Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Well, that's not just not the impression I get from this step-mom. She seems really hung up on manners and etiquette and looks down on her step-DIL because she's not as "refined" - classic snobby syndrome, nothing to necessarily do with the step-son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, that's not just not the impression I get from this step-mom. She seems really hung up on manners and etiquette and looks down on her step-DIL because she's not as "refined" - classic snobby syndrome, nothing to necessarily do with the step-son.
The irony, if the email is not a hoax, is that her email was the antithesis of etiquette and manners. She drew a class line and stepped on the side she was chastising. I know this based on my own MIL who is about as classy as a MIL can be. Barring criminal activity she never utters a bad word about anybody. When I first asked my to-be dh if his mom liked me, he said probably, but there's no way to know for sure. She would never say a word to him about it. Although, now he's confident about how she feels, tho, I know she thinks I'm a bit brazen.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
The MIL didn't sound that bad to me... IDK, I guess I come from the perspective because there are 2 DIL's in our family that are complete arrogant,stingy,selfish,moronic,moral less,stupid,rude,crass, inane,soulless,greedy,self-centered and just complete pigs.

I wish the MIL would check them.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The MIL didn't sound that bad to me... IDK, I guess I come from the perspective because there are 2 DIL's in our family that are complete arrogant,stingy,selfish,moronic,moral less,stupid,rude,crass, inane,soulless,greedy,self-centered and just complete pigs.

I wish the MIL would check them.
You don't think it sounds a bit crazy that she is telling her, or anyone, that guests in home cannot declare what they will and won't eat? That one really annoys me.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You don't think it sounds a bit crazy that she is telling her, or anyone, that guests in home cannot declare what they will and won't eat? That one really annoys me.
Of course no one should do that.... I was just being a little tongue in cheek with my post. Like I posted, I wish the MIL was a little more of a "*****" with her DIL's...... those rude asses could use it.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Of course no one should do that.... I was just being a little tongue in cheek with my post. Like I posted, I wish the MIL was a little more of a "*****" with her DIL's...... those rude asses could use it.
You sound like you have a few pain in the arses in your family. I started a thread not too long about a future SIL I have coming into the family. I don't care for her, but she's not like what you're describing. Ahh, the joys of extended family.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
It is funny when it comes down to it. I noticed that between the two of us my wife has more stringent qualifications on who our kids will marry. I figure that if we have taught our kids how to live and it gets to the time when they have decided to start their own families that we would have done our part and it is up to them to decide who they want to be with. They will have complete resposibillity for making and living with their choice. My wife is more hands on I guess. Her thing is that as soon as you have chosen a person of interest your on your own, but she seems to be ready to offer advice on the kind of girls the boys will go our with. Saying that, she isn't too interested in any of our boys dating anyone at this time, even thought the two younger teens continue to want to try their luck at getting away with dating. (Not sure how much dating a 13 year old can accomplish though.) Lucky us that the kids are not ready for marriage.

I doubt that my wife could ever be as abrasive and condescending as the MIL depicted in the email.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
It annoys me when people are big babies about what they can and can't eat (simply based on preference)...even my friends with real food allergies are able to be quiet and discreet about it. Almost anyone I have met who has been a giant drama queen about what they won't eat is simply stating preference.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It annoys me when people are big babies about what they can and can't eat (simply based on preference)...even my friends with real food allergies are able to be quiet and discreet about it. Almost anyone I have met who has been a giant drama queen about what they won't eat is simply stating preference.
That's not how I took her comments. When someone offers me, for example, a piece of meat as my MIL did when we first met, I turn it down. I let her know I was a veg and wouldn't be partaking. I didn't tell her that she shouldn't be eating meat. I didn't tell her what to serve in her own home. I did declare "veg". Although, I think the use of the word declaration is just drama, which can be seen below.

Look at what this MIL stated
"When you are a guest in another's house, you do not declare what you will and will not eat - unless you are positively allergic to something."

Note the bolded. What do you think that means? That's about more than a declaration, but a demand for this DIL to eat what's served. Otherwise, why mention anything about allergies? Why should that matter? No, this girl didn't want something served and the only good excuse for that is allergies. Well, that's not her call and it's controlling.

Further, as a diabetic I imagine she's going to watch what she eats. And that other rant about her diabetes, which I have little doubt that MIL was being a drama queen, is ridiculous. So what? She's talking with her family about being a diabetic. The travesty.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
That's not how I took her comments. When someone offers me, for example, a piece of meat as my MIL did when we first met, I turn it down. I let her know I was a veg and wouldn't be partaking. I didn't tell her that she shouldn't be eating meat. I didn't tell her what to serve in her own home. I did declare "veg". Although, I think the use of the word declaration is just drama, which can be seen below.

Look at what this MIL stated
"When you are a guest in another's house, you do not declare what you will and will not eat - unless you are positively allergic to something."

Note the bolded. What do you think that means? That's about more than a declaration, but a demand for this DIL to eat what's served. Otherwise, why mention anything about allergies? Why should that matter? No, this girl didn't want something served and the only good excuse for that is allergies. Well, that's not her call and it's controlling.

Further, as a diabetic I imagine she's going to watch what she eats. And that other rant about her diabetes, which I have little doubt that MIL was being a drama queen, is ridiculous. So what? She's talking with her family about being a diabetic. The travesty.
I can see with the vegetarian part, but that is something that should have been told to the MIL by the son BEFORE anyone ever came to visit. Ditto on the diabetes.

Otherwise, I was raised to try anything and eat whatever my hosts put in front of me. When I stayed with a host family in Mexico, they served me eggs. I can't even smell an egg cooking without wanting to throw up. But for 6 weeks I stuffed those eggs down my throat as fast as possible (so much so that they thought it was my favorite and made more - d'oh!) so as not to insult these poor villagers who were sharing their food with me.

I don't know of any foods that are verboten to a diabetic - and certainly not for just one meal.

Most of the peeps I know who walk into my (or other's houses) and 'declare' they won't eat onions or or cauliflower or whatever (without giving notice beforehand) have been total drama mamas in my experience. I even had a friend's husband picking stuff out of his food at the table...horrible manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships