Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Hence, the reason why I wrote that last line. Many american couples work that way where the man takes care of her expenses, the bills, her entertainment, going out, and so on while she keeps the money for herself. Hey, each couple does as they like .
but you say it in a coniving way, hence her response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikilledkenny View Post
I just think it's odd that a grown adult person is unwilling to pay bills. I don't know her situation, maybe she is some kind of housewife(in which case it's understandable) but if two persons live together and both have jobs it's quite odd if one person pays for absolutley everything. What's the other persons excuse? "But I don't wanna pay for anything!!"?
a lot of marriages the money is pooled by both working people, so essentially they spend 'their' money not his money or her money.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,226 times

Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

Anyway, how long before a woman starts paying for dates?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-18-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

To bring this back to topic...There are a few people here who can't seem to get it through their thick heads that every relationship stands alone. Who pays for what is ultimately a decision to be made between the two people in the relationship, and when you get right down to it, it's no one's business but theirs.

To answer the question, if and when I ask for a date, I pay for it. That is usually the third date or so. That is my preference. Whether someone else approves or disapproves matters to me about as much as my next-door neighbor's choice of toenail polish.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-18-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
People, please stay on topic. Re-read the OP and keep your posts relevant to that. No personal insults, gross generalizations or gender bashing. Thanks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-18-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I have no idea when a woman starts paying for dates. I have no idea if it is the region in which you live or what, and my bf is sitting right here in front of me and I asked him too.

I had to ask because I NEVER paid for ONE date we went on. Every once in a while I would pick something up and he would tell me I didn't have to, etc.

Well I asked if women ever paid on dates and he said not that he is aware of...

Of course now we live together and are not really going on dates, etc. I buy a lot of the food and I cook all of it. When we go out, even now, he pays for it.

I am by no means at all a gold digger, either.

I keep the house, all of his clothes are clean and all of his meals are cooked, unless we go out. His bed is made when he gets in it at night.

I have never heard of if a man asks a woman out the woman pays for it in all of my days.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,536 times
I'm with you pikantari. I date old school guys, mostly blue collar. They would never think of having the woman pay. If this is the new trend, then I'm glad I'm old .. Ha ha. And it is not a gold digger thing. I am uncomfortable if someone I've just met suggests an expensive evening out.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Some of these threads make me so thankful I have a thoroughly modern relationship with relatively genderless roles

Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
To answer the question, if and when I ask for a date, I pay for it. That is usually the third date or so. That is my preference. Whether someone else approves or disapproves matters to me about as much as my next-door neighbor's choice of toenail polish.
That’s good but how do you do this considering how you have said before that you rarely ever pay for anything since guys don’t let you or beat you to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have no idea when a woman starts paying for dates. I have no idea if it is the region in which you live or what, and my bf is sitting right here in front of me and I asked him too.

I had to ask because I NEVER paid for ONE date we went on. Every once in a while I would pick something up and he would tell me I didn't have to, etc.

Well I asked if women ever paid on dates and he said not that he is aware of...

Of course now we live together and are not really going on dates, etc. I buy a lot of the food and I cook all of it. When we go out, even now, he pays for it.

I am by no means at all a gold digger, either.

I keep the house, all of his clothes are clean and all of his meals are cooked, unless we go out. His bed is made when he gets in it at night.

I have never heard of if a man asks a woman out the woman pays for it in all of my days.
I guess you guys are really traditional. He takes care of expenses, you take care of house chores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I'm with you pikantari. I date old school guys, mostly blue collar. They would never think of having the woman pay. If this is the new trend, then I'm glad I'm old .. Ha ha. And it is not a gold digger thing. I am uncomfortable if someone I've just met suggests an expensive evening out.
Just curious, are you also “old school” when it comes to house chores or do you rather be modern and ask your guy to also do his part with house chores? That is, old school when it comes to expenses but modern when it comes to house chores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Some of these threads make me so thankful I have a thoroughly modern relationship with relatively genderless roles
I wouldn’t really say it like that since each couple does as they like but I also prefer things to revolve around both of us, not just me, not just her, BOTH of us in all aspects of the relationship right off the bat. I guess we can agree on this. How long until a girl starts paying for my expenses? Since we start going out regardless of who asked who or who is the man/woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships