Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
The worst is people who b*tch and moan constantly about their jobs and don't do anything to fix it. It's okay if you're content working at McDonalds making fries, just be the best dam* fry maker you can be.
This is kind of the point with me.
Most people will never make as much money as I do.
The money is not the issue.
I really admire people who put 100% effort and type A badassness into their jobs. That doesn't mean they have to do it 100 hours a week. But when they are there, they are committed to doing a stellar, awesome, best at their job job they can do. They won't stop till the job is done right.

Most people flit through life doing bare minimum at any job...that attitude disgusts me. Then they are all like, "Oh, but I work to live, not live to work." Lazy, we're not saying you have to give your life over to the job. Just give 100% while you are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM

109 posts, read 128,475 times
Ambition is important, but I think that it can come in many forms. Growing your own garden big enough to feed yourself at least in part, repairing the house on your own, becoming very good at a hobby and then sharing it online, you can't limit ambition to just a job.

Bonus points for making some money off the hobby.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
It would not matter to me. I would rather a man work 8-5, and be home with his family. Than work 70-80 hours a week climbing the corporate ladder. Those are my values. Work to live, don't live to work.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It would not matter to me. I would rather a man work 8-5, and be home with his family. Than work 70-80 hours a week climbing the corporate ladder. Those are my values. Work to live, don't live to work.
Si

On the other hand dating someone with no ambition does not sound that appealing either.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 AM

495 posts, read 684,928 times
"My wife said that ambition was the most important trait in a man to her and her friends in college. Ambition not meaning workaholic problems, but someone with a vision of where they ar going, what they want to do and working to get there. Not someone just floating along with no direction or goals. "

"I have a friend who is single, in great shape, nice looking and very perosnable yet he has trouble finding dates. My wife says it is because he has no ambition. He is basically a low paid drone worker and has no interest in doing anything else. He makes enough t pay the bills and that is fine. No goals or dreams, just wants to stay where he is. "

What is wrong with that guy.He sounds like a good dude, in shape and good personality.So what if he chooses to take a stress free work path with lesser pay.These women don't deserve this guy, they sound like gold digging c..ts who think men are mealtickets for THEM to reach their dreams and desires.

The best calvin and hobbes cartoon that sums up this thread for me is- Calvin enters the room to see hobbes napping, Calvin says to him " your never going to get ahead in life just laying around like that". Hobbes looks up and says "Who am I racing".Calvin leaves the room with disgrunteled look on his face and hobbes with a condesending sneer says "let me know when you win".

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
"My wife said that ambition was the most important trait in a man to her and her friends in college. Ambition not meaning workaholic problems, but someone with a vision of where they ar going, what they want to do and working to get there. Not someone just floating along with no direction or goals. "

"I have a friend who is single, in great shape, nice looking and very perosnable yet he has trouble finding dates. My wife says it is because he has no ambition. He is basically a low paid drone worker and has no interest in doing anything else. He makes enough t pay the bills and that is fine. No goals or dreams, just wants to stay where he is. "

What is wrong with that guy.He sounds like a good dude, in shape and good personality.So what if he chooses to take a stress free work path with lesser pay.These women don't deserve this guy, they sound like gold digging c..ts who think men are mealtickets for THEM to reach their dreams and desires.

The best calvin and hobbes cartoon that sums up this thread for me is- Calvin enters the room to see hobbes napping, Calvin says to him " your never going to get ahead in life just laying around like that". Hobbes looks up and says "Who am I racing".Calvin leaves the room with disgrunteled look on his face and hobbes with a condesending sneer says "let me know when you win".
Agree. If you are paying your bills, is it that wrong to be content with just that? I'd love to make more money but I will not trade all my free time for it. Any woman who dont understand that does not need to be with me.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is kind of the point with me.
Most people will never make as much money as I do.
The money is not the issue.
I really admire people who put 100% effort and type A badassness into their jobs. That doesn't mean they have to do it 100 hours a week. But when they are there, they are committed to doing a stellar, awesome, best at their job job they can do. They won't stop till the job is done right.

Most people flit through life doing bare minimum at any job...that attitude disgusts me. Then they are all like, "Oh, but I work to live, not live to work." Lazy, we're not saying you have to give your life over to the job. Just give 100% while you are there.
If you were in a situation like mine at my job you would understand why some wont go above and beyond for their employer.

My situation:

Employer operations leaving Louisville in 2013.
No raise in sight.
No opportunity for advancement.
Threat of being laid off over the summer.
No incentive pay.
Stressful call center gig.
I graduate from college in a couple of weeks and looking for better job anyway.

No one should wonder why I try to do only what I am required to do with all that crap going on. Why bother to exceed expectations when it wont do any good for my heartless company?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No one should wonder why I try to do only what I am required to do with all that crap going on. Why bother to exceed expectations when it wont do any good for my heartless company?
You're never just working within an organization, you're also working with and leaving an impression on people -- your boss, your coworkers, even your assistant(s) [if any]. Always put in your best and people will notice and doors open. The company might not value you at all or notice your contributions, but, the people around you notice, and you never know who will be able to open a door someday (assuming they like you: it's never good enough to be pleasant or competent, always strive for both).

With that said, going back to the topic more broadly at hand, girls who claim they like ambition usually (exceptions exist, albeit rarely) mean success. I have been a more than fairly ambitious person pretty much my whole life, but successful and not successful in different parts of it (note that when I say 'success' I am talking about status - which often overlaps very tightly with money and career success but is not exactly the same thing). The girls and sort of girls who like 'ambition' reacted to the (short-term) success or at times the lack thereof, not at all to the actual ambition. I'm not sure if the desire for 'ambition' is something people say since it is more socially acceptable or something they believe to feel better about themselves internally, but, you don't really see it playing out in their behavior.

Wanting and striving get you nowhere in the short-term; having does. You need to be hungry to get somewhere in the long-term, but, telling young men that hunger is enough for dating purposes is doing them a disservice.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
The heroic types make me melt.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If you were in a situation like mine at my job you would understand why some wont go above and beyond for their employer.

My situation:

Employer operations leaving Louisville in 2013.
No raise in sight.
No opportunity for advancement.
Threat of being laid off over the summer.
No incentive pay.
Stressful call center gig.
I graduate from college in a couple of weeks and looking for better job anyway.

See what I mean?
You don't do it for the external rewards.
You do it because that is what you are made of...for the internal rewards.
That YOU do a good job no matter what.

This concept is completely lost on most of the american work force. There's no pride.

By the way, excellence is a habit. You can't just turn it on and off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships