Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,284,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I think men objectify women just as women project their feelings. There are so many other paradigms that go along with that...gender roles, societal expectations but I do think men tend to get a bad rap for doing what comes natural.
True to an extent, but I wonder what extent we become what we are told we are? The more we're told we're x, the more likely we're going to become x.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,321,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I believe on the whole that most men do objectify women to an extent (and women do men, but not to the same extent)...that a woman's value, today in the 21st century, is still based on physical attributes to a greater extent than a man's. Call it biology, call it patriarchy, call it whatever. Obviously, man men select on this basis, so women feel pressured to comply...

my first question then is, do most women feel oppressed by these restrictions? Do some revel in their role as a woman - to be desired.etc? I suppose for most it's a bit of both?
naturally, as long as her name isn't gloria steinem.

Quote:
On one hand many women complain about men objectifying women - yet, of course, many women are feeding this, doing it to themselves. They value other women on the basis of looks.etc too..like the immature types might want to be friends with hot, popular women - a certain subset of women, but a mainstream subset nonetheless. Women as a whole still seem so preoccupied with looks. If you tell her she's ugly, it's basically the same as telling her she's a worthless human being. I suppose it's no one's fault: men are wired to like a pretty face, nice breasts or whatever, so maybe it's natural for women to want to play that up, although I think it's definitely gone further than what is natural.
well, have you ever noticed what the women look like who complain? I can't help but to think of an army of trolls or orcs marching through the streets of fresno.

Quote:

The main question is, how hard is it to break out of this? To say, I don't care what men like or not like, I'm just going to be myself and not try to please them? How many women are really like this? Not to say you don't try to look good and attractive - well all want to be attractive - but how hard it is to completely divorce yourself from these expectations, and truly not have to value yourself on how you look?
don't feed the hamster...

Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,616,176 times
Quote:
True to an extent, but I wonder what extent we become what we are told we are? The more we're told we're x, the more likely we're going to become x.
It depends upon if you want to be a victim or be responsible for who you are.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,642,292 times
Quote:
Oh what you say...I get it.

Well I like a woman who speaks her mind - to a limit.
Hi! Ladies you are already behaving as a rival.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,134,668 times
Default I don't like how most men think

The rating women beauty from 0-10, and this determines her worth as a human being to men. Relegating certain women as girlfriend material and others as booty call material just based on how attractive they are. If a man doesn't think you are attractive enough then he thinks you are only good enough for sex. Or he doesn't want to be seen out in public with you if you don't pass a certain beauty test

Sometimes I think I am better off alone. I really don't like the side of men. Some women just accept this but I can't. It bothers me so much because I have been a victim of this.

Moderator cut: website deny access/copyright violation

Last edited by Keeper; 05-24-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,035,620 times
Yep, and women out there are saints looking for a guy with a nice personality and nothing else.

I honestly think you're better off alone if you think this about guys. Sorry.

The fact that you're quoting a site --- or even reading a site called blackgirlsareeasy.com and think it's how all men think says a lot..

Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,035,620 times
If you're a 9 or 10 I'll agree with your post though

Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,804,364 times
Nyanna,

Why do you give immature boys relevancy by posting what they say as representative of mature men? You're not dealing with the brightest bulbs on the planet. Why don't you try quoting men who, I don't know, have an education or read books or have some idea of how a properly functioning human psychology works?

A great place to find men who are interested in a myriad of subjects other than "hitting it" or how they look with their B is an online science forum. These kind of males have deeper interests than obsessing over themselves and their mating exploits. Or get involved in politics. That's another area you won't find dumb guys interested in because it's over their heads. If you have the right interests - usually something intellectual - you'll find that the dumbies disappear from your life.

You get what you put out.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 05-24-2012 at 04:03 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 AM

320 posts, read 541,584 times
[quote=nyanna;24439431]
The rating women beauty from 0-10, and this determines her worth as a human being to men. Relegating certain women as girlfriend material and others as booty call material just based on how attractive they are. If a man doesn't think you are attractive enough then he thinks you are only good enough for sex. Or he doesn't want to be seen out in public with you if you don't pass a certain beauty test

Moderator cut: link denied access/copyright violation

Last edited by Keeper; 05-24-2012 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Wrong Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,468,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Okay. First I’d like to address this part because I think you may be taking it a bit out perspective;The rating women beauty from 0-10, and this determines her worth as a human being to men”. Men do not use a 1-10 scale to determine a woman’s worth as a human being. The 1-10 scale is used to gauge physical appearance and has nothing at all to do with how a man feels about a particular woman’s value to mankind.

Agree and well said.

Also for me personally, without a decent amount of physical attraction to her, she's not initial, date-able material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships