Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times

Advertisements

It is a mistake to look at deviating from your standard of the ideal mate as "settling". I mean u change and so does your standards. As u mature the more realistic ur standards become lol.... So, it really isn't settling for less it is evolving and coming into ur own with a realistic perspective. No one is perfect on the inside or the out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not a good comparison. Your boss' opinion of your job performance directly affects whether you have health insurance, whether you can afford that car payment, whether your kids can eat or not. Not a good comparison.
Yet another person who sees an analogy where one WASN'T being made. The reason I cited a person's job wasn't to make an analogy between that and their personal life. It was simply to disprove this idea that you don't care what anyone else thinks.

Quote:
I've proven that I don't give a damn.
Whatever you say. Like I said, everyone likes to think they're the exception.

Quote:
That is vastly different than someone making decisions (minivan vs sports car, fashionable woman vs plain jane, etc.) based on or even taking into account other people's perceptions, and you damn well know it.
Oh please. You only say that because it undercuts your whole argument. The bottom line is that people take other people's opinions into account. If they do it over such trivial things like whether to drive an SUV or minivan, then it's hardly a stretch to thing they do with more important decisions.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:10 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Settling should only be used if you dont have a connection with a perosn and or dont love that person and are getting married for the sake of it or are dating someone whos not treating you with proper respect or is being abusive..

If you think you can find a better lookign person or a person of better status as your only reason for thinking your settling your priorities are messed up..

Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Yet another person who sees an analogy where one WASN'T being made. The reason I cited a person's job wasn't to make an analogy between that and their personal life. It was simply to disprove this idea that you don't care what anyone else thinks.

Whatever you say. Like I said, everyone likes to think they're the exception.

Oh please. You only say that because it undercuts your whole argument. The bottom line is that people take other people's opinions into account. If they do it over such trivial things like whether to drive an SUV or minivan, then it's hardly a stretch to thing they do with more important decisions.

Spin it however you want. It's pointless.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Spin it however you want. It's pointless.
The only one spinning is you. You made a claim, I debunked it, and now you just can't admit that you were wrong.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I think that if you have the desire to be with someone, but you can't find all the traits you are looking for, then you've settled on being single.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
I see nothing wrong with "settling." It just means that you have assessed your odds and have become less entitled. Reality has settled in.

First of all, what makes anyone think that they "deserve" somebody of their high standard, unless they exhibit the same qualities? I always hear fat guys complain about how they cannot get dates, but they refuse to date any overweight girls. Also, fat girls complain that the good ones have been taken, but refuse to date a man with some physical imperfections.

The only time when settling is bad is when you settle for that ax-murderer who just got out of prison.

As for caring about what others think when you have settled, true love conquers that. Anyone who cares more about outsider opinions is pathetic and will likely enter into a bad relationship/marriage, one that is based on superficial qualities and not on true compatibility.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I see nothing wrong with "settling." It just means that you have assessed your odds and have become less entitled. Reality has settled in.

First of all, what makes anyone think that they "deserve" somebody of their high standard, unless they exhibit the same qualities? I always hear fat guys complain about how they cannot get dates, but they refuse to date any overweight girls. Also, fat girls complain that the good ones have been taken, but refuse to date a man with some physical imperfections.

The only time when settling is bad is when you settle for that ax-murderer who just got out of prison.

As for caring about what others think when you have settled, true love conquers that. Anyone who cares more about outsider opinions is pathetic and will likely enter into a bad relationship/marriage, one that is based on superficial qualities and not on true compatibility.
I agree that settling shouldn't be seen as a bad thing if it means you're being realistic about what your options are. But the reason a lot of people think they "deserve" only the best is because it's what our culture preaches. And so you have a lot of people walking around feeling entitled. I also agree that you shouldn't let outside opinions dictate who you date. But unfortunately, it happens quite a lot. I knew a girl who was white and dating a black guy. But she knew her parents wouldn't approve. So she broke it off with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships