Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drearth View Post
as a single guy with no kids, who has dated single moms in the past, there are many obstacles to overcome.

1. Her kids will always be #1...always.
-this will usually leave little time for dates, travel, and all of the fun stuff new couples do in the beginning of a relationship.

-want to spend a weekend somewhere? Do something spontaneous? Not gonna happen without planning.

2. Is a guy really ready for a life of soccer games, basketball, ballet recitals, pta meetings, and so on?
-face it...most single moms are fully involved with everything kid related for obvious reasons. If a guy has no experience with that, it can come as foreign territory.

Often times, the two will have completely different sets of goals. One wants a house with good schools, and the other wants a penthouse in the city center.

Thus, it takes a special guy to accept all of that and more, and is usually the reason single mothers date older men.
with kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Kay Hymowitz is an author who cannot grasp that men are different from her. She expects men to share the same value system as women.

Some men apparently share a similar value system. She failed when she ridiculed those who don't. Emasculation? Lol, so far from the truth.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
I think if you're a single mom, then you should be looking for a male in a similar situation.

That way you'll both have something in common.

When I was single I dated a guy with a daughter he had custody of, it wasn't always easy.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
Basically saying I am not allowed to have the same expectations from a relationship as I would have in the past.
You shouldn't have the same expectations you had before.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Honestly you sound like someone who never faced a lot of rejection, and now you think no one should ever reject you. You're the peach, the one who picks and chooses, not men. Perhaps that's not what you're trying to say, but that's how you sound.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post

Some men apparently share a similar value system. She failed when she ridiculed those who don't. Emasculation? Lol, so far from the truth.
Now all the gals KNOW why "WE" fired bombed in!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,752 times
just be ur self.....don't let anyone judge u or in anyway...it shows ur a stronger woman! i'm a single mom of 4 and my 4 kid's dad left me for a man.....heck men an't perfect no one is life is full of suprise just at least expected the unexpected when it comes around at least u're showin all people that u doing ur way of livin ur life and ur kids gonna grow up and be thankful that you raisin them in a right way at least they have a good mom

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM

No MAN is less of a MAN for going after what "she" should have waited for the first time!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Thus, it takes a special guy to accept all of that and more, and is usually the reason single mothers date older men.
Just for the record, Special doesn't mean better in this case. But yea, It does take a Special guy. *(pun intended)

Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 PM

817 posts, read 811,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
Had you read further back before insulting me personally, I clarified the scale thing earlier on in the discussion.....

"One thing in particular that depressed me was a kid who said that single moms had to lower their standards because they were desperate. So a 10 woman, who would normally date 10s, would be left to date 6s if she were a mom. Brutal"

Just for the record because I feel as though people are taking what I wrote in my original post out of context. A person from a previous post mentioned the scale indicator in relation to what single moms have to face in the dating field. That was not my idea, thought process, etc. I found it incredibly insulting which is why I posted on here. For the exact reason that because they said that as a single mom one has to "lower their standards" Basically saying I am not allowed to have the same expectations from a relationship as I would have in the past.
Yes, because you are not the same person from the past, are you? In the past, you would have been a 20 something young single women, quite a catch for most men old or young, now, you are a 20 something single mom, not so attractive anymore for the younger folks are you, the older one's might be more understanding of the situation.

Also, a bad relationship might indicate to a lot of people that you make poor choices in life, even when it comes to major life changing situations, and that may not be attractive to a lot of people, again, not saying it's your fault, but most people might look at it that way and that you have your share of blame in failing to make it a successful relationship, in case the selection of the man itself had been a wiser one to begin with.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
Honestly you sound like someone who never faced a lot of rejection, and now you think no one should ever reject you. You're the peach, the one who picks and chooses, not men. Perhaps that's not what you're trying to say, but that's how you sound.
This is very possible. Those of us that are frustrated by Noelle's attitude toward romance are the ones that have been repeatedly rejected by women like Noelle. Maybe it is just hitting her a little later (and possibly a little harder). Think about what it's like dealing with that your whole life and you'll know why some are bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships