Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I generally dislike sharing food/ drink with people due to having a mother whose horrid table manners (tasting food with the serving/ stirring spoon, asking for a "swig" or a "bite" and then eating/ drinking half) probably made ill on more than one occasion. It depends on the person, too- don't mind sharing food with girlfriends, since there is bodily fluid exchange... but not with anyone else.

EMT class has taught me some nasty stuff about bugs that go around with close contact...
OH MY GOD - tasting when cooking and putting the spoon back in the food is SOOOOOO GROSS!

When I cook a big pot of something I must go through about 20 spoons.

I never reuse a spoon once it's been in my mouth.

I'm guessing people who do that (like your mom) are just ignorant to the facts. Glad you broke the bad habit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yep, yep, and YEP! If I buy an $8 meal and others ordered $20 meals...I'm paying for MY food....not buying part of yours too! Also, if you put your utensil or your hand on my plate, to remove food, without my permission...my fork will likely become a part of your body. Needless to say, my children, even as toddlers, had/have impeccable table manners. People used to comment, "I can't believe how good your children are with silverware....so coordinated." Yes....it's called PRACTICE!

My ex had an uncle who would pick "the best parts" of people's food off of their plates at Sunday dinner. I freakin' kid you not! He'd steal the marshmallows off of people's sweet potato pie, steal the frosting off of their cake, steal the breading & skin off of the fried chicken. If they were eating a baked potato, he'd reach his fork over and take the center part, with all of the melted butter, right off their plate. I kid you not! He reached for my plate one Sunday (after I'd been around awhile) and I said, "George, I kid you not. You come near my plate with your fork and you're gonna draw back a bloody stub!!" I then got up from the table, mumbling about people with absolutely disgusting table manners and went home. My hubby was ticked off at me, said, "I don't know why you had to do that. That's just George. You get used it! He's ALWAYS been that way!" I said, "No.....YOU be used to it. I will not sit at one more meal with someone with such appalling table manners and I meant what I said, if he ever took something off of my plate, I WOULD draw blood." I never went back to dinner there again....it broke a couple of them's hearts, but hey...every time I ate dinner at his G'ma's house and saw that, my anxiety level would go through the roof...from time ONE! " Oh George, you brat, I was SAVING the best for last!" "Yep, that's why I had da eat it for you got to it!" Gaaaaaahhhhd!

^^^
Beach, you and I would be alone every Sunday then lol. I think over the years my husband has come to realize that his relatives have no table manners at all. I make it a point to put a serving utensil or even 2 in one dish. It steams my clams to see someone use the fork that's been in their mouths in the platter and poking around at stuff. When it's just hubby and myself at the table, that's different. I don't skeeve him . My daughter was also taught you never, NEVER, EVER take anything off anyone's plate. If you really wanna get me started, half the time I don't see any of them wash their hands. You could not possibly have washed your hands if you're coming out of the bathroom zipping up your fly while the toilet water is still flushing!!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:34 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
^^^
Beach, you and I would be alone every Sunday then lol. I think over the years my husband has come to realize that his relatives have no table manners at all. I make it a point to put a serving utensil or even 2 in one dish. It steams my clams to see someone use the fork that's been in their mouths in the platter and poking around at stuff. When it's just hubby and myself at the table, that's different. I don't skeeve him . My daughter was also taught you never, NEVER, EVER take anything off anyone's plate. If you really wanna get me started, half the time I don't see any of them wash their hands. You could not possibly have washed your hands if you're coming out of the bathroom zipping up your fly while the toilet water is still flushing!!
Bell, I would just as soon eat alone then have to sit at a table with people who eat like starving animals. We rarely go to family gatherings at others' houses anymore. When family comes to our house for anything, they KNOW they better be on their best behavior, because if they contaminate the food supply, they know that I will publicly humilate them. There are certain inlaws who are never invited to special occasions here, because they are animals. I will not invite uncivilized people to my house, to make everyone else miserable. I am an excellent hostess, but again, uncivilized heathens are not invited.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Bell, I would just as soon eat alone then have to sit at a table with people who eat like starving animals. We rarely go to family gatherings at others' houses anymore. When family comes to our house for anything, they KNOW they better be on their best behavior, because if they contaminate the food supply, they know that I will publicly humilate them. There are certain inlaws who are never invited to special occasions here, because they are animals. I will not invite uncivilized people to my house, to make everyone else miserable. I am an excellent hostess, but again, uncivilized heathens are not invited.
^5

Old 12-06-2011, 05:29 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I rarely share with anyone anymore (exception for the guy I am seeing). The older I get, the more easily grossed out I am.

I absolutely won't share with kids. Imagine all the backwash................sick.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
How do you let people know you only want to share saliva with your husband?

Hey, I only share saliva with my husband.

Last edited by crisan; 12-06-2011 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: I typed what I was thinking in my mind, was not trying to be sarcastic.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
That's tough. How do you let people know you only want to share saliva with your husband?

Hey, I only share saliva with my husband.
Amongst other things.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 PM

I just don't think there is anyway around it. As another poster said, its not rocket science. But neither is "no, thank you.."

Last edited by sunshineleith; 12-07-2011 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned material

Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I rarely share with anyone anymore (exception for the guy I am seeing). The older I get, the more easily grossed out I am.

I absolutely won't share with kids. Imagine all the backwash................sick.
YUCK, you are so right.

It's really just as nasty as double dipping, and almost everyone agrees that's a huge social faux pas.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You can always say "Not right now, maybe later". Chances are they won't ask again later.
I like this the best. You would be saying "yes" to a person who can't take "no."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships