Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM

10,181 posts, read 20,816,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
The Seattle grunge explosion, for one. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Stone Temple Pilots aren't from Seattle but they're still rockin, as are the Foo Fighters.

Another great hard rock band is Clutch. They started off with a more hardcore sound but recently have been sounding more bluesy. I love their work.

Dream Theater and Tool are notable progressive metal bands, definitely a trip (especially Dream Theater).

Surely you know Nine Inch Nails? They basically finished a couple years ago, but they've been making material since '89.
Be happy you didn't grow up in the 80's or your choices would be pop English bands or hair bands.

I was fortunate enough to grow up around three generations of family and an ethnically diverse neighborhood, so I was exposed to several genres of music that I enjoy to this day. I spent 20 years as a DJ in bars and clubs and I've had to endure my share of bad music as well. It's one of the reasons I retired myself from the business, I could no longer tolerate 6 hours of pretentious, obnoxious crap that passes for music now.

There are a few good rock bands today that stand out above the "cookie monster lyrics" type bands that are popular in metal today.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,649,049 times
Quote:
e: Phil I agree. I don't mind listening to Top 40 pop/hip-hop in the car if it's someone else's car, but I never listen to it on my own volition. That's why I don't like clubs... I'd rather go to a seedy dive bar that plays hard rock. Or even a country bar (and I don't even listen to country).
Amen! The funny thing is we get mostly blue-collar types here - construction workers, bikers, mechanics - and the girls insist on playing 50 Cent when what the guys want to hear is David Allan Coe and Metallica.

Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, etc - I'm cool with them, at least some of their stuff. Depends upon my mood, too - sometimes I just HAVE to hear the theme song from "Barney The Dinosaur (http://youtu.be/kLKFVetMZ_8 - broken link)" or I get all medieval on people!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
Quote:
The Seattle grunge explosion, for one. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Stone Temple Pilots aren't from Seattle but they're still rockin, as are the Foo Fighters.

Another great hard rock band is Clutch. They started off with a more hardcore sound but recently have been sounding more bluesy. I love their work.

Dream Theater and Tool are notable progressive metal bands, definitely a trip (especially Dream Theater).

Surely you know Nine Inch Nails? They basically finished a couple years ago, but they've been making material since '89.

e: Phil I agree. I don't mind listening to Top 40 pop/hip-hop in the car if it's someone else's car, but I never listen to it on my own volition. That's why I don't like clubs... I'd rather go to a seedy dive bar that plays hard rock. Or even a country bar (and I don't even listen to country).
Go tool around in the music forum Hurricane you'll find all kinds of music sorted by genre and it's old school and new stuff. Try taking a little of all of it for a test drive.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Amen! The funny thing is we get mostly blue-collar types here - construction workers, bikers, mechanics - and the girls insist on playing 50 Cent when what the guys want to hear is David Allan Coe and Metallica.

Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, etc - I'm cool with them, at least some of their stuff. Depends upon my mood, too - sometimes I just HAVE to hear the theme song from "Barney The Dinosaur (http://youtu.be/kLKFVetMZ_8 - broken link)" or I get all medieval on people!
"I love you, you love me........."

Old 05-30-2011, 10:15 AM

"I hate you, you hate me, we are a dysfunctional family."

Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,312,818 times
I love almost all styles of rock, from classic to alternative post-grunge, but I can enjoy music from just about every genre.

I'm listening to Breaking Benjamin right now, to be followed by Staind, Incubus and then Lenny Kravitz.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Every generation says this.... but music now really does suck........

I say this growing up and digging the cheesy hair metal bands of the 80's.......

Music is f ing garbage.... the justin biebers of the world have taken over...... rap, while I don't care for it.... back in the 80's at least it meant something... now its coporate controlled ran by stuffy old f cking white men...... garbage......
Hey! I resemble that remark!

I know what you mean. Just remember, our parents probably said the same about OUR tastes in music...

Eh - give me Bach and Mozart any day. Oh, and the Chinese All-Star Buddhist Temple Band - their live version of "Another Brick In The Wall" is awesome, and the candle-light-show has to be seen to be believed!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM

I'm old school blues and the point where many, many popular bands are really based.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,312,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Be happy you didn't grow up in the 80's or your choices would be pop English bands or hair bands.

I was fortunate enough to grow up around three generations of family and an ethnically diverse neighborhood, so I was exposed to several genres of music that I enjoy to this day. I spent 20 years as a DJ in bars and clubs and I've had to endure my share of bad music as well. It's one of the reasons I retired myself from the business, I could no longer tolerate 6 hours of pretentious, obnoxious crap that passes for music now.

There are a few good rock bands today that stand out above the "cookie monster lyrics" type bands that are popular in metal today.
I'm sure you recall the Guido club music that was popular back then.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
"I hate you, you hate me, we are a dysfunctional family."

I have a slightly more warped version rolling around in my head -

"I * you, you * me, we orgasm simultaneously..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships