Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 PM

86 posts, read 359,571 times

Advertisements

My humble opinion... Real life is definitely the best way to meet someone. On line dating may give you information about the person's likes and dislikes, but you don't know for sure if all that is presented on a dating site profile is true or just misinformation. In real life , you get to see the person's mannerisms, behavior, voice , facial expressions and believe it or not , you can gather a lot of information just by observing how people behave. See how they dress, how they treat you, how they treat others...those things you cannot see thru a computer screen...now, if you want to force your destiny and get into a relashionship just because you don't want to be alone, well, you can go ahead...date a lot of people from online dating sites and then see the results in a few months to years...if something is meant to be it will happen...let love find you, don't go out looking for love because you can be surprised of what you can find
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyturquoise View Post
My humble opinion... Real life is definitely the best way to meet someone. On line dating may give you information about the person's likes and dislikes, but you don't know for sure if all that is presented on a dating site profile is true or just misinformation. In real life , you get to see the person's mannerisms, behavior, voice , facial expressions and believe it or not , you can gather a lot of information just by observing how people behave. See how they dress, how they treat you, how they treat others...those things you cannot see thru a computer screen...now, if you want to force your destiny and get into a relashionship just because you don't want to be alone, well, you can go ahead...date a lot of people from online dating sites and then see the results in a few months to years...if something is meant to be it will happen...let love find you, don't go out looking for love because you can be surprised of what you can find
So how exactly DO you picture "online" dating...?! You place an order online, get a marriage license, and receive your groom in your mail box?!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyturquoise View Post
My humble opinion... Real life is definitely the best way to meet someone. On line dating may give you information about the person's likes and dislikes, but you don't know for sure if all that is presented on a dating site profile is true or just misinformation. In real life , you get to see the person's mannerisms, behavior, voice , facial expressions and believe it or not , you can gather a lot of information just by observing how people behave. See how they dress, how they treat you, how they treat others...those things you cannot see thru a computer screen...
I see. So, you can spot a serial killer, rapist, murderer, abuser or all of the above by staying off line and meeting people "in person". Uh huh. Yep.

Quote:
now, if you want to force your destiny and get into a relashionship just because you don't want to be alone, well, you can go ahead...date a lot of people from online dating sites and then see the results in a few months to years...if something is meant to be it will happen...let love find you, don't go out looking for love because you can be surprised of what you can find
Clearly, another person who has never done the "online dating" thing.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Online is just another "venue".

Let's imagine for a moment that I was actually going to pursue someone for a relationship. Nine out of ten people could already be attached and in a relationship already. There is no way to "tell" unless they're already out with their SO. Some women will go out with male relatives or friends, so you can't even assume that either.

I was once approached by someone--when I was already in a relationship--that I thought had a boyfriend. And I brought that up, and she told me, "No, he's just a friend."

At least online, once you start communicating with someone, you're communicating with someone who may be open to a relationship, and you know that they're open to it.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
facinating posts on this thread. great stuff.
my attempts at on line dating are comical and clownlike.
but this stuff is really funnier yet.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 AM

881 posts, read 1,113,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherchaps View Post
I have always met men in person. I personally like the whole face to face thing.
Hate the whole online thing. Just not for me.
It does make meeting people harder because not a lot of men approach me, but when one does, it is major props for that guy because he had balls to go out on a limb. And I like that confidence about a man!

Meeeeee toooo! That confidence to actually talk to me is the bomb! MAJOR attractor.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Online is just another "venue".

Let's imagine for a moment that I was actually going to pursue someone for a relationship. Nine out of ten people could already be attached and in a relationship already. There is no way to "tell" unless they're already out with their SO. Some women will go out with male relatives or friends, so you can't even assume that either.

I was once approached by someone--when I was already in a relationship--that I thought had a boyfriend. And I brought that up, and she told me, "No, he's just a friend."

At least online, once you start communicating with someone, you're communicating with someone who may be open to a relationship, and you know that they're open to it.
A webcam would help too if a person's seeking online, to see if they're real or not.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,730 times
My brother and his girlfriend met online, on a dating website, and they've been together for about three years.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
I met my late wife online in '91. It wasn't a dating site but an information site. I asked for information, she provided it (via email) and we struck up an "email conversation." We knew we'd never meet because we lived 2000+ miles apart, so we were open, honest and just enjoyed the exchange of thoughts and info. Except that we sorta fell for each other, and then we did meet, and the face-to-face just reinforced our feelings for each other. So she moved to live with me; we married after the first year and had 3.5 years of the best years of our lives before her sudden and unexpected death.

So I became an early believer in online meetings, and after her death I met several other women online, then in person -- none via dating sites but rather sites similar to this one.

And that's how I met my current wife. I also chatted with her high school-aged daughter now and then. Instead of giving a college scholarship I had, for years, held an annual week-long photo workshop for high school juniors and seniors (local and nationally) who showed an interest and talent for art/photography; daughter was interested in photography as a career so I invited her to join the workshop. Mom came along as a chaperon. We hit it off, and she moved in a couple months later. That was 11 years ago.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,138 times
Well , we all know since the online dating issue started we all tried our luck see if we met same one and then met them in person.It all looks a great idea i must say , if their weren't same people abusing it.
I tried online dating so many times it ended up in bad.For me , i am not intersted on online kind of staff coz their are lots of duds who play the dumest game which i dont know what they are getting out of it.
I perfer to meet sameone in real life, which makes it real.
My advice is KEEP IT REAL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships