'm curious to see what you have to say!

Im a 26 yr old male, dating a young lady now for 6 months. YES I want to get married and have kids. I want 4 kids because I have always dreamt of having a large family and children to run up to me when I come home from work and hug me and need me. I can't wait for the day when I have the first one ! Maybe I will change my mind and just have one but I want 4 as of now. Sometimes I really wonder if there is someone specific for everyone.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 PM

135 posts, read 503,975 times
Oh I forgot don't do things you think you might regret later on ! And don't feed off the happiness of others it leads to jealousy ! If you see someone that's married and happy like no other dont go wishing you were married and had that, because you made that choice not to get married. What are you scared of ? If you get married you can always get divorced not that I am saying I would do that but I would hope the girl I ask to marry is the perfect one for me but it may not work out that way ! Ok shutting up now.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,336,019 times
I'm always amazed at people who are not happy with themselves and in their own skin but expect kids to do it for them. How many have kids to keep their marriage together? Then the kids get older and move on with their lives and the parents, who were not compatible anyway, are left holding the bag. I work with a lady now who is seeing her kids go on with their lives and her and her husband are doing everything possible to keep their kids at home. It's not fair to those kids...well adults now, they're in their 20's.
I have one aquaintance who is telling her 27 year old son, "you stay here with me, you're better off staying at home with us". that's so unhealthy and I bet there are thousands like her. I see kids/teenagers on TV saying "I want to have a baby so someone will love me forever"....
Their kids are filling some void and those type people cannot be good parents. They have kids for the wrong reasons. So they're better off having pets or nothing at all. Those who say they don't want kids are getting my respect if that's their choice. At least they're not doing what society expects just for the heck of it.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 AM

604 posts, read 1,187,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Does anyone really have any parenting skills before they have kids? I think parents learn as they go along. Mine did, and I couldn't ask for a better job.
Yes. Some people have the skills before they have the kids. I prefer it that way. I'd rather not be the subject of a trial-and-error learning experiment.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 13,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Yes. Some people have the skills before they have the kids. I prefer it that way. I'd rather not be the subject of a trial-and-error learning experiment.
I couldn't have said it better myself. A trial and error learning experiment, unfortunately, is what most people put their children through. This is a result of the parents, this day and age, lacking any kind of common sense. I am deathly afraid for the babies who are born to people in my generation. I'm 24 years old and most people my age grew up when the "selfish" generation hit its beginning; now being at the peak of the "all about me" mentality. It's just very sad to see these spoiled babies, themselves, having children and trying to raise a family. I just never want to subject a helpless baby into that kind of environment.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 PM

195 posts, read 422,303 times
I have always loved kids. I want to have at least three. I have always had that maternal instinct in me. Now,I just have to find the right guy to have them with.

Oh, and I am female and 24, almost 25.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,479,390 times
I'm a 20 year old female. I love kids and would like 4. However, I have PCOS and have been told that there's a slim chance of me being able to have my own children. Since I think it is ABSOLUTELY selfish to do fertility treatments when there are so many children out there in the US and the world in general that need a home, I plan on adopting. Even if it turns out that I can have biological children, I would only want one biological child. I love children- out of whose womb they come from does not affect my maternal instinct towards them.

I also hope to one day be in the position to have foster kids. Some of the most enriching experiences in my life so far have been working with foster kids as a "Big Sister" and my dream is to be able to provide some of these kids with a more substantial donation of my time and love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships