Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,922,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm getting a judgemental vibe from this post. But let's be honest. We're all a little selfish. We settle for the best person we think we can get. All other things being equal, we'd all rather be with someone who didn't have kids from a previous relationship. And those who have kids from previous relationships want/hope others won't mind they have kids with someone else....but of course, it's in their self interest to want that.

Love is the ideal, but practical real life considerations necessarily collide with that idealism....as none of us really loves unconditionally.
Yes - I don't understand the judgemental tone so many take on this issue. If someone isn't crazy about kids or doesn't believe himself to be step-father material, isn't a knight in shining armor just looking for damsels in distress to rescue, it doesn't mean he's a bad guy at all.

Same with men who don't want to date the woman with 45 cats. It's about compatibility, having things in common. Wanting a partner with similar interests.

It's better to be honest about one's needs than to think children could never be an issue later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

30,944 posts, read 37,150,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post

Men get scared - the best thing to do is the actually take the time to get to know the woman first before running away with their tail tucked between their legs. Chances are, there are women who conduct their lives the same way I did.
Well here's the thing. It goes back to all of us being a little selfish. The men who are good looking, make a lot of money, and who are not jerks (and even many who are), are probably going to look for a woman without kids first.

I get that there are single moms out there who make the best of their situations and don't expect some man to bail them and their kids out. But kids and ex-husbands make a situation more complicated even in the best case scenario. And a lot of men don't like complications if they can avoid them.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-29-2010 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,813,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You need to stop hanging out where the ghetto chicks hang out.
Okay, Lao.

Why do people assume, if a women has multiple kids, she poor. Maybe she's trash or ghetto.

What if, she's divorced.
What if, she's a widow.
What if, her hubs ran off.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,046,845 times
The single mother is almost standard now. I'm 29 at it seems like every woman I have a shot with at are single mothers. It's not all bad. Not all kids are devils. I won't deny myself something meaningful because she has a child. The way I look at it, if something blossoms, perhaps I could offer the child something he/she does not have.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM

89 posts, read 141,273 times
The dating scene is quite depressing for men over 25 seeking women without kids. Single females without children usually aren't much to look at, and if they are, there's usually a few screws loose or some nasty baggage. The ones who are decent looking & have things together are usually snapped up pretty quick. If you're willing to put up with children, you could probably find some decent looking ladies. Of course, the reason they're available is because a lot of men won't take that chance. I wish things weren't so predictable at times.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM

130 posts, read 336,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Okay, Lao.

Why do people assume, if a women has multiple kids, she poor. Maybe she's trash or ghetto.

What if, she's divorced.
What if, she's a widow.
What if, her hubs ran off.
I agree with this. Not all single mothers are ghetto or poor. I hate stereotypes. I do not have kids but I do know that when you have one it changes things. To those without children, kids look like "baggage". To a parent, a child is a gift even if it wasn't planned. For those who don't want to date someone with children then don't worry because they don't want to date you either. I could not imagine someone wanting to date a person who views their children as "baggage".

And need I reinforce, not all single mothers are trash or poor. Single mothers own houses, hold great jobs, they drive nice cars, and they provide for their family. Hell, they may not even receive child support but they can still hold down a household. They do not need a man to "save" them from distress. Times may get tight and times may get tough but I doubt many great single mothers out there would give into being "rescued".

Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,179,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I hope you don't end up with any of them, because, with that attitude, you would be a terrible step-father . . . I would feel sorry for the kids. Just have cards printed that say, "Only childless women need apply."
Yeah and either learn to spell or type better, too!! P.S., I'm 41 with one kid and wouldn't date you if you paid me. Btw, I own my own house and car and have two good jobs. I don't need you or anyone else thank you to be my son's "baby daddy." First of all, he's 13, secondly, he has a father. I would be the one with sucker written all over MY forehead. Got more to offer than most single women I know with or without kids, and guys too. And my looks didn't go to hell in a handbasket like some of the guys I met that I was surprised to find were younger than me. I would've pegged them for 50 when they were 37, 38!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships