Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,658 times

Advertisements

So I figure, maybe if I don't adore him, then I won't be phased by his not seeing me as beautiful, gorgeous, or stunning (which are words men use to describe women to whom they're actually attracted). So I presume this guy isn't physically attracted to me due to the wording in "very pretty".

I like to think I'm a reasonable person so I know this must seem very silly, but it's been my observation that a man does not call his girlfriend or wife "very pretty"; they use "beautiful" and "gorgeous" or "stunning," instead of "pretty". These are words men use to describe women they think are generally attractive, but are not specially attracted to them. AKA, the nice way to say "eh you're alright, but not my type."

Would I be correct in believing this man is just not that into me, and to just blow him off and stay just friends?

AddEdit: This thread is related.

The Difference Between "Cute" and "Hot/ Sexy" and "Pretty"

Last edited by Yiuppy; 05-15-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Um....from my dating experiences this could go either way. Some men just don't know all the rules to the dating game. Some are just dumb. lol Some say it to sound nice. Some say it yes as "Well you are alright, but don't make the wang go up" So to speak. Think of it this way, you would rather be called a Pretty woman than a dog "Woof" or "Damn someone got hit by the ugly stick".
And stay friends for now, who knows what will happen.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
So I figure, maybe if I don't adore him, then I won't be phased by his not seeing me as beautiful, gorgeous, or stunning (which are words men use to describe women to whom they're actually attracted). So I presume this guy isn't physically attracted to me due to the wording in "very pretty".

I like to think I'm a reasonable person so I know this must seem very silly, but it's been my observation that a man does not call his girlfriend or wife "very pretty"; they use "beautiful" and "gorgeous" or "stunning," instead of "pretty". These are words men use to describe women they think are generally attractive, but are not specially attracted to them. AKA, the nice way to say "eh you're alright, but not my type."

Would I be correct in believing this man is just not that into me, and to just blow him off and stay just friends?

You clearly need a hobby - you have WAY too much time on your hands!

"Very pretty" is a very nice compliment

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-15-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 10:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
If I told a woman that she was very pretty, it would indicate that I was attracted to her in some way.

But if she reacted negatively to the compliment, I'd assume she was stuck up and not worth anymore effort. I'd toss her out like a bad habit.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If I told a woman that she was very pretty, it would indicate that I was attracted to her in some way.

But if she reacted negatively to the compliment, I'd assume she was stuck up and not worth anymore effort. I'd toss her out like a bad habit.
LOL! I didn't respond negatively to him. I have manners. But this is what I was thinking, lol. Jee whiz.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:23 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Hate being called "very pretty" by a man I adore

Try "very petty" on for size.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,737 times
You do have a problem, either you think too much or not enough. So far I haven't figured out just which it is. Why worry about something so damn insignificant that it doesn't matter to anyone? Be lucky he didn't just say you're an okay old broad.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
Wow you are very insecure and you are way overthinking it....."very pretty" can def. mean you are attractive to him.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,816,709 times
Seriously? Seriously. Seriously???

Old 05-15-2011, 10:29 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Are you actually complaining about being called pretty.

You must be a white person... only white people complain about BS like this.........

Yes, I'm a white guy.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships