Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

There's SINK. Single Income No Kids. My allies are DINKS. There's DINKWAD, -With A Dog. DINKWAC - With a Cat. WAB - With a Bird. WAE - I guess with an Elephant? . Same goes for the SINK acronym. So I would be SINKWAC - With a Cat. What if you both a cat and a dog? Are you SINKWACAD? We could keep being creative and go on with this.

Oh, and what about someone like famous zoo Director Jack Hanna who lives with animals, and Sigfried and Roy who live with several different cat species?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 AM

28 posts, read 74,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm not a guy who likes being around kids and would rather meet that special someone and a lifestyle that is-"Double Income No Kids"

Anyone in this situation? One guy at my job who is 50 is married and he and wife have no kids and travel a lot and I find that to be a great lifestyle. That's my dream someday

Very interested in the life. A female at 27 w/no kids, I appreciate my choice more than ever when I encounter relatives or friends toting around their "loads" looking exhausted. I have a question though. Am I still considered childfree if my BF has (meaning already had before I met him) a son by another woman? I ask this because I do see his son from time to time and am in his presence and will be a lot more if we decide to get married (which has not been dicussed seriously). I guess I wouldn't be childfree if I became a step parent. BUT doesn't childfree mean not wanting or ever having any of your own? Would I just be childless? Someone help me out here.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomlySpecific View Post
I have a question though. Am I still considered childfree if my BF has (meaning already had before I met him) a son by another woman?
*shrug* Depends on who judges. The more hardcore CF would see the emphasis on step-parent and not let you sit at their lunch table. Others are more moderate. You might be interested in discussing the issue here:

The Childfree Life • View forum - CF Steps

Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:2VFvpChSpb46GM:http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/berriperri/Misc%20Other/05627-2copy.jpg&t=1 (broken link)

Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM

232 posts, read 676,483 times
Really hard question. We currently have no kids, and both work. Love being able to just pick up and go. I'm currently watching my brother struggle with 2 little kids, and not being able to travel like he loves. So I don't envy him. But on the other hand, I would love to have a child and experience all that comes with parenthood. But my family carriers the autism gene (multiple children in the extended family have some form of autism) so we might not end up having kids anyway because of that. Really hard question to answer. There are positives and negatives to both sides.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomlySpecific View Post
Very interested in the life. A female at 27 w/no kids, I appreciate my choice more than ever when I encounter relatives or friends toting around their "loads" looking exhausted. I have a question though. Am I still considered childfree if my BF has (meaning already had before I met him) a son by another woman? I ask this because I do see his son from time to time and am in his presence and will be a lot more if we decide to get married (which has not been dicussed seriously). I guess I wouldn't be childfree if I became a step parent. BUT doesn't childfree mean not wanting or ever having any of your own? Would I just be childless? Someone help me out here.
I think external and personal perception are both valid, but if you date someone whos income goes to the support of a child, you really dont qualify as a DINK.

You may be a SINKDASIWK, which is a single income no kids dating a single income with kids.

He won't lavish you, or his retirement account, or whatever...with the money that goes to support his kid.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
fwiw - the majority of DINKS are gay couples - just sayin'

Do you have a cite for that? I believe that is incorrect. While a significant number of GBLT couples are DINKS it does not correspond the the majority of DINKS are GBLT.

Pink pound loses its glow as more gay couples become parents | Money | The Observer

In fact, as the previous article suggests, studies are showing a gayby boom and an increase in the number of heterosexual couples embracing the childfree life style. Undergraduate Research Journal for the Human Sciences Childless By Choice - survey of women on having children - Statistical Data Included | American Demographics | Find Articles at BNET

Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
My husband and I live that lifestyle currently and have for about 5 years. Hopefully we'll be enjoying it for about 5 more years.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We're DINKWADs for the time being, but it's not really a long-term plan to stay that way. Just what works for now.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,512 times
Good time for saving money and living it up. If you're there, be smart.

Even though my kids bring me to my knees at times, I'd never go back to the DINK lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships