Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 PM

379 posts, read 512,884 times

Advertisements

While this isn't directed exclusively at women, it seems to be more prevalent among women.

While you are constantly texting, checking Facebook, tweeting, and gossiping on the phone while you are driving and weaving in and out of traffic, life is actually going on! I recently broke up with an otherwise nice girl who was constantly tethered to her I Phone, constantly on Facebook, and we'd hang out and all I'd here is an annoying chime that would distract us and she absolutely had to see which pizza place her friend was eating at, or which baby picture was being posted.

There is a such thing as being too connected, ladies (and some dudes too). Why is this new generation of girls (generally aged 21-30) feel that everything they have to say is important and people want to read it? Are we creating a generation people who feel extremely self-important?

BTW, I just had enough and I was sitting on the couch next to her when the thing went off like 4 times in a row. So I got up, left, got in my truck and drove off. Peace out. She called me and she said "why the heck did you leave without saying goodbye?" I texted her "Goodbye"....maybe a dick move but I had mentioned several times to her that it annoyed me, and it seemed to be the only way to get through to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,970 times
I could have sworn I replied to this thread...

Anyway, I said that luckily texting while driving is now against the law in the state of Georgia. Hopefully that includes social networking, too.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I have no smart phone...don't want one.

To be honest, I see far more guys exhibiting this behavior than gals.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:13 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I would say the same to the guys... From my own observations, the men are just as guilty of the women for being attached to their smartphones. And men are usually more boastful about their smartphones if they are "jailbroken". So perhaps the women are more into socializing on their phones, but the men seem to need to have them as an important player accessory just like they need their cars to be all souped up with Altezza tailights and bling spinner hubcaps... in some futile effort to be more appealing to females.

Again, I count myself very lucky to have a boyfriend that doesn't have a smartphone and who doesn't feel the need to be connected to the world 24/7 with some mobile communications device.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
to the OP--good move. i would have done the same.
i am tired of people not even paying attention to those around them since the people far from them are more important.
facebook is full of rediculous updates. "at the gym"..."at work"...etc etc
who CARES!
yes i have facebook, but its a way for me to keep in touch with family and freinds far away. its a way to see their pics and see how the kids are doing. i am there a couple of times a day to see if there is anything important going on, make sure i wish a happy BDAY if necessary, and that's it. i am there like 1 minute and out again.
i dont want to know the everyday nonsense. so you are at the gym...what do you want, a medal? and if you are at the gym,. why the hell are you texting?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
I suppose there are legitimate reasons for having a smartphone, but I don't think they belong in many places - while driving is the first one. had a guy the other night bragging that he had a 2-hour drive, so he placed his phone on the dash cradle and watched the game (!).

I'm also trying to break the girls at the club of the habit - they're supposed to be there to entertain, not shove their noses into a 3" screen. I think some fines are coming up...

Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
IMO, being an idiot with new technology is not gender biased...I see just as many, if not more, men walking around texting at a manic pace, yapping away on those darn bluetooth ear pieces and posting moronic Facebook statuses...

Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM

187 posts, read 196,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
While this isn't directed exclusively at women, it seems to be more prevalent among women.

While you are constantly texting, checking Facebook, tweeting, and gossiping on the phone while you are driving and weaving in and out of traffic, life is actually going on! I recently broke up with an otherwise nice girl who was constantly tethered to her I Phone, constantly on Facebook, and we'd hang out and all I'd here is an annoying chime that would distract us and she absolutely had to see which pizza place her friend was eating at, or which baby picture was being posted.

There is a such thing as being too connected, ladies (and some dudes too). Why is this new generation of girls (generally aged 21-30) feel that everything they have to say is important and people want to read it? Are we creating a generation people who feel extremely self-important?

BTW, I just had enough and I was sitting on the couch next to her when the thing went off like 4 times in a row. So I got up, left, got in my truck and drove off. Peace out. She called me and she said "why the heck did you leave without saying goodbye?" I texted her "Goodbye"....maybe a dick move but I had mentioned several times to her that it annoyed me, and it seemed to be the only way to get through to her.
Dump the looser.

If U were a movie star or Mr Mega money, the girlfriend would be
on the computer ? I don't think so.

Your style or manner with girl is lacking if this is, whats up.
The good news is you pulled an A-1 move and got outta there.

When U get acquainted with your next main squeeze, be a little less agreeable.

You see,

above girl believes U to be manageable . The agreeable type.
Like YOUR the lucky duck in all of this.

Be less agreeable, balance it with the charm.

She needs an on going challenge and above girl is "without romantic challenge" ........(easily distracted ) This is YOUR fault

Good Luck...Sometimes blowing an opportunity allows for the learning curve

Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,486 times
I'm typing this from my iPhone right now...but in my defense I do fit your demographic...26 yo Female.

I feel like not having a smartphone is equivalent to life before a microwave, as far as convenience goes.

I like the push mail feature, where my phone will make a small ding when I receive an e-mail. I'm guessing that alert is what made you get up & leave. For me, that ding makes me more efficient. I can address something as soon as it comes into my inbox.

I very rarely post on this forum from a computer. I check it while in line somewhere, on the way to work (in a taxi), at the nail shop, while a commercial is on TV, etc.

Courtney

Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Classic! I was in the same situation and wish that I'd thought of something like that.

I have a cell phone that stays in my home at all times unless I'm going out of town. I do not need my cell phone at the market, sorry. I don't text and don't use "apps." Using a telecommunications device in public is unbecoming, IMHO. I know way too much about other people's business vis-a-vis smart phones, and this includes their conversations, too.

No worries here. If I happen to run out of gas on the road, I'm sure that there are plenty of people with cell phones to call a tow truck for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships