Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important are a potential wife or husbands religious beleifs to you?
Religious beleifs are VERY important 36 56.25%
Religious beleifs are somewhat important 18 28.13%
Religious beleifs are not important at all 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM

22 posts, read 63,791 times

Advertisements

is important, I'm Buddhist, choosed because I agree with their value, but I'm not religious type. I would like my partner an atheist/agnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,261,072 times
Great thread!! I'm Christian and my bf was raised in a Christian and Muslim household but he considers himself a non-practicing Muslim. We have been dating almost a year now. We have many interesting conversation regarding God, religion, scripture, etc.. I don't press my beliefs on him (and he doesn't on me eithet) however I find it rather interesting that he appears to lean toward Christianity more than anything. He has gone to my church with me on several occassions and I don't force him to go. Sometimes he just says he will meet me there or he'll even take me. The people know him at church and they are nice to him. Sometimes it seems he is really into what the minister is preaching about...again, no pressure from me.

We have talked about a future together i.e. marriage and kids and I have asked what religion the children will be and he has said, the religion that their mother follow.

Years ago, I would have never dated a man that was not of the same religion but life has a way to teaching you to see things differently. My bf is an awesome man and I couldn't have asked for anyone better.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:28 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Respect is what's important. Some people can and do respect others who do not hold the same religious beliefs as them. Some people cannot and do not. The second category does not represent people I'd prefer to spend time with, let alone date.

I'm a lifelong member of a pretty liberal, tolerant, mainline protestant, non-evangelical Christian church. I consider my faith to be personal, and am not much for witnessing/proselytizing, etc., and never really experienced that stuff in my church. If somebody asks me about my religion, I'll talk to them about it, but I don't ordinarily bring it up unprompted.

My boyfriend of several years is a lapsed Catholic who struggles with faith, and has variously considered himself to be atheist, agnostic, and spiritual but not religious throughout his adult life. He is the first to admit that he's not sure what he believes, if anything.

None the less, we do fine. My only real issue with religion and others are that I find people who ridicule the beliefs of others to be rude and offensive.
This describes my beliefs almost perfectly--no reason to write it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I voted not important to me. I was raised Christan and taught to love all gods creatures without judgement. And I personally don't think any religion is wrong in the right hands. Its the zealots that mess things up and twist the words to reflect what the want to. No god tells you to blow people up or hate gay people. The spiritual struggle is supposed to be contained within. Not spat out as caustic hate on others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
Very important, but maybe now how you'd think

I'm a christian, and I could get serious with an atheist, a jew, agnostic, "nature-lover" or whatever. I could never get serious with someone who was entrenched and fundamental in their beliefs though.
I'd be the same way and more likely to be with an agnostic than an evangelical Christian--I've found that I have questions about my faith that go far beyond what most of them seem to be willing to tolerate. I'm not bashing their beliefs but I just can't relate.

I also don't think I could be with an atheist, because atheism seems just as intolerant of questions as a fundamentalist of any faith and most atheists that I've met don't seem to be willing to discuss religion at all unless it's to put it down and I feel a deep need to discuss these things with a partner.

Well I guess that I've talked myself round to admitting that I'd most likely be with someone who is not sure what he believes--lots of fodder for conversations.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Same, I'm not a fundamentalist Christian, and don't identify much with those who I've met. Some people think that all those who consider themselves Christian are fundamentalist and/or evangelicals, but my experience doesn't really support that. Some people think that all churchgoers are socially and politically conservative, but, again, this hasn't been my personal experience with my church, either. Some people think that it's bit possible to be Christian and respect the views of other religions or world views...again, not reflective of my experience.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,769,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Same, I'm not a fundamentalist Christian, and don't identify much with those who I've met. Some people think that all those who consider themselves Christian are fundamentalist and/or evangelicals, but my experience doesn't really support that. Some people think that all churchgoers are socially and politically conservative, but, again, this hasn't been my personal experience with my church, either. Some people think that it's bit possible to be Christian and respect the views of other religions or world views...again, not reflective of my experience.
Lol same here...very Christian, but definitely *not* fundamentalist Christian.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,647,163 times
I'm atheist. Cannot be with a person who follows a deist religion. Very important.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,913,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Agreed 100% with you and Ulysses: if a so-called "Christian", doesn't walk the walk, and actually practice what s/he preaches, IMO there's nothing "Christian" about them.

(The other irony is, a lot of these kind of ppl will also tell you that "good works", don't matter either -- nuff said )
No . . . they do NOT say that "good works" do not matter. This shows what little you know about the people you judge. The Bible infact places great importance on good works saying "Faith, if it hath no WORKS, is dead" But I might add that works without faith are just as dead

Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,664,943 times
It's important I guess, but good spelling ability is even more important... do you remember this gem -- "i" before "e" except after "c"?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,857,800 times
The Bible tells followers of Christ (Believers) NOT to be unequally yoked together with non-believers. Christianity is not a "religion", but rather, God's plan for people to find eternal life and enter into a personal relationship with God.

I often counsel people who claim 'irreconcilable differences' ... based on having almost entirely different values, approaches to life and beliefs. Invariably, the reality is that those same differences existed BEFORE they were married, but, one chose to ignore/reject God's admonition.

If a believer and a non-believer are already 'unequally yoked', the Bible admonishes the believer to stay with the non-believer and seek reconciliation between themselves and God.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,769,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The Bible tells followers of Christ (Believers) NOT to be unequally yoked together with non-believers. Christianity is not a "religion", but rather, God's plan for people to find eternal life and enter into a personal relationship with God.

I often counsel people who claim 'irreconcilable differences' ... based on having almost entirely different values, approaches to life and beliefs. Invariably, the reality is that those same differences existed BEFORE they were married, but, one chose to ignore/reject God's admonition.

If a believer and a non-believer are already 'unequally yoked', the Bible admonishes the believer to stay with the non-believer and seek reconciliation between themselves and God.
If you look further in the bible, it actually contradicts the "yoked" statement. It also mentions (which I believe I have posted here on C-D, several times now -- paraphrasing here -- "An unbelieving spouse, is saved by a believing spouse"). Again I posted the exact verses, several times already...lol.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-20-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships