Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you ask the father for permission to marry his daughter?
Yes 29 52.73%
No 26 47.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM

121 posts, read 248,681 times

Advertisements

15 years ago I asked her father for permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,730 times
DH didn't and my parents were pissed LOL

Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
No, you are right...it is not.

BUT, as a female, I think it would be a very sweet, endearing and humble gesture to the dad....he is, after all, "losing his little girl" to you.....and you would be confirming how special she is to you, as she is to him....

but only a few guys could pull it off well, most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's not his permission to give, is it?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Of course, then there's always the father who begs, bribes, threatens and cajoles the boyfriend to marry his daughter and take her off his hands!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
My husband asked my father for permission to marry me. He did it to show my father respect. He then officially proposed to me a week later.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
I would be offended by any guy who asked my parents' permission to marry me and I've told my parents to send any guy who comes asking to me because I'm the only one whose opinion matters. They wouldn't do that, though, as I don't think they care either way. 2 of my 3 sisters' husbands asked permission and they don't feel any resentment to the one who doesn't.

I don't care about the traditional aspect, it offends me and makes me feel like I'm a piece of property or an incompetent child.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
No. They were in Australia when I proposed. Also, my future SIL totaled the family car. So when they returned, they had a wrecked car and an engaged daughter.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,282,735 times
We didn’t necessarily “ask for permission” to each other’s’ families but we did talk to our families in a big family reunion to announce our engagement. My girlfriend and I travelled to her country where her family is. I took my parents with me. We arranged an evening in a restaurant where we enjoyed a nice dinner and after that we both gave our speech. I talked to her family about it, she talked to mine about it, we expressed what we wanted to do, how we were going to take care of each other, etc. both families talked to us and showed they were happy for us and celebrated together. The remaining days both families, my girl, and I, went out and did the touristy thing. Beautiful experience we will share with our children.

We could have continued our plans without considering our families but it is just a way to honor and respect their position.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
I didn't vote since I'm not a guy but my husband did talk to my dad. I don't remember if he "asked" for permission but did tell my dad that he wanted to marry me and ask for his blessing. He said my dad's response was, "You want to marry her, then marry her." LOL...I do think it was a nice gesture and I'm sure my dad was happy that hubby did it. I guess it showed a sign of respect to my dad.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
The matter of respect has come up a number of times in this thread. My youngest daughter got married about eight months ago. My wife and I were misinformed by her regarding the wedding. It was presented as more of an elopement. It wasn't. She had a wedding and had someone else walk her down the aisle. Her, now, husband never communicated with us (we live 2,000 miles way), never introduced himself to us even by phone and hasn't to this day. I finally remonstrated with my daughter about the total lack of courtesy and the disrespect on both their parts and now I'm not burdened with communications from either of them. They're expecting a child in August.

So it goes. I'm still a traditionalist and I'm not going to lower my standards of proper deportment for anyone. Too many already have. I'm standing firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships