Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
On big ticket items that I know I can get online cheaper, I usually will go to a store, check out it, then buy it online cheaper.

I did that when I bought my big screen plasma TV. Measured and played with it in the store and later bought it online.
That works only if you get lucky. I've no desire to receive a broken or malfunctioning TV and endure the pain of shipping it back...

The first and only purchase I made of this sort was my last desktop. I had absolutely no desire to do it online, but there isn't much of a selection offline... Thankfully, it worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's nothing. People were lined up here, at 3pm on WEDNESDAY. Tents, chairs, coolers.
Yeah, that's pretty sad. Those people are good little consumers.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
As you get older and wiser and more spiritually awake - You want to rid your house of stuff that is a burden...instead of getting more stuff! Some people develope and understand what is truely valuable in life and what is not - These shoppers are like horders - they will accumulate tons of stuff - then die - and the STUFF goes in the garbage along with them - not a smart plan..but some just don't think or know what is of real value.. a clean bed - people around you that love and respect you - family - good food....You really don't need a flat screen in every room..and you don't need the stress in the household because of money problems due to over consumption of stuff....nothing sadder than people in a family fighting over money - cos' they bought stuff that they don't need...people need each other - not more and more stuff!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That works only if you get lucky. I've no desire to receive a broken or malfunctioning TV and endure the pain of shipping it back...

The first and only purchase I made of this sort was my last desktop. I had absolutely no desire to do it online, but there isn't much of a selection offline... Thankfully, it worked out.
Most of the things I buy online aren't electronics, usually books or CD or things like that. I have purchased a computers online, never had any problems. Went to Dell's site directly and have scored that way a couple of times.

IDK, I guess it just depends.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I'm inclined to believe that at least some of the violence and animal-like behavior in retail stores actually happens more often than just on Black Friday, it's just that the media builds it up ten times more on this day. Of course, if that's the case then I'm even more afraid for the state of humanity.

And on that note, the rabid consumerism we see this time of year is why I urge my family members not to buy me any gifts at all. Of course they don't listen to me.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just cannot fathom, how people can go out shopping on Black Friday, and get into fights, where they actually hurt other people, I mean, what is wrong with people? Can't help but shake my head in disgrace and embarrassment for the human race? We call ourselves humans and yet act like animals.
There was a woman who shot off Pepper spray, another woman went balistic in a mall beauty shop and hurt other women? I just don't get how our society can be so shamefully inhuman?

This is a total lack of intellegence, on the part of these people, who are raised without morals, and so self imposed they would hurt others to obtain? Very sad!

What are your thoughts?

Creme, you've been on C-D for how long and you're asking this?

Seriously, though, look at the things people write about here, both the threads where people write about the barbaric behavior they encounter in others and some of the equally barbaric responses they get.

Extrapolate that out to "real life," toss in rabid consumerism and greed, and there ya go!

Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
The era of greed and the lack of civility instilled in them by their parents and today's schools.

Makes me glad we're in a rural area and, by choice, not necessity, do all our Christmas shopping online. However, the type of madness discussed doesn't seemed to have reached our little corner of America. People here seem to be polite, caring and considerate. Sorry about all those other places.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Creme, you've been on C-D for how long and you're asking this?

Seriously, though, look at the things people write about here, both the threads where people write about the barbaric behavior they encounter in others and some of the equally barbaric responses they get.

Extrapolate that out to "real life," toss in rabid consumerism and greed, and there ya go!
yes, your right, however, it seemed more real to me when I watch it being played out on the news, rather then in here...that's no excuse, I know, and actually your right...but it still never ceases to make me sad...

Old 11-25-2011, 02:40 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I like shopping in general (well, maybe I should say I used to... before all the fun was taken out of that, too, being treated like a criminal) and I'd rather shop at brick-and-mortar stores unless I've seen the item and I'm absolutely sure I want it, but I'd never participate in such insanity... Granted, 20 bucks aren't gonna make me or break me, but even if I were on a really tight budget, there are less painless ways to accomplish the same thing throughout the year.
I like to look at the item in the store and then go online to see if I can get a better deal (which usually I can).

There is no way on God's green earth that I would ever shop on a black Friday for a deal. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and leisurly do my shopping. I HATE crowds, HATE lines and HATE loud people.

We did happen to go to Home Depot today to get a piece of pipe to finish the bathroom (wooo hoooo...running water!!!) but we chose the most remote store we could and waited until lunchtime so we didn't have to deal with traffic and idiots.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:17 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
justthe6ofus;
There is no way on God's green earth that I would ever shop on a black Friday for a deal. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and leisurly do my shopping. I HATE crowds, HATE lines and HATE loud people.
I'm with ya there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships