Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times

Advertisements

I don't know because almost all young adults and teens I know want to get married someday if they're not already married. Almost all of them want to get married in their 20s as well, although I do know of a few that want to wait until their 30s to marry. But maybe with so many of them, including me being children of divorce and they know the effects of divorce on them, attitudes towards divorce could become more conservative? It's like the Silents and Boomers grew up and were in an era when divorce was heavily stigmatized and they saw that many people were stuck in abusive and unhappy marriages. They fought to make divorce laws less strict, but now the divorce rate has gone up so much and it's affected so many youths that it could cause the pendulum to swing back in the opposite direction.

As for early marriage, there are still some areas of the country where people still marry almost right after high school. Probably areas like Utah, Idaho, rural areas of the Midwest and in rural areas of the SE, this is still the norm.

We are actually unique in our marriages. European nations in the past, their people have usually married late, around the ages seen in our country today or a little bit later. We've always been the earliest marrying developed nation and we still are. The early marriage and frequent universal marriages was more of a recent 1940s-1960s trend, but this wasn't always the norm and I said, people in the past usually married around our age or later than they do they.

The marriages statistics show that in 1890, in the United States, men married on average when they were 26 years old and women when they were 22. It was in the 1940s, when people started marrying earlier due to WWII and we recorded the earliest average marrying ages in the late 1950s in an era of economic prosperity that allowed young adults to move out and establish their own adult lives at an early age. Almost all other developed nations show the same thing, a trend towards more frequent and earlier marriages in the era after WWII in a period of economic prosperity and lasting until the early 1970s when the economy began to slow down.

But compared to other countries, we still marry pretty young. In Denmark, men don't marry until they're almost 35 and women when they're almost 33. Sweden, Ireland, and France all have marrying ages at almost or past 30. Here, it's around 27 for men and 25 for women, although it varies from state to state. The Census shows that in Utah, it's 23.9 years for men and 21.9 years for women and in Massachusetts, it's close to 30 for men and 28 for women though that's from 2000.

Last edited by 90sman; 08-21-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Possibly. I think it's partly attributable to the fact that people are waiting to marry. People who marry younger have a higher risk of divorce, so the fact that people are waiting to marry seems like it could only be good.
rep and I agree. Almost all my friends and acquaintances my age or older are still single and never married. There certainly is a trend of people waiting.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
For the younger generations, true heterosexual love is pretty much dead. I can imagine future generations to come becoming used to singleness and not wanting to get married. Relationships are gonna be hard for people born after 1985, thanks to all this matriarchy.

After all, modern people are genetically prone to divorce than ever before. And we all know the causes behind the alarming divorce rates.

You think the single and divorce population will outnumber the married population soon, at least in the matriarchy USA?
Last i read, the adult single population consists of some 40% of all people. As time moves forward, I do believe one day they will be the majority . I find it a shame that the sanctity of marriage is being traded in for the more popular Shacking Up theme . What i see in the younger generation coming up (20 something) , is an incapability of having a prolonged , deep, relationship with the opposite sex because they are being spoon-fed a lifestyle philosophy of using the opposite sex for a temporary copulation thrill (commonly known as 'hooking up') without ever moving into the substantial, important ,and meaninful experience of truly knowing someone beyond their sexual parts. Pretty superficial isnt it ?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I think there will always be people looking for love. While there may be fewer married couples in the future - I don't think we are in any great danger of marriage being obsolete. And heterosexual love is certainly not dead. I got married at 28 and most of my friends all got married recently in their early 30's. Most of my single friends all want to get married - they are just waiting for the right person. And most of my married friends all found the right person.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
From what I've read, the divorce rate has been declining for some time now.
This is probably due to a few reasons. Less people are getting married, and some stay together out of financial convenience. I could be wrong, but those are the first two things that popped into my head when I read your words.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 PM

600 posts, read 1,028,388 times
Marriage is quickly becoming obsolete, so I would say yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships