Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
"... most people who don't have children wind up regretting it, always when it is too late. few people regret having children."

I totally disagree. Of course people rarely admit they regret having kids because others would tend to judge them on that. And why would they admit it in front of their kids? However, I've known countless people who have been honest and said they wished they'd never had kids. When I went to my HS reunion a few years back, nearly everyone there admitted they wished they hadn't been saddled with kids: they were on drugs, expensive, a pain in the ass, disrespectful, etc.

In any case, my husband and I are DINKS. We never wanted children and have never regretted it. My colleagues all sit around at lunch complaining about their grown kids, pay for their rehab, their mortgages and bail them out of every conceivable jam and basically spend their entire lives paying for their kids. My husband and I spend every weekend in the summer hiking in Yosemite or the Grand Canyon, go on trips and do whatever we want to do.

Oh, another thing (and this is a biggie to me). Having children often puts a crimp on your sex life. Who wants that? With no kids, you have WAY more money, way more sex and way more fun (usually, there are exceptions). To me, having children would have been a hellish disaster. Childless and happy is the way to go in my marriage.

But anyone who thinks childless couples regret not having kids has obviously never been around a childless by choice couple.
you are missing the breadth and point of my post, which was to point out that YES i understood the reasons why someone would not want to HAVE Children. i was simply underlining that for me, and the type of person i am, i would not enjoy being around someone who just didn't like children. even if we never had kids, to me that means you can't be silly. you won't want to have a food fight. you won't be spontaneous and want to eat candy while watching the Mighty Boosh. whatever. i like a certain childlike goofiness, and i love being around kids like that- not all kids, but the smart ones who like to laugh. yes kids interrupt your party time. yes they cause coitus interuptus. its a matter of taste. i never said all people will regret having kids. you sound like you could use some spontaneity and patience yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
you are missing the breadth and point of my post, which was to point out that YES i understood the reasons why someone would not want to HAVE Children. i was simply underlining that for me, and the type of person i am, i would not enjoy being around someone who just didn't like children. even if we never had kids, to me that means you can't be silly. you won't want to have a food fight. you won't be spontaneous and want to eat candy while watching the Mighty Boosh. whatever. i like a certain childlike goofiness, and i love being around kids like that- not all kids, but the smart ones who like to laugh. yes kids interrupt your party time. yes they cause coitus interuptus. its a matter of taste. i never said all people will regret having kids. you sound like you could use some spontaneity and patience yourself.

I don't like being around kids and have a GOOFY SIDE. I like being GOOFY around Adults not children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships