Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,580,626 times

Advertisements

What bothers me most is the fact that this girl, supposedly in hiding and ashamed is a graduate of one of our nation's finest universities. Doesn't everyone under the age of 60 these know that every thing you send or post on the internet with your name on it can be sent to the whole wide world? I don't really give a damn if she had sex with 4000 guys at once and measured all their penises to a 100th of a nanometer. If these are the kinds of kids getting into Duke, our country is in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What bothers me most is the fact that this girl, supposedly in hiding and ashamed is a graduate of one of our nation's finest universities. Doesn't everyone under the age of 60 these know that every thing you send or post on the internet with your name on it can be sent to the whole wide world? I don't really give a damn if she had sex with 4000 guys at once and measured all their penises to a 100th of a nanometer. If these are the kinds of kids getting into Duke, our country is in trouble.

It's that they're getting out that bothers me.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,806,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I read through some of the smutty powerpoint.

I have to say really underwhelmed by it all. Very boring and dry. No challenge or passion or character or depth or feeling.

Just basically "hi I'm drunk, you're drunk, let's do it". The men are like sure why not, easy fix for dropping off the daily bread dough into a warm oven.

I failed to see where there was any empowerment as she was basically being used as a pincushion for a few minutes and then it was off to sleep or whatever.

Well anyone can get drunk and hook up. Not all that hard to do.

For her, my feeling is that being that she is not THAT hot or attractive, this is a self esteem deal for her. By having some jock thrusting her, it's her way of saying "i am somebody dammit!". But they don't care and no one else cares.

The big issue of course is has little to do with the actual escapades but really her lack of judgment revealing names and pictures and then on top of that revealing very personal details.

Surely any employer out there hiring her would realize that if she'll do that what else will she do, what proprietary info she would hand out, sexual harassment manipulation, etc. She can't be trusted. I'm sure this is something most people will forget but anyone doing a google search of her name, this will never be far away.
I agree. As you said, I don't find her attractive at all. Seems like she knew where to go to see the lacrosse and baseball athletes drunk and was able to seduce them into sleeping with her. When your drunk, it's easy to do. I wonder if she would of been successful in doing it when they're in a sober state of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The scary part is her Linkedin profile:
Karen Owen - LinkedIn (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:www.linkedin.com/pub/karen-owen/15/a13/821 - broken link)

Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,561 times
In her defense looking at all her charity and volunteer work and what her friends say about her, she seems like she's not a terrible person and she clearly is bright. But no matter how technically "bright" we are we do horribly stupid things when we're young. I went to an Ivy League school and did horribly stupid things there I'll take to my grave, God willing. Good thing they weren't published all over the net. I think people should not be so quick to label her as defective or a moron. Even smart people do dumb things.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,215,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Karen Owen - LinkedIn (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:www.linkedin.com/pub/karen-owen/15/a13/821 - broken link)
I must admit, this made me LOL

Researched opposing teams and compiled analyses and written reports

Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
"Karen Owen’s Interests:

"international health care, HIV/AIDS, infectious diseases, history, research, writing, Africa"

Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,279,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I said - and the thread is about - drunken one-night stands. And oh yes, if you are going to be the skank in the story at hand, picking up guys after the chug contest at the local saloon, you absolutely need to take control of the situation if you want to have an orgasm. It isn't the guys' fault that she didn't have fun. She was the leftover drunk chick at the end of the night, why should they care? (PS I have no idea why you insist upon IDing yourself with the skank in this story, but you don't have to argue with me about it. If you want it, it's yours.)

Threads, like conversations, evolve. Plenty of discussion going on here about plenty of tangents.

The rest of your post is typical of [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/1073380-interesting-sidebar-whole-cougar-deal.html"]a woman who surprises herself when she's nice to someone[/URL].

Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
As I previously said in another thread, intelligent men think long-term. Stupid men marry "chaste" women not realizing that perhaps the reason these women were able to control their libido so well until their mid-to-late twenties is that their libido is, well, weak or non-existent; and then these men grow bitter from being married to women who don't want to have sex with them. Just something to ponder, I guess.
hold your horses, i never said that women are expected to "control their libido until mid-to-late 20's." i think what spooks men is just the number, variety, and diversity of sexual partners. in this girl's case it may just be her attitude alone.

Quote:
Chaste in what sense? No woman I know wants to be with a man who's been changing partners like he's out to prove something. Concerns would be numerous: his health; his fitness to be in an exclusive, long-term relationship; any children he may have fathered; and obviously, ghosts coming back to haunt him and whoever he's with. Plus, the whole turn-off factor that accompanies promiscuity.
your concerns are practical, and exist for both genders.

My belief here is that men's concerns in this issue are not simple and practical, they are complicated and maybe not completely rational.

Quote:
If I see a man who seems very desirable to me for a variety of reasons, I assume he's gotten plenty of female attention in his life, and leave it at that; it's not that I learn first that he's been with lots of women and suddenly begin to perceive him as desirable. Real life isn't high school. And men should, and probably do, use the same approach: if you see a woman who seems very desirable and is older than her early twenties, assume she's been with a number of men. How great a number? None of your business.)
sure. men employ a variety of ways to deal with it. i see guys who rationalize some really demeaning stuff, and they do it with a big **** eating grin on their face, too.

i think there's a lot of people who can't change their lot in life, and so they just deal with it the best they can. that doesn't mean that i accept their reality as my own.

Quote:
But to suggest that if a man wrote a "thesis" like that, it would not ruin his reputation with potential mates -- that's just nuts. Isn't this precisely what the "subjects" in this case are complaining about?
eh.. i don't know i didn't read most of this crap.

but since you mention it, yeah, i think if a man wrote this he'd be ostracized from any quasi-respectable social crowd.

however i think what this girl will have to deal with will be more severe.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,215,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
but since you mention it, yeah, i think if a man wrote this he'd be ostracized from any quasi-respectable social crowd.

however i think what this girl will have to deal with will be more severe.
That’s true. If a guy did it most would shrug it off like “meh, he’s a guy, what do you expect?”, but if a woman does it she may as well be branded with you-know-what-name on her forehead for the rest of her days.

This thread has got me listening to Christina Aguilera's "Can't Hold Us Down" a lot lol

Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,043,283 times
Karen Owens is not attractive & shes trashy. Unfortunately their are alot of slutty young women in college & thats ashame. How karen got accepted into snotty duke university & managed to graduated ill never understand. I did read about 10 of the 44 pages she wrote & shes a discusting woman that is now getting her just deserts. She will be lucky now if she gets a job at mcdonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships