Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,383,529 times

Advertisements

I have talked to Jim about the landlord, and he has agreed to meet with her, and get his name off of the lease.

Big snag. She wont do a lease for a single mother, unless she has a co signer. I have no one. I can't use him!

She says people get sick, people lose their jobs, etc. this is all true.

How is a single mother to even live. No new lease with out a co signer. OMG. I will work on this today. I cannot believe this. I have paid this woman for years, the check has always had my name on it. Oh geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 AM

270 posts, read 1,160,158 times
Try asking a co worker or close friend. Maybe parents aunts uncles? just a couple of suggestions.
I have not chimed in on your situation but i think that it is a good thing that you are getting out of this situation. and maybe things with him will get better after he realizes what he has lost.
can i ask how old your children are? i was just wondering kids take things different at different ages

Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 AM

788 posts, read 4,069,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I have talked to Jim about the landlord, and he has agreed to meet with her, and get his name off of the lease.

Big snag. She wont do a lease for a single mother, unless she has a co signer. I have no one. I can't use him!

How is a single mother to even live. No new lease with out a co signer. OMG. I will work on this today. I cannot believe this. I have paid this woman for years, the check has always had my name on it. Oh geez.

What about your sister? You can fax the paperwork to her from a Kinko's or work or something. Hopefully it won't matter that she's out of state. Or, one of your brothers?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,940,740 times
Quote:

I'm not even sure if that's legal, to turn someone down because of their marital status? What if it was a single father; would she turn a single father down as well? All that should matter is that you prove you can pay the rent with the earnings that you make. Telling you that she won't rent to a "single mother" is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit, if you ask me. What if you were a single mother making 300k per year, would she turn you down then because "people get sick" or whatever? The only thing that should matter is that you show you can pay the rent.

However, I'm not a lawyer, and don't wish to be one. If you must, get a co-signer such as Juicebox suggested. You might even pose the question to the battered women's shelter about your landlord not wanting to rent to a "single mother." I'm sorry, that just doesn't sit right with me.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM

289 posts, read 1,140,906 times
Quote:

Robyn, I thought about that last night but decided not to include it in my post because maybe your landlord would be compassionate and it wouldn't come up. I'm sorry that it has.

Unfortunately even though you've always paid her with your check, she's been looking at your family as a "two-income tenant" because both you and Jim both work. She doesn't know and you can't easily prove that it's been your money and not Jim's that has been "behind" those checks. She's unfortunately within her rights to refuse to rent to a one-income tenant, that's why she's insisting on a backup income in the form of a co-signer.

I'm sorry she's not giving you the benefit of having been such a good reliable longtime tenant and I'm surprised that as a woman she isn't being more understanding of your particular situation (if you've explained any of it to her).

What about asking your relatives in Maryland to co-sign? Did your landlord say the co-signer has to reside in the same state that you live in? It's still a legal document and enforceable, isn't it? A friend of mine here in NY co-signed a loan for her son when he moved to Arizona few years ago. Also another (NY) friend co-signed the lease for her daughter's apartment which she has up in Massachusetts because it was the daughter's first job and she had no credit history yet.

I know it's not easy asking a family member to do it but it's not as if you're asking them for an actual handout. You're just asking them to have faith in you and your ability to do what you need to. They should know by now that you'd never take advantage of it.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 AM

289 posts, read 1,140,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm not even sure if that's legal, to turn someone down because of their marital status? What if it was a single father; would she turn a single father down as well? All that should matter is that you prove you can pay the rent with the earnings that you make. Telling you that she won't rent to a "single mother" is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit, if you ask me. What if you were a single mother making 300k per year, would she turn you down then because "people get sick" or whatever? The only thing that should matter is that you show you can pay the rent.
I think it's more likely that the landlord is looking at total household income vs. monthly rent. Poor choice of words on her part to say "single" or "single mother". What she probably really meant was "single income".

When Robyn and Jim first rented the apartment I'm sure they put down both their incomes on the lease application, so the landlord rented it to them on that basis. If Jim lost his job afterward, the landlord couldn't kick them out AS LONG AS THE RENT KEPT GETTING PAID. But taking Jim's name off the lease, makes it a "new lease" with just Robyn's income and if the landlord says Robyn's income isn't enough according to her (landlord's) standards, then AFAIK she's not breaking any laws.

In most (all?) states the landlord has the right to set any income level standards they want for the house or apartment they're renting out.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,940,740 times
^I hear you 4. I would've thought that the landlord would have been more compassionate and supportive. Her choice of words "single mother" irked me though. She acts as if she doesn't care about income, but only her marital status, which makes me feel that she is discriminating against someone in Robyn's situation; someone trying to turn their life around for the positive.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:38 AM

I am home from work. I am trying to calm myself down. While I was at work I made a few calls, I don't know who could co sign. No one at work is in the place to do that, I called one of my brothers, he cannot.

I am so upset. Work went crazy when I left my area to make calls, and it continued to go crazy. i went to the billing dept, very upset, at that point, all the lines were ringing, people were not getting checked out in a atimely manner. Oh brother.

My office manager left quickly this morning, I don't know where she is at, assistant OM was admitted yesterday to the hospital..... who is in charge? I have no clue.

The dr that owns the practice, he is off on Thursdays, so I went to the next one in line down from him.

Just got a kiss from Alexander...that will help...

I told him I have got to go. He told me if you have to go, you have to go. Go home and relax. He knows what is going on. It was crazy in the back as well. I told the billing dept I was leaving, and front desk. She made me stay a little while til I calmed down, to drive.

So, I am home, tearful.

I can't believe Jim is willing to do this, also mentioned going to DMV to have my car title turned over into my name and this is happening.

I know it is just a thing, and may seem trivial, but right now to me, it is huge. It is so huge.

I am going to further calm down...geez...and call this safe program that the BWS gave me and see what they say, and go from there.

I may call back my landlord. I dont know.

The fog.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,960 times
Thanks for the clarification 4SC, I agreed with Synopsis. When we think about it, we need to remember that J was the one who spoke with the landlord ~ probably made it sound like Robyn was irrisponsible and unstable ~ which was why he was leaving. I don't trust anything about this man... but thanks again for that explanation, I understand now.

Robyn, what are you referring to when you say, "I can't believe Jim is willing to do this" Tonite's meeting with the therapist is a good thing.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsV View Post
Thanks for the clarification 4SC, I agreed with Synopsis. When we think about it, we need to remember that J was the one who spoke with the landlord ~ probably made it sound like Robyn was irrisponsible and unstable ~ which was why he was leaving. I don't trust anything about this man... but thanks again for that explanation, I understand now.

Robyn, what are you referring to when you say, "I can't believe Jim is willing to do this" Tonite's meeting with the therapist is a good thing.
I called the landlord. It was me... I asked , calmly to meet with her, Jim and I, to remove him from the lease, and that we were separating ways... No other info given. He did not call her. I called him this morning and said i would call her and immediatley after hanging up, called her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships