Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times

Advertisements

My answer is either, or, or both....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I think I prefer meeting people in real life.. I guess I can judge them (in a good way) their characters, morals, behaviors, and attitudes.
This seems to logical, but if you think of it, it really is not the case.

If you meet a person ringing you up in the bass pro shop, how do you have any better chance to judge their character, morals, behaviors and attitudes, than if you met them online. The key (as has been stated) is that the goal of online is to meet them in person anyway. So if you take away all the "stigmas", then really it's just two different ways to get to the same end goal, and that is to meet a person in person.

Sometimes you get lucky, and you're at a dinner party (or whatever) and just find yourself getting to know someone, so "there you are", but otherwise, whether in the checkout line, at the grocery thumping melons, online, or chance meeting at kick-boxing course, it's just a way to meet, so you can ask for the chance to meet one-on-one, in person.

One benefit of the online (in addition to what has already been stated) is that the intimidation factor is reduced, for those that have one. Much easier to send out a message to someone. If they reject you, they usually do so by ignoring you altogether. if they don't, then by the time you meet (presumably a couple messages down the road), you at least have a little bit more knowledge of them, their personality, their sense of humor, and etc, and therefore the ice is a little thinner, easier to break.

Just my thoughts on it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I don't like online or maybe online doesn't like. I am not really photogenic. My type isn't really online, or the ones that are aren't really interested in me as a type.

I just find it easier to do "targeted" socializing. I am much more successful there, and it plays more to my strengths anyway.

The people that reach out to me online are generally all wrong:
1. Mr. socially awkward (I am a social butterfly-type, bad fit)
2. Mr. Looking for a hookup. (um, no!)
3. Mr. I have no personality (boring)

I don't have time to pick at every oyster to find a pearl.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This seems to logical, but if you think of it, it really is not the case.

If you meet a person ringing you up in the bass pro shop, how do you have any better chance to judge their character, morals, behaviors and attitudes, than if you met them online
Even worse, a lot of people act tougher or more open online than IRL.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,791 times
I've always found it easier to meet people and make friends online then if I were to meet some one face to face. Most of the people I've met face to face (through school, work) I barely talk to anymore.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I like real life because it's easier to read body language and cues and I think people are nicer in real life.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
I do both. Some very interesting people online and in person.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Done both, and don't have a strong preference one way or another...there are pros and cons to each. Online is efficient, because it doesn't limit me to just the number of people in my immediate physical environment or friends of friends, etc...more exposure. In person allows you to more accurately and quickly assess actual chemistry. But ultimately, how you meet is pretty immaterial compared to the factors that allow you to build a relationship or not once you do meet.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
what difference does it make? most people are garbage anyways.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Real life is preferable. Without a doubt. Common interest or a situation where you are yourself and "at your best" is the most productive.

On-line dating has worked for some. My Mom knows a couple who met this way. They were both divorced with kids, with both sets of divorces not amicable. He looks like Sam Elliott and she looks like Lindsay Wagner (both age progressed from their peaks), so they're doing fine ... a matched set.

On-line dating is generally not a surprise. If there's a picture there, some bio stuff, and you talk on the phone, then there's not much mystery. The "wild card" is if the person's IRL vibe works for you. I went ahead with a few dates where everything was pretty much on target, but the conversation indicated their "jockette" factor was higher than what I like, and within a short time, I knew I was sitting there wasting my time ... and theirs.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
what difference does it make? most people are garbage anyways.
You write crap like this, and your rep to post ratio is higher than mine??? This is high comedy at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships