Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times

Advertisements

Yes, when i first came to Denmark, I met and was attracted to a lovely, Iranian lady. We had a brief fling. I was sad to see her go. I enjoy trying to get inside the heads of foreign ladies, to find out how my own cultural background differs from theirs. She was far more like an American than any Danish girl I ever met, only more civilized...perhaps closer to Canadian. She was also a secular person and we never talked about religion.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Iranians can be Christian, Muslim or Jewish.

Not all "middle easterners" are the same, although they generally have similar looks.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
I just noticed that another thread was closed with the reason given being that it was about race. I was thinking this one would be closed as well. Even though it's more about an ethnic group/nationality, there are enough similarities in commentary. Thought it was curious that this one's still going. Maybe because it was given a political spin *shrug*

I know a few people who would have said yes before 9/11 but now would say no just because they now associate Middle Eastern peoples with potential religious or terrorist drama they don't want to deal with, especially if it's someone with family back there who may one day feel like they need to go back there to stay with or see for one reason or another.

I'll date any background as long as they don't feel too strongly about something I don't want my life to revolve around. The politics only matter if the person is directly invested in or connected to some of the issues going on and that would be when I'd say "nope" though there are plenty of groups that applies to for me.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
A big yes I always admired people from the Middle East.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I have

Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malijac View Post
I am from the Middle East (Iran to be specific), a Christian, Caucasian living in New Mexico. I do have a slight accent. When I meet women and they ask me where I am from, I always have this underlying fear that they would not be interested in me due to animosity between the governments.

So I want to ask this question: would you date someone from the Middle East? Would you care?
Probably not. It has nothing to do with international politics. If a culture is known for being misogynistic, I tend to avoid dating men from that culture. I think that's a fairly common female view.

You're probably going to work a little harder to let potential dates see that you aren't misogynistic (assuming that is true). Unfair, but realistic.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Middle eastern women are exotic and hot, so yes I would want to be with one. I have seen several hot middle eastern women in downtown San Jose. I want to say "Salam. can I kiss you?" lol.

She does have to be fairly secular though not a complete atheist, since I am a Deist. If somebody think the universe is 6000 years old etc., I couldn't be with them, regardless of what their religion is called.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 PM

366 posts, read 411,060 times
No thank you. Maybe like a non Muslim 2nd or third generation immigrant, but definitely not a Muslim or recent transplant. Sorry, the culture is just too far outside my comfort zone.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malijac View Post
I am from the Middle East (Iran to be specific), a Christian, Caucasian living in New Mexico. I do have a slight accent. When I meet women and they ask me where I am from, I always have this underlying fear that they would not be interested in me due to animosity between the governments.

So I want to ask this question: would you date someone from the Middle East? Would you care?
Good question! First, I have to say that it would NOT be due to animosity between governments. It would be because Middle Easterners have a reputation for being a patriarchal or even misogynistic culture. Treatment of women in the Middle East seems fairly archaic. So I would be hesitant to assume that even a very progressive guy would be able to respect me the way I need to be respected.

I think for me it would depend less on the accent than on how 'Westernized' you appear to me. Are your interests Americanish? Or do we have interests in common? Stuff like that.

Last edited by Stagemomma; 02-17-2015 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Lordy, this is a two year old thread.....

Old 02-17-2015, 09:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Depends. A Christian? Maybe. A Muslim? No way. We would have little in common and not converting. When I did online I did got a lot of responses from Muslim men for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships