Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
It is really bad for a young person to be alone because most crave to have someone in their life.
Isn't it this mentality that leads people to become desperate and needy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Change the thread name!!

To: what is positive about being alone! There would be lots of great replies and suggestions!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
As a guy, I always feel like I have to jump through hoops to just to get a date. Even though having companionship would be nice It's just not worth the amount of effort and stress it takes to get a girlfriend. I'd rather not go out and embarrass myself or be labeled a creeper. I rather focus on my school and career.

Unfortunately my roommates don't feel the same way and say I should play the game and if I don't than I will become a sad, lonely and miserable old man.

Is being alone really that bad? I rather spend my life alone than humiliate myself trying to get a woman's attention.

Women, Can't live with them................"The End"

Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'd like to see the causes of death for those that never found someone soon enough.
If the majority cause was suicide or violent death due to partaking in the extreme sport of instigating, then it's a non-issue.

Although I do feel like I'm alone and long for cuddling with a cutie, I just repeat to myself, "It's all puppy love and hummingbirds at first, but then comes changing diapers, letting her know where you're at all times,. etc"

Then again, being in a relationship of some type could also prevent one from taking on risky job-assignments or other tasks/activities that would be otherwise life-threatening.
I guess this is why we see a lot of married/were-married/in-a-relationship cops, soldiers, and firemen.
They've got something to live for and would less-likely be viewed as those who think of life as a "throwaway product".

I occasionally jump into the "searching" part of the mating game, but I don't do it quite as heavily as I attempted to do so during 16-19 yrs old.
Too many rejections led to a heavy temper and I luckily stopped myself before things got ugly.
For now, it'll happen if it wants to happen, I really have no say in the matter except for keeping my "coping skills with rejection" up to par.
I'm pretty sure it was due to natural causes, but I can't cite references.

I'm a huge proponent of being happy with what you have. There is a HUGE upside to being single, and a HUGE upside to being in a happy relationship. There is no upside to being in crappy relationships.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was due to natural causes, but I can't cite references.

I'm a huge proponent of being happy with what you have. There is a HUGE upside to being single, and a HUGE upside to being in a happy relationship. There is no upside to being in crappy relationships.
^^^THIS

Old 05-13-2011, 11:39 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
Quote:
Can you highlight what part of my statement bothers you. The girl I was responding to felt the need to make a personal attack based on the choice I made. And yes I have heard it before. If she decides to call me a sissy because I decide not to play the dating game than I don't need her respect because its not worth anything.

Quite frankly I don't have to prove crap to anyone.
hmm..I was not attacking you. But you do not sound like someone who wants to be alone, you sound like someone who just gave up, for whatever reason and therefore are choosing to be alone. I guess I was trying to say to you that dating is hard and pretty awful, so suck it up or be alone if you want.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:50 PM

858 posts, read 1,146,169 times
Quote:
As a guy, I always feel like I have to jump through hoops to just to get a date. Even though having companionship would be nice It's just not worth the amount of effort and stress it takes to get a girlfriend. I'd rather not go out and embarrass myself or be labeled a creeper. I rather focus on my school and career.

Unfortunately my roommates don't feel the same way and say I should play the game and if I don't than I will become a sad, lonely and miserable old man.

Is being alone really that bad? I rather spend my life alone than humiliate myself trying to get a woman's attention.
I think you're putting way too much pressure on yourself. Just relax and be social and charming anytime you come across women, be it the first time or someone you come across on a regular basis. If something develops great, if not, well you didnt have high expectations to begin with and you seem to be content with being alone. At the very least some of these will develop into friendships. If you have a likable personality I can almost assure you that you will find someone, especially someone who is your equal in attractiveness, traits etc.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
hmm..I was not attacking you. But you do not sound like someone who wants to be alone, you sound like someone who just gave up, for whatever reason and therefore are choosing to be alone.
My thought also. If the OP had said that he choose to be alone for whatever reason (concentrating on school, objectives at work, simply preferred it, etc) as his choice I would say no there is nothing wrong with that at all. The thread as started and the jist of it as I understand him to mean is that is it ok to be alone because I find dating degrading and hurtful. This is a different thing altogether.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Quote:

What kind of effort are you talking about? What hoops? What game? The kind of games kids play in the park? Tell me........

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...as my mom used to tell me.

IT sounds like, your approach is off.........

Why are you "trying" to get women's attention.

No wonder why it's a struggle for you....you're making it a struggle. You don't have to try to get anyone's attention. By the time you even notice a gal, she's already checked you out and if not interested, she's moved on.......while your trying to get her attention, she's already "bounced" on down the road......

I will say this, with women you have to give them a reason to give you: a date, phone number, etc.....I know it sounds like a riddle but watch out for my thread for further explanation.

Example: Have you ever observed a guy trying to pick up a gal while she's in route(in motion, walking)to some place? He almost always gets turned down. Why? He hasn't given her a reason why she should stop and talk to him.

Physics: Things in motion remain in motion until met with something that causes it to stop. :0)

You're a "telemarketer"..........you're calling people that have no interest in what you're selling. Not because they don't need your product but because you've given them no reason to want it.

It's time for Ronnie to create a thread: How NOT to get a date---For Rookies Only.

Coming soon......

Last edited by Ron.; 05-14-2011 at 05:04 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

What kind of effort are you talking about? What hoops? What game? The kind of games kids play in the park? Tell me........

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...as my mom used to tell me.

IT sounds like, your approach is off.........

Why are you "trying" to get women's attention.

No wonder why it's a struggle for you....you're making it a struggle. You don't have to try to get anyone's attention. By the time you even notice a gal, she's already checked you out and if not interested, she's moved on.......while your trying to get her attention, she's already "bounced" on down the road......

I will say this, with women you have to give them a reason to give you: a date, phone number, etc.....I know it sounds like a riddle but watch out for my thread for further explanation.

Example: Have you ever observed a guy trying to pick up a gal while she's in route(in motion, walking)to some place? He almost always gets turned down. Why? He hasn't given her a reason why she should stop and talk to him.

Physics: Things in motion remain in motion until met with something that causes it to stop. :0)

You're a "telemarketer"..........you're calling people that have no interest in what you're selling. Not because they don't need your product but because you've given them no reason to want it.

It's time for Ronnie to create a thread: How NOT to get a date---For Rookies Only.

Coming soon......
Your advice is already falling on deaf ears. I've decided to be alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships