Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,682 times

Advertisements

This afternoon, I was at the Bass Pro Shop buying some hooks and bait and the cashier was a pretty little thing. Very nice girl and I thought about asking for her number but she could be way too young. Also, I figured she probably gets hit on a lot by all the rednecks that go through that store

I guess, I am used to meeting people through online dating and I much prefer to meet people in real life but what if I asked for her number and she was 18? At least online, you can search people by age. Do you prefer to meet people online, real life or a combination of both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This afternoon, I was at the Bass Pro Shop buying some hooks and bait and the cashier was a pretty little thing. Very nice girl and I thought about asking for her number but she could be way too young. Also, I figured she probably gets hit on a lot by all the rednecks that go through that store

I guess, I am used to meeting people through online dating and I much prefer to meet people in real life but what if I asked for her number and she was 18? At least online, you can search people by age. Do you prefer to meet people online, real life or a combination of both?
Umm...when I use an online "dating" site, I do meet the people in real life.
I don't consider having an online communication as anything more than just that. The whole point is, to actually MEET them face to face. Online dating sites are simply one method to find prospective dates. Really not much difference to me...just that online suits my lifestyle better.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

Personally? Online. Why? It's easier. Online you know what the girl looks like, you know what her interests are, and you know that their available. Not to mention that you can flip through an assortment of 'ready and willing' women.' at your conveniance and disposal. The one disadvantage is that actual process. Choosing, messaging, talking and meeting up is lengthier here whereas if you're lucky enough to meet a datable woman in person, everything is sort of instatenous, and occurs in miliseconds. You have their attention immediately, you can get their number immediately and you can reconnect probably within a week. The online way is far more drawn out.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,559,216 times
I prefer to meet them on C-D. LOL

Seriously, though, online dating (actual dating websites) is not my favorite. I have done it before, but with no real success. I don't think I will try it again. I'm not someone who likes to date multiple people at the same time, so I really don't need to search a bunch of profiles and talk to numerous people.

I'd rather just meet one person I'm interested in and who's interested in me and get to know them. I hate dating!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,988,406 times
On line seems to be the wave of the future. After all, you know someone on a dating site is available, interested in dating, etc. Frankly, it's possible to meet people on line who you'd never have a chance to meet in your everyday life. The odds are better simply b/c the numbers are greater.

Most people who "meet" on line are comfortable with the coffee date - into meeting and know the deal: public place, short first into, & take it from there.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
I think I prefer meeting people in real life.. I guess I can judge them (in a good way) their characters, morals, behaviors, and attitudes.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Well, I've met some interesting men online, but not on dating sites. I've met them through their blogs, special interest forums and social networking sites. What I've found is that people are more likely to just be themselves outside of a dating site. With dating sites, it's always the "hard sell" and "here's what I want ..." I suspect that people who use dating sites also eliminate a lot of good people once they get click-happy with the detailed search functions. "I want someone with black hair, who's this tall, within 10 miles of me, like sushi, doesn't even drink ..." You get the drift.

I went out with a guy I met on a dating site. One date, total wash. Then, oddly enough, I happed across his social networking profile, and I thought, "Now, there's a guy I want to know." He was witty, free-flow and spoke his mind candidly. If I'd seen that first, I would have been far more interested in him.

A lot of people just do not translate very well over the Internet. I met my last S.O. in person, but his email communications were egregious. He had a lot of features that I would have considered dealbreakers, e.g., living in a different city, had I seen his profile on a dating site. He wasn't my physical type and had bizarre hobbies and interests that would have made me think, "Uh ... nope on 'Star Trek'-obsessed dude."

And yet I moved here to be with him and tried to make it work for three years. The chemistry was instantaneous and overwhelming. There's something to say about meeting IRL first and getting to know someone.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM

162 posts, read 177,438 times
In person of course. Online is good, but there's no substitute for the real thing.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM

43 posts, read 278,292 times
I have always met men in person. I personally like the whole face to face thing.
Hate the whole online thing. Just not for me.
It does make meeting people harder because not a lot of men approach me, but when one does, it is major props for that guy because he had balls to go out on a limb. And I like that confidence about a man!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Well, I've met some interesting men online, but not on dating sites. I've met them through their blogs, special interest forums and social networking sites. What I've found is that people are more likely to just be themselves outside of a dating site. With dating sites, it's always the "hard sell" and "here's what I want ..." I suspect that people who use dating sites also eliminate a lot of good people once they get click-happy with the detailed search functions. "I want someone with black hair, who's this tall, within 10 miles of me, like sushi, doesn't even drink ..." You get the drift.
That's how my guy and I met. In fact, his then-girlfriend was in the process of moving out, I was writing dating rants in my blog, and we lived several hundred miles apart. But we belonged to the same bird group. He said something about one of my birds, and over the course of seven months we wrote back and forth about everything but dating. When I mentioned I was coming to the area to look at potential places to live, he suggested we get together and that was that.

Dating sites, however, are a joke to me. Whoever said that it's a way of knowing that the people you find attractive are available and looking to date is living in a fantasyland. There are a lot of married people on those sites who are just looking to get laid--male and female. There are also a lot of liars, and they are dishonest about everything from their height to their age to their weight to their lifestyles to their religion to UGH, just about everything. I've heard stories about people using their kids' photos, pulling photos off the Internet, the whole bit. I, myself, ran into a few men whose photos were obviously taken 15 years earlier.

But, you know, everyone on those services is active, with athletic/slim/fit bodies and lifestyles that include regular hikes, bike rides, and ski trips. They've all traveled the world, and they all make at least $75,000 a year. They're looking for "THE ONE," and of course, they don't believe in playing games.

Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships