Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
I have this strange feeling that many people equate ambition with earning power or wealth, when in reality it has very little to do with either. I am an educated guy, with a great job right now, but becoming a millionaire isnt one of my goals. I am passionate about many things and my hobbies, but will likely work for less money in the future at a job that provides satisfaction and other important things other than money. I hate the fact that there are so many greedy people on this planet.
In Female-Speak, that is exactly what it is. $$$$$$$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
To me, passion is more about living one's life as fully as possible, and engaging the world with enthusiasm. And that is certainly not hurrying home for another marathon session of World of Warcraft. That isn't life. That's detachment from life.
^^^^This. To have dreams and goals, to be actively living life, not just existing with no purpose or direction or care.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Ambition to do what? Advance to the top of his career and make lots of money? There are lots of ways to be ambitious. I think more important than ambition is a guy who can follow through. If he says he's going to do something then he does it. If he sets a goal then he makes it happen. I enjoy my job and I hope to advance if I have the opportunity, but I don't work insane hours and at 5 o'clock I'm happy to go home and read a book. Am I not ambitious enough? I don't want a guy so busy that he doesn't have time for a relationship. Drive to success is important, but definitely not everything.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,731,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Ladies, how important is it that a man you're interested in has ambition? What would you define as ambition? I'm currently in a bit of a dead-end job but am finding it difficult to get my butt moving to graduate school & it's affecting my self-esteem a bit, I think. It makes me feel like "Why would a girl want to date me when I'm making little money & not using it for graduate school"?
Ambition to me is =

1. Good work ethic

2. Characterized by a desire to make increasing financial gains as the years progress. Maybe you work for the post office and the move toward a raise or a promotion is slow. That doesn't mean you can't start a business of your own, or pick up a second job and increase your earnings every year that way.

3. Maybe this should have been stated first, but a man or woman has to have a few simple powerful goals and a plan to achieve them. It's not really something you can go about willy nilly. Graduate school may not be the only way to make more money. Advanced degrees usually mean more money, but not always. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a good company to work for that pays great starting salary for people with qualifications you already have. This is especially imporant if you are in your late 20s, early 30s because if you haven't gotten that retirement fund going, it's time to start and funding it should be a priority, too.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM

349 posts, read 616,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Ladies, how important is it that a man you're interested in has ambition? What would you define as ambition? I'm currently in a bit of a dead-end job but am finding it difficult to get my butt moving to graduate school & it's affecting my self-esteem a bit, I think. It makes me feel like "Why would a girl want to date me when I'm making little money & not using it for graduate school"?

Very important. I don't want to waste my time with someone who has no drive in life. If you're actively pursueing ways to change your situation/life/circumstances, that shows ambition. If you're happy working a dead end job, that doesn't show any drive to change your life/self. Contentment. Not always a good thing.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
thanks Djuna it's nice to hear that a woman can feel that the ambition thing can be a turn off. if i had to guess i might think that 60% of women like ambition and the other 40% don't

Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM

607 posts, read 1,217,301 times
I'm not overly ambitious but I do have a career and I'm trying to gain the skills I need to move ahead in my chosen field. I'd like a guy with the same attitude as me...not overly ambitious where work always comes first but also striving for something they have the possibility of achieving.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Work Hard
Play Hard
Have Fun
Make a Lot of Love
Be Happy

Those are my ambitions in life.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Ive never thought of myself as an ambitous person, persistant maybe? I was persistant in College and in my career, I finally hit a salary that I viewed as being associated with being well off 10 years ago and found its not the case. But, with money comes freedom and options.

I'm most ambitious in socializing with friends and meeting new people. I would go out 7 nights a week if it wouldn't wipe me out. People that are ambitous at work typically annoy me. The ambitious people I work with that put in 12-16 hour days are mostly trying to work their way to the top as quick as possible. They don't seem to get any real work done and use Engineering as a stepping stone. For the most part they don't go very high in the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Work Hard
Play Hard
Have Fun
Make a Lot of Love
Be Happy

Those are my ambitions in life.
Rep for you!!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:48 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Ambition to me equates with self absorbed, keeping up with the Jones', arrogant and money-driven. None of these traits are attractive to me. I prefer a man who is more philosophical about life, who takes time to just be, someone who isn't caught up with the society-approved working yourself to death mentality.

Work is work, it's a way to make money to do the things you love doing whether it's traveling or a hobby or philanthropic work. There is more to life than striving for status.
Great post Djuna. I like how you think outside the box and go against the grain. Life isn't mean to necessarily go according to plan. Ambitions and goals are fine, but many people become obsessed with them and can enjoy little else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships