Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
If you are a medical student than me too
Im sure...well then you are going to get your licence pulled or face a malpractice suit rather soon for giving incorrect medical advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Ahh, another taboo topic..My favorite!
"Deny, deny, deny and lets pretend is doesn't exist!"

"The worlds oldest profession!"

I talked to a doc that specialized in testing for STD's in the LA area and his take on it was that transmission of most STD's in his patients is lower than what most people in society would have you believe. I think if you look at Brothel std statistics in Nevada you will also see that stds are not as transmissible as some would tell you with safe sex practices. Some of the woman in Brothels can see up to a 1000 customers a year and contract no STDs.

There’s a lot of information on it out there;
"Prostitutes are not a major source of STD-spread. Only 3-5% of STDs are prostitution-related, compared to 30-35% which is teen-related. Despite the bunk propagated by zealous anti-prostitution advocates, prostitutes are not a major source of STD-spread, and (indeed) this suggests that they are not particularly vulnerable to STDs. This is probably because prostitutes are highly aware of safe-sex, as it is a necessity in their business, and always use condoms and other devices to make sex safer."

Prostitution should be legal: the statistics prove it || kuro5hin.org

Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
My friend's best friend in Germany acted like it was perfectly normal to go see a prostitute to take care of needs.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:03 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My friend's best friend in Germany acted like it was perfectly normal to go see a prostitute to take care of needs.
Several of my European and Asian colleagues have the same view. They ask me to take them to Gentlemens club and solicit the girls.

It has been going on for a few years...

Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
And in some countries prostitution is actually legal.

Americans can be so prudish.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
HPV and herpes are so common and easily transferrable that I'd imagine there are few prostitutes out there who don't run a really high risk of carrying one or both. If that's no big deal to guys, whatever, but it would be to me (and probably to any girlfriends they have).

Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I've been traveling a bit over the past few months, all over SE Asia. I'm an extremely cautious type (almost to the point of paranoia) when it comes to my sex partners and would never in a million years dream of engaging in sexual relations with someone I don't know extremely well. Now, this is not on moral grounds, could care less about that...but rather because I consider it very high risk.

However, I have met hordes of western tourists in countries like Thailand and Philippines who readily admit that they frequent prostitutes. And these are not some old, ugly men... even younger, good looking guys who could easily find women but prefer to just visit prostitutes because they don't want relationship ties.

Most of these guys say visiting prostitutes is safe. They base it on the fact that:

1) HIV is not easily transmissible
2) Condoms are highly effective at preventing HIV

Every argument seems to revolve around HIV. Little is discussed about other potentially fatal STDs such as Hepatitis B which is 100 times more contagious than HIV and can also live outside the body for a week making contracting it quite likely. There is NO cure for Hepatitis B.

Is the medical community to blame for instilling a sense of confidence in people that if they use condoms then everything must be safe? Condoms do not prevent many STDs that can cause serious health complications. The medical community needs to do more to emphasize the extreme dangers of having sex with prostitutes.

Thoughts?
There's vaccines against hepatitis. A lot of people here in sweden go to Asia, Thailand in particlar, they always take the vaccines, against both hepatitis and loads of other things that you can get, not only from humans but from other sources as well.
Edit: did some checking on hepatitis:
Hep A and B do not lead to chronic hepatitis, and there are vaccines against both. these are also the ones that are easiest to get infected by.
Hep C is considered just barely possible to get through sex, and is almost only spread through blood-to blood transfer (like if you end up in an asian hospital who don't check their donors blood)
Hep D can only be gotten if you already have hep B
Hep E is like Hep A, with the exception for pregnant women, for whom it can be dangerous.
Hep G is not longer considered a hepatitis, and from what I read will dissapear in a few years after getting the infection.

So for a vaccined individual there is little to worry about considering Hepatitis unless you get injured and end up ina low-class hospital.

I've also heard people who go to the US and other countries in America take these types of vaccines, because you simply carry way more crap than we do.

I wouldn't feel any safety issues as long as I used a condom. Then again we do produce some of the safest condoms in the world.
Neither do I see any moral issues.

For me the main issue with prostitutes is that it won't satisfy me mentally to know she's only moaning over my €, rather than the pleasure of being in bed with me.

But for a person who have a strictly physical need I don't see any problem with using a prostitute.

Last edited by SwedishViking; 04-27-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
According to HIV InSite. The US has 6 times the HIV/AIDS rate as does Germany. so much for the Godless Germans! It's interesting that the most well to do countries in Europe are the ones where prostitution is legal and the most backwards countries it is illegal?

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-27-2011 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Is the medical community to blame for instilling a sense of confidence in people that if they use condoms then everything must be safe?
i blame the airlines for flying people over there.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
I've been traveling a bit over the past few months, all over SE Asia. I'm an extremely cautious type (almost to the point of paranoia) when it comes to my sex partners and would never in a million years dream of engaging in sexual relations with someone I don't know extremely well. Now, this is not on moral grounds, could care less about that...but rather because I consider it very high risk.

However, I have met hordes of western tourists in countries like Thailand and Philippines who readily admit that they frequent prostitutes. And these are not some old, ugly men... even younger, good looking guys who could easily find women but prefer to just visit prostitutes because they don't want relationship ties.

Most of these guys say visiting prostitutes is safe. They base it on the fact that:

1) HIV is not easily transmissible
2) Condoms are highly effective at preventing HIV

Every argument seems to revolve around HIV. Little is discussed about other potentially fatal STDs such as Hepatitis B which is 100 times more contagious than HIV and can also live outside the body for a week making contracting it quite likely. There is NO cure for Hepatitis B.

Is the medical community to blame for instilling a sense of confidence in people that if they use condoms then everything must be safe? Condoms do not prevent many STDs that can cause serious health complications. The medical community needs to do more to emphasize the extreme dangers of having sex with prostitutes.

Thoughts?
The safety is not something I'm concerned with. If you're aware of the risk involved with having sex with someone who has sex with multiple partners, then you're taking your life into your own hands - and I would guess that they're also "betting men" - with a roll of the dice your life could change forever.

I think staying away from prostitutes would be the morally correct thing to do especially considering many of the women in brothels in SE Asia are victims of human trafficking. Paying for sex with a prostitute in SE Asia would only be reinforcing that tragedy which is the reality they live with daily. They are sex slaves.

I'm not sure men think about this when they go to these women for sex. If I were a man I would be disgusted with myself if I knew I was contributing to their emotional pain by paying to have sex with them. How can you find the pleasure in that? If you need a sexual release that desperately, have a one night stand in Las Vegas.

I don't understand how any man could feel good about himself paying for sex with any prostitute. I guess it's like trying to separate a hungry dog from meat. The dog doesn't care where the meat came from, the dog knows only that he's hungry and is going to eat it.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 04-27-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships