Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times

Advertisements

Texting is a rapid way to communicate a single thought, feeling, or instantaneous inspiration that has become 'way, 'WAY overused and abused. Like endless Facebook stati, I don't need to know your EVERY thought or feeling, every moment of the day. I HAVE a life.

Although in long drawn out meetings we used to text little notes to each other "Tell them about OUR plan now!" Or, "They're gonna vote, get back in here now!" Mostly we used it to find out "Whr r u?" "By gls drs w John, gt hr PDQ!" "Ths gys lyin, gt ovr hr!" in large crowds so no one would see what was going on underneath the noise and chatter, when stealth and immediate responses mattered.

Of course in a disaster, when cell phone towers are down, text often is the only thing that works.

Otherwise, I have no use for texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
yes be very careful with texting, A lot can get misunderstood and taken out of context, etc and caouse arguments, etc. I had had a lot of probems with this and just keep it simple to try and avoid a lot of this crap. So I would say use it with caution and at a minimum. Having an understanding/non Type A/no mental issues SO also helps! lol

Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm not a fan of texting; had a guy that preferred to text everything. It didn't last....
There's no substitution for real communication, an actual conversation Many people don't actually don't have the skills to hold real conversations, I think in part because of texting.
same thing happened with me. every new relationship went nowhere when they only text. i believe there is something wrong with people who cant say more than a short text at a time. they are avoiding conversations.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:48 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Swollen or moist or hard.......those are naughty words.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
primarily in dating and relationships, what subjects are inappropriate to discuss by text message? and how do you address people who cling to text messaging for most communication?
i can think of a few...

"hey, I'm pregnant"

"just FYI, you might want to get tested for AIDS"

"sorry, I just accidentally ran over your dog"

"forgot to tell you, I've got cancer"

When some clod wants to continue to only communicate with you on text, you simply send them a response to their texts saying "call me" and nothing else.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:57 PM

200 posts, read 328,418 times
I think texts are for random stuff like what's up?..wanna meetup? but I think the phone should be used for a solid convo especially like confirming date plans, talking about your day etc.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
i can think of a few...

"hey, I'm pregnant"

"just FYI, you might want to get tested for AIDS"

"sorry, I just accidentally ran over your dog"

"forgot to tell you, I've got cancer"

When some clod wants to continue to only communicate with you on text, you simply send them a response to their texts saying "call me" and nothing else.
i said to email. then the next day i sent an email asking what she was trying to say. she took it as a criticism and said text and email are both sent by phone. i emailed her to say that text is just a sentence or 2 at a time. i guess she is not available to communicate more than a sentence. then fine. i tried. but for the future i need to refuse text conversations from the start. talking on the phone works too, but at least email is a letter with full thoughts.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
i said to email. then the next day i sent an email asking what she was trying to say. she took it as a criticism and said text and email are both sent by phone. i emailed her to say that text is just a sentence or 2 at a time. i guess she is not available to communicate more than a sentence. then fine. i tried. but for the future i need to refuse text conversations from the start. talking on the phone works too, but at least email is a letter with full thoughts.
Is this the girl you sent the balloons to when you knew she was with another guy who had flown out to see her???

Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Is this the girl you sent the balloons to when you knew she was with another guy who had flown out to see her???
no, met her 3 weeks ago.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
no, met her 3 weeks ago.
Well, if you are having that hard of a time getting her on the phone after just meeting her, I'd say she's probably not too interested, sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships