Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, you are very short-sighted.

But please answer my previous question...who is forcing you to get married???
Probably my mother, eventually. If it were up to me, I wouldn't do it, but I have a feeling I'll get forced into it like most guys.

Also, I'm not short-sighted; I just don't see how I'd benefit (unless the woman I married earned far more or came from a very rich family). Marriage doesn't offer me anything I can't already get in a dating relationship.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
But there are people who "dig their heels in" only because they're stubborn or have circumstances that would make it difficult to split. Considering that more marriages end by divorce than death, I'd reckon that these people are the majority in the "dig their heels in" crowd.
It is each individuals responsibility to do what they think is right and best in their own situations.

Some do not choose wisely.

I am sorry your parents hurt you by their actions. Unfortunately, it happens.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM

271 posts, read 532,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, I am comparing the two. OK, you think it's insane. I think it's insane to think a marriage is just a piece of paper.

More metaphor for you. Many landlords will not rent to single people, only married people. The less of a stake people have in sticking around and making a home for themselves, the less they usually do.
How are you going to quantify someone's personal stake in a relationship if you aren't that person?

If I had a couple hundred thousand in the bank, a six figure salary, and a new girlfriend every week, do you think I'd have problems finding a place? You're still talking about real estate... nothing that's a direct comparison to a relationship or marriage.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Probably my mother, eventually. If it were up to me, I wouldn't do it, but I have a feeling I get forced into it like most guys.
How old are you????

Only a kid in a third world non free country would ever really believe that their mom could FORCE them to get married

This is hilarious!

Don't you live in America?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
How old are you????

Only a kid in a free country would ever really believe that their mom could FORCE them to get married

This is hilarious!
What I meant is that she'll guilt trip me until I comply.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
What I meant is that she'll guilt trip me until I comply.
Well then, you have bigger issues than just not wanting to get married.

But for the record, in America and other free countries, no one can FORCE you to get married.

Man up and quit worrying about crap you have the ability to control.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Well then, you have bigger issues than just not wanting to get married.

But for the record, in America and other free countries, no one can FORCE you to get married.

Man up and quit worrying about crap you have the ability to control.
I'm in the will and would rather not rock the boat. It's more complicated than "man up and do what you want." Life will just be easier if I do as my folks say.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I'm in the will and would rather not rock the boat. It's more complicated than "man up and do what you want." Life will just be easier if I do as my folks say.
Well, when you grow up you'll look at things differently.

Good luck with that.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM

442 posts, read 615,437 times
Quote:
Probably my mother, eventually. If it were up to me, I wouldn't do it, but I have a feeling I'll get forced into it like most guys.

Also, I'm not short-sighted; I just don't see how I'd benefit (unless the woman I married earned far more or came from a very rich family). Marriage doesn't offer me anything I can't already get in a dating relationship.
Is this statement meant to say that moms typically force their kids into marriage.....I don't agree with that at all, not in 2012.

I could care less if my kids get married, at the very least I hope they don't get married too early.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Well, when you grow up you'll look at things differently.

Good luck with that.
I'm almost 30. I'm already set in my ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships