Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
This is culturally subjective and may change over time. I am from Quebec, and here a majority of children are born to unmarried parents and only a minority of people will ever marry. It would be too much to call us a post-marriage society, but it's actually more common to have families without marriage than not to. The institution is definitely not as important in our culture as it is in others. I think this is because there was a sort of a mass rejection of the Roman Catholic Church in the sixties called the quiet revolution that happened in the context of centuries of almost theocratic domination, so it's not like this is the inevitable direction America will go as well, but it very well might and our society functions okay with mass cohabitation.
I live in Quebec also and thinking about it I must confess to having many friends who are couples / families, but I don't know if the partners are married or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
23 and a half so far. Well actually we got married two and a half years ago but he only proposed after 19 years... No big deal as I was never that bothered.

I still don't have an engagement ring ( though he keeps perstering me to get one) and no wedding ring either.

We have lived together for over 23 years and were commited to each other from the word go. I never thought a piece of paper would make any difference and I was right. It was his idea rather than mine. We love each other and through the years have seen the good , the bad and the ugly in each other and walked through fire together.

Marriage is no certainty of lasting happiness. You have to be happy within yourself with or without marriage to make a relationship last. I find it strange so many women still get anxious that a guy is not proposing. If he is the man you love, if he treats you well , with respect and love, if he cares for and about you, if you trust each other then to me that is all that matters.

The only thing I have gained out of our marriage is the legal right to his pension which is hardly romantic ! Oh and we had a lovely wedding/honeymoon but then again we have never had a bad vacation in 23 years !!!

Being married really was never going to alter our relationship that much... If you are not good enough as a couple without the marriage certificate then IMO you will never be good enough with it.

He can still leave me anytime he wants or cheat on me regardless of the fact we are married. Nothing in life is ever certain apart from death.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Um, no they dont and neither of them cared about me living with someone prior. It's extremely common to cohabitate before marriage (or without marriage).
Alright, then. I will say that for every one who will come on here and say cohabitation is wonderful, I bet there would be one who would say it messed them up somehow and usually years down the road when their options for getting another mate had dwindled to almost nothing.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Cohabitation has been nothing but positive, for me.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Alright, then. I will say that for every one who will come on here and say cohabitation is wonderful, I bet there would be one who would say it messed them up somehow and usually years down the road when their options for getting another mate had dwindled to almost nothing.
Likewise there will be equally as many who say waiting to live with someone until they are married is a bad idea. Learning the nuances of what a person is like day-in and day-out can be shocking, damaging and can ruin a relationship. Personally, I would like to know about those things upfront before blindly marrying someone who may have serious personal issues that may not present themselves until you are living together.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:29 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
And likewise there are men living with women right now who would never dream of marrying them, because: why? They believe the woman's willingness to live with them indicated a lack of morality or virtue.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
And likewise there are men living with women right now who would never dream of marrying them, because: why? They believe the woman's willingness to live with them indicated a lack of morality or virtue.
Women who want to get married who date men who dont, are the one's at fault. Dont think you can change a mans mind or that enough begging or moral prowess is going to make him re-evaluate.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
So why would they want to live with somebody they hold in disdain due to lack of virtuousness?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
When I was in my 20's..

I had 3 serious boyfriends.

Was engaged to one almost immediatley (I was 19). We broke up 1 year after the engagement, after living together.

Dated another one seriously for 5 years. We lived together for about 6 months (it sucked!) - then I kicked him out and we continued to date for another 4 years.

I broke up with him when I realized that I was worried that he WOULD ask me to marry him. (I would have nightmares about having to tell him "NO"). I saw no future for our relationship. I wasn't against marriage - but was against it with him, because I just couldn't see our relationship going anywhere. So I ended that.

Then (late 20's at this point) - met, dated, was engaged at about month 9, was married 10 months later. We've been married 12 years.

So - while I was not against marriage, I wasn't crazy for it. I could have stayed with #2 unmarried forever, if our relationship had been better.

#3, it just seemed like "the next step" - even though we weren't interested in children.

And the tax benefits ain't bad, either.

I had friends who were given ultimatums or who gave ultimatums. Most of them either dumped the girl, or got engaged and then broke up with them after the engagement. If you have to force someone (guy or girl) into a proposal ... um - there are issues.

Good luck OP.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Hmmm where do all the single mothers come from then who are having children out of wedlock? I'm assuming the ones that bolt dont display those qualities, yet, women are having their children anyways.
Im assuming that is exactly the type of traits they are displaying. Woman doesnt have to be married but if she sees a male who is confident, charming and responsible - she will mate with him as those traits eqaute to security and protection. It has been this way for thousands of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships