Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I just think she has incredible bone structure and when she's all decked out is truly stunning. I would classify her everyday look as exotic and sexy, but not stunning

I feel sorry for the OP because her complaint about the guy she "adores" seems just downright petty.

I'm with the men on this one, what's a guy supposed to do when women like our OP can make it so hard just be be nice??
Tell you what: I'll say she's stunning when she's pregnant and has a little meat on her bones. Then yes, she has a stunning face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As someone who has a hard time taking a compliment, I'd be extremely flattered by "very pretty". "You are the single most gorgeous woman on planet earth!" or "insanely beautiful" or "stunning" would make me think, "what's your game, friend? I will not be inheriting any money, nor do I have a trust fund."
LOL! I was thinking the same damned thing.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
I don't know what to say at all. I read the whole thread...started to sing, "I Feel Pretty"...decided that was ignorant...so, I would say thank you...and let it go.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
So I figure, maybe if I don't adore him, then I won't be phased by his not seeing me as beautiful, gorgeous, or stunning (which are words men use to describe women to whom they're actually attracted). So I presume this guy isn't physically attracted to me due to the wording in "very pretty".

I like to think I'm a reasonable person so I know this must seem very silly, but it's been my observation that a man does not call his girlfriend or wife "very pretty"; they use "beautiful" and "gorgeous" or "stunning," instead of "pretty". These are words men use to describe women they think are generally attractive, but are not specially attracted to them. AKA, the nice way to say "eh you're alright, but not my type."

Would I be correct in believing this man is just not that into me, and to just blow him off and stay just friends?

AddEdit: This thread is related.

The Difference Between "Cute" and "Hot/ Sexy" and "Pretty"
If this guy is dating you and he said you are very pretty, he meant it as a compliment.

If this is a guy you want to date and he told you that you are very pretty, then if he's saying that and not asking for a date, it does mean he thinks you're attractive, but you're not date material.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
If you're obsessing over the meaning of being told you are "very pretty", you have way more to worry about than what he thinks of your appearance.

Last edited by solytaire; 05-16-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
I just think she has incredible bone structure and when she's all decked out is truly stunning. I would classify her everyday look as exotic and sexy, but not stunning

I feel sorry for the OP because her complaint about the guy she "adores" seems just downright petty.

I'm with the men on this one, what's a guy supposed to do when women like our OP can make it so hard just to be nice??
Yes, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I also cannot imagine being upset from being called "very pretty". I wonder if OP is not as much upset, as she is confused.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:26 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
Bad judgment on your part. I'm a Black woman and I don't think it has anything to do with race...

And I'm not complaining, I'm questioning the use of words and how they convey a level of attraction. What man tells his wife or girlfriend that she's "pretty"? No, she's not pretty. He would say that she's beautiful at the least. I just don't like to waste time blushing over people who aren't physically attracted to me, but I'm taking some of the feedback here into consideration into whether I'm judging this reasonably or not.
Quite honestly, I would read less into the "very pretty" versus "beautiful" and more into the fact that he apparently hasn't asked you out. Right? If a man wants a woman, he generally pursues her. If he isn't pursuing her, chances are he isn't interested. If you truly feel you can't move forward without wondering why, you could always ask him out. Or you could try flirting a bit and see how he reacts. But chances are if he was interested, you'd know.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Yes, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I also cannot imagine being upset from being called "very pretty". I wonder if OP is not as much upset, as she is confused.
Or maybe just really young and watching too much tv?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 PM

366 posts, read 774,976 times
Default Say what you want, but...

Quote:
Bad judgment on your part. I'm a Black woman and I don't think it has anything to do with race...

And I'm not complaining, I'm questioning the use of words and how they convey a level of attraction. What man tells his wife or girlfriend that she's "pretty"? No, she's not pretty. He would say that she's beautiful at the least. I just don't like to waste time blushing over people who aren't physically attracted to me, but I'm taking some of the feedback here into consideration into whether I'm judging this reasonably or not.
...if you're that upset over your SO referring to you as "very pretty," then I pray for his sake and hope he smartens up so he can "gets the hell out of Dodge."

Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Or Angelina Jolie

I agree, a true "stunning" beauty is not very commonplace.
Heheh...I never thought Angelina was very pretty, to tell you the truth IMO, Angelina is kinda like a 6 (at best)...

Now, give me Grace Kelly, Anne Margaret, Blythe Danner, Vanessa Williams...all stunning and 10's, in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships