Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 04:29 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley James View Post
This is the reason I don't approach men. If he isn't responding when I'm showing interest I assume there's a good reason; he isn't interested, he's married, he has a gf, etc. I respect that. There's no need to take it further by invading his personal space.
Well, how does he know that you're showing interest?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 PM

358 posts, read 470,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Well, how does he know that you're showing interest?
Body language.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Body language.
Whaaaa! Body language? That doesn't mean that a guy understands your language. Again, just bc you smiled doesn't mean anything to me. You could have a boyfriend for all I know or you could just be a friendly woman.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Whaaaa! Body language? That doesn't mean that a guy understands your language. Again, just bc you smiled doesn't mean anything to me. You could have a boyfriend for all I know or you could just be a friendly woman.
Lol...perhaps not. However if a single, available, interested man isn't picking up on my interest I assume he's not a good match for me personally. Eye contact, rather than smiling, plays a huge role in my initial interest.

Last edited by Haley James; 09-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: spelling:)

Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean that a guy understands your language.
So what if the guy got the wrong idea? As long as he knows when and how to back off gracefully, he should at least attempt to learn body language by making some mistakes.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Lol...perhaps not. However if a single, available, interested man isn't picking up on my interest I assume he's not a good match for me personally. Eye contact, rather than smiling, plays a huge role in my intial interest.
I see. However, I've had and still have numerous women that will stare at me like no ones business. However, I avoid those bc it has been proven in my experience that they either have boyfriends or husbands. Instead I look for the woman that looks at me quickly and then averts her eyes away from mine. Sometimes you have to ask in a round about way if she has a dude after i get to know her. Even then women will lie. Straight body language doesn't mean much.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
So what if the guy got the wrong idea? As long as he knows when and how to back off gracefully, he should at least attempt to learn body language by making some mistakes.
Its not like the quarterback reading a defense and then knowing to back out of the play by calling an audible. I've made mistakes in reading body language, but that just made me more cautious. And not bc they didnt like me. They found/find me attractive but sine have boyfriends or husbands. But thats ok. I will say that bc of those mistakes I'm a much better judge.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Its not like the quarterback reading a defense and then knowing to back out of the play by calling an audible. I've made mistakes in reading body language, but that just made me more cautious. And not bc they didnt like me. They found/find me attractive but sine have boyfriends or husbands. But thats ok. I will say that bc of those mistakes I'm a much better judge.
Using your experience, I'd say that it works both ways simply because you now prefer to be more cautious. Is that because you got negative reactions?

In that case, you would think that the female would want to be more careful about her body language if men are misunderstanding her.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Straight body language doesn't mean much.
Body language is useful in communicating interest or lack thereof. It serves it's purpose as an invitation to approach or avoid. It's not a measure of someone's character.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 21,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its called flirting, courtship, romance, seduction, sensuality, passion....of course, any man can simply go around blunty expressing to women that they want to insert knob A into hole B but that man would be entirely missing the point and will absolutely get shot down 99% of the time.

I am not understanding why this is all so very difficult for some guys to understand. Most women (myself included) have dated a man whom they initially rejected even if only because there was a genuine attempt to truly "woo" her...not to stalk, insult or harass. And a lot of it has to do with the way that a man initially approaches a woman....if your approach is cheesy, corny, gimmicky, sleazy and/or implies "All I wanna do is bang ya" then of course you will be rejected.

Also, a rejection is not always an outright "rejection" as previously stated in this thread. It may be the timing or circumstances. Maybe my car just broke down or my dog is sick or I'm flunking an important class or my dad is in the hospital or I just got chewed out by my boss or I have a boyfriend or I just broke up with my boyfriend (but still want him) or I just loss my wallet and all my credit cards, etc, etc...
In response to the bolded part, you're taking what I'm saying too far. That's NOT what I'm saying. I'm saying that if a man and woman like each other, simply tell them that instead of hoping someone picked up on your gaze in their direction, or a hair toss, or smile or whatever "signal" you're projecting. If a guy approaches you like you said, then of course I'd expect them to be turned down rather hard. But I'm talking about "Hey ____, I like you. Would you like to go out some time?".

What is wrong with simply saying I like you? I don't understand why you and apparently many other women seem to think saying that to a man, or vice versa, is a terrible idea. I don't understand why it has to be more complicated than that. You can have passion without playing silly games about signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships