Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Why should people want, or have to deal with an open relationship? If you're single, you can mess with as many people as you want. If you want to be single, be single. If you want to be married, be married. This open marriage stuff is a weak substitute for logic.
What does logic have to do with this? Some people would argue that being faithful to one person our whole life goes against our nature and his completly illogic. Depends of your perspective.

Some people may want to have a long lasting relationship with a person for a number of reasons, economic, friendship, kids, etc...but still want to fool around for just sex everynow and then. Of course, I'm not saying all open relationships are healthy, just like a lot of marriages are unhealthy. I'm sure a lot of people get dragged into these "open relationships" when in reality they're just putting up with their partner's cheating. But a lot of people get dragged into having kids or moving to some place or even getting married too. Some couples (I've met a few) do manage to live in respectful open relationships and all it matters is that both are happy about it.

My GF is my best friend and we want to grow old together. We don't live in an open relationship but if either of us ever had the uncontrollabe urge to seek out sex with someone else, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

To be honest, what I find illogic is destroying a long relationship based on so-called principles for something like sex. Of course, some relationships are beyond repair and the cheating is just a symptom, but in some cases, having sex with someone else is really nothing more than...sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 03:03 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
I couldn't rep you Lucario but seriously you are a wise, wise person. Completely and totally agree with everything you have said

Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
[quote=Lucario;15974402]How on Earth does lisalan's opinion, or mine, or anyone's, affect you in any way? We don't like open marriage. You do. Big deal.

Don't you know that its because we will vote against it and then people in open marriages will serve life sentences in jail? That's why

quote]

Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
True, and you are entitled to your opinion, whatever it may be.

In your opinion
- is slavery okay?
- is it bad for women to have the right to vote?
- should interracial marriage be banned?

Most people would answer "No" to those questions now. However, in the past, many people would have answered "Yes." Now, we consider slavery, etc., to be morally wrong.

In the past, because so many people shared the opinion that slavery was okay, that women shouldn't vote, etc., society and the law limited people's rights and looked the other way at bias, discrimination, and even vigilante "justice."

It took education and the efforts of some brave people to obtain basic human rights for many repressed people. So, your opinion does matter, even though you are just one person. Enough people sharing an opinion can affect other people's lives - sometimes subtly, sometimes dramatically - when that opinion is shared. An opinion can foster hatred and oppression and intolerance, or it can support freedom, and individual and group rights. Supporting the latter probably won't even cost you anything.

How do you want to influence this world?
Ya know..............as an African person, I really get beyond annoyed when someone tries to bring in slavery, or racial issues, into an argument and tries to equate them to the issue at hand. Let me make one thing straight - there is no comparison, and I consider any attempt to try to do that beyond insulting.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:36 PM

396 posts, read 732,610 times
Quote:
Ya know..............as an African person, I really get beyond annoyed when someone tries to bring in slavery, or racial issues, into an argument and tries to equate them to the issue at hand. Let me make one thing straight - there is no comparison, and I consider any attempt to try to do that beyond insulting.
Here's a hint - the fact that you find it insulting doesn't mean others do as well. The fact that you see no comparison does not mean others do not.

After all, we're each free to have our own opinion, right? And our opinions, they don't affect anyone else, right? Opinions don't hurt people, right?

Or... are you the only one permitted to be insulting?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:08 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
I stand by my opinion, even if you don't like the analogy or comparison. I'm glad you're not insulted because it is beyond insulting - it's truth.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Here's a hint - the fact that you find it insulting doesn't mean others do as well. The fact that you see no comparison does not mean others do not.

After all, we're each free to have our own opinion, right? And our opinions, they don't affect anyone else, right? Opinions don't hurt people, right?

Or... are you the only one permitted to be insulting?
You do not understand, and I do not expect you to understand. So the hell with you.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I stand by my opinion, even if you don't like the analogy or comparison. I'm glad you're not insulted because it is beyond insulting - it's truth.
See above.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM

396 posts, read 732,610 times
Quote:
You do not understand, and I do not expect you to understand. So the hell with you.
As I said - apparently, you are the only one permitted to be insulting. You are free to be as degrading and nasty as you wish, if the subject is one you disapprove of... and if someone dares to contradict your stance. You actually do expect the world to conform around your opinions and beliefs... and when it doesn't, you tell people they are "seriously twisted," or "the hell with you."

It's amazing how often debates with you wind up in the same place, time and again.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
As I said - apparently, you are the only one permitted to be insulting. You are free to be as degrading and nasty as you wish, if the subject is one you disapprove of... and if someone dares to contradict your stance. You actually do expect the world to conform around your opinions and beliefs... and when it doesn't, you tell people they are "seriously twisted," or "the hell with you."

It's amazing how often debates with you wind up in the same place, time and again.
If you do not like the way I debate, please do not debate with me. I believe this is the first debate we have had, so I find it fascinating that you would depict this dialogue as if we have a history of acrimonious disagreement. If you wish to think that, have it your way.

I am strident, but not insulting, not degrading or nasty. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say. When I do believe I have crossed the line, I readily apologize. I admit that I do not believe I have crossed the line that often, and I do not believe I have done so in this instance.

In any event, I continue to consider your latest posts insulting. If you do not agree with me, please feel free to put me on your ignore list, as I will do for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships