Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:06 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times

Advertisements

Mistake
Vs
History of bad choices

Not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There's also a big difference between a mistake that can be easily put behind you with no future ramifications, and one that will have fallout for years to come. It sucks, but it's true.
+1

Sometimes mistakes can have consequences that affect future relationships, ability to jointly buy a first home together, raise kids etc. Some of life's journeys, such as raising kids, has enough stressors as it is without bringing in addition stress of a partner making poor decisions or a partner bringing in sizeable debt to the table.

I have no debt whatsoever and I will only date someone who has debt that is very manageable with their current income and that will be fully paid off in the short term AND in addition that debt should have been incurred for a responsible purpose (not on gucci handbags or from careless and negligent decisions!!!). I date women in their 30s and by that time if a woman has not learned responsible money management and responsible choices then she has not learned anything from life! I can excuse mistakes in your 20s but at some point one has to learn and grow up.

Expecting responsible behavior when a person is of reasonable age (late 20s and up) is not expecting perfection at all, it's a very basic expectation.

History generally repeats itself more often than not so one has to be extra careful to ensure that a person has learned a lesson from their bad decision and if there is any negative influence in their life (like family members etc.) that they have distanced such influence so that it does not affect their future family.

A person who has made the same mistake twice, well, that should always be avoided.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
I'd be mortified by someone who NEVER made a mistake in life.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
On the flip side...I'd probably be wary of anyone who seems like she's trying hard to project or maintain a squeaky clean image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Has nothing to do with wanting someone who is "perfect."

There are just some things people don't want to put up with in their lives. There is a BIG difference between making a mistake and being a habitual screw up or being irresponsible.
This. And it's quite easy to tell the difference.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
This is an old thread. And yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm perfect. So is my husband. I feel really sorry for the rest of you.

Hee hee!
Still true! Bwahahaha!

Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
I think the problem is not considering context and demonstration of a new pattern.

People need to let go of the idea that 100% of life is within an individual's control. There are so many variables outside of one's control. I've seen many with a judgemental attitude eat humble pie when life dealt them a rough blow and they found themselves in a situation they used to scorn in others.

How someone deals with their problems makes a difference too, both in coping, learning from, and actions to resolve or not repeat or worsen the issue.

Debt from college has been mentioned - I avoided this, but many are so young and naive coming out of HS. They are pushed to make major decisions which can affect the rest of their lives, with a college education being held as the BEST choice when it may not be. They may not have good guidance in these matters, and social values will also present things as "norms" so that they're almost unquestioned. The sexting and nude selfie phenomenon among the youth now is a prime example of this - it's a new "norm" and it's consequences are not adequately being communicated to young people.

I guess I have some sympathy towards past mistakes when viewed in the larger context. But I agree that there are details which influence whether or not these things are indicative of a major character flaw or are a human mistake that anyone could make.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Good points, orangeapple.

Another example that keeps coming up on this forum: credit card debt.

For many people credit cards offer the best terms they can get, for covering emergency needs such as medical bills.

Other people simply don't realise the consequences when, for example, they are inudated with applications as students. No one has taught them.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
People need to let go of the idea that 100% of life is within an individual's control. There are so many variables outside of one's control. I've seen many with a judgemental attitude eat humble pie when life dealt them a rough blow and they found themselves in a situation they used to scorn in others.
I think nobody here is commenting on situations that people find themselves in through no fault of their own or for an accident that can anyone could reasonably make. But when someone makes a deliberate mistake due to irresponsible or negligent behavior then it is definitely a matter of concern - how much of a fallout does it have? How does one be certain that the situation is not going to happen again etc.

For instance, if your partner accidently hits something with their car and is sued for damages then it's one thing, ***** happens sometimes...but if your partner co-signed for a loan for her brother knowing full well that he was a delinquent and now he/she is being sued for the loan then it is definitely a huge cause for concern. Just an example.

Being stupid, negligent etc. can cause HUGE liability issues in today's world, that's something many people want to avoid and it's totally reasonable to want to avoid it. This does not mean that the person who is irresponsible is a bad person but it's a characteristic that can put a huge strain on a marriage.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Mistake
Vs
History of bad choices

Not the same thing.

Exactly - this is really all it boils down to

Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Exactly - this is really all it boils down to
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships