Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times

Advertisements

Some people don't believe in marraige because they believe it contradicts our natural attractions to others. If it's wrong to be attracted to someone else besides your spouse, then theoretically you shouldn't be married. Is there anyone who can honestly say they aren't attracted to anyone else beside their spouse? Even a little? Even if it doesn't nearly amount to the attraction you have for your spouse?

Do you think happy life-long marraiges will become a rarer thing in the future? Today there are many divorces, unlike decades before.

Why do or don't you believe in marraige?

by the way I am in love with someone if you're wondering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,639 times
It's outdated.

I don't want to be legally bound to another person.

In saying this it's not like I don't "believe" in it. If others want to get married, good for them, they have their reasons.

But it's definitely not for me.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
I wouldn't say I don't believe in it anymore, but am afraid of it after my divorce. My ex-wife wasn't committed to marriage and it scares me to think I could make the same mistake again. After 7 years, you think you know someone, but you never really do.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,488 times
I'm not quite sure if I'd marry again. I'm not having any more kids. So..I don't know. Right now, I don't think so. My husband really changed once we married and I don't know if I want to go through that again. I guess it really depends on if I find the person for me. But I wouldn't be opposed to just living together.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I'm not quite sure if I'd marry again. I'm not having any more kids. So..I don't know. Right now, I don't think so. My husband really changed once we married and I don't know if I want to go through that again. I guess it really depends on if I find the person for me. But I wouldn't be opposed to just living together.
I would rather just live together, but I want kids, and I don't want to have them outside of marriage. Guess I'm old fashioned that way.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I would rather just live together, but I want kids, and I don't want to have them outside of marriage. Guess I'm old fashioned that way.
Yeah, I agree with you. I'd marry if you were having kids. For me, no more kids so I can live with someone.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Some people don't believe in marraige because they believe it contradicts our natural attractions to others. If it's wrong to be attracted to someone else besides your spouse, then theoretically you shouldn't be married. Is there anyone who can honestly say they aren't attracted to anyone else beside their spouse? Even a little? Even if it doesn't nearly amount to the attraction you have for your spouse?

Do you think happy life-long marraiges will become a rarer thing in the future? Today there are many divorces, unlike decades before.

Why do or don't you believe in marraige?

by the way I am in love with someone if you're wondering
As much as I hate to pull the age thing, you're 24 and I'm now 65. When I was your age I'd been married for two years, had emigrated to the US and the marriage was a disaster. I was really dumb even though I'd been self sufficient and supporting myself since I was 16. The failure of that marriage was mine alone. As was the second. The third was a whole different ball game.

Most don't realize how the whole concept of marriage came about (hint, St Paul) and most don't care anyway, especially in this day and age. The religious zealots quote their scriptures but have no clue as to the history of religion or how marriage fits in. Ask them if they're familiar with the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Gnostic Gospels and they'll clam up so tightly that your back teeth will grind.

You're in love and that's a wondrous state to be in. Enjoy it, revel in it, see where it goes, don't fuss and worry about what might be because you simply can't know. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
I absolutely am pro-marriage. It didn't work for me, but if I was younger, I wouldn't mind giving it another go. Not now though...my son is almost grown and I like not having to answer to anyone at this point in my life.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As much as I hate to pull the age thing, you're 24 and I'm now 65. When I was your age I'd been married for two years, had emigrated to the US and the marriage was a disaster. I was really dumb even though I'd been self sufficient and supporting myself since I was 16. The failure of that marriage was mine alone. As was the second. The third was a whole different ball game.

Most don't realize how the whole concept of marriage came about (hint, St Paul) and most don't care anyway, especially in this day and age. The religious zealots quote their scriptures but have no clue as to the history of religion or how marriage fits in. Ask them if they're familiar with the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Gnostic Gospels and they'll clam up so tightly that your back teeth will grind.

You're in love and that's a wondrous state to be in. Enjoy it, revel in it, see where it goes, don't fuss and worry about what might be because you simply can't know. Good luck!
The idea of marriage existed far before St. Paul. He may have turned it into something official, but scientists and psychologists agree that there were likely lifelong couples dating back to caveman times. With or without religion the idea of marriage would have eventually been established. (Sorry... I don't think religion has the right to claim they created marriage.)

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,820 times
I guess I kind of believe in marriage... as in it works for some and doesn't for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships