Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM

11,813 posts, read 12,064,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Well, for one, Americans are known for not being able to handle their liquor. I hear women in other countries can out drink american men and still be able to function without acting crazy or throwing up all over the place.

Secondly, the infrastructure in America was designed around the automobile, so Americans are highly dependent on cars just to get from point A to point B versus places like Thailand or Korea where you can hire super cheap tuk tuks to get around or use the public transportation.
Whether or not you can handle your liquor has no bearing on what the legal limit cut-off is before being considered driving impaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:08 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,588,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Whether or not you can handle your liquor has no bearing on what the legal limit cut-off is before being considered driving impaired.
Agreed.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,316,689 times
I used to hit clubs in a lot of different cities with my posse, basically 10 good looking dudes dressed up in matching suits, as soon as we walked in, people would just stop and look. It was like taking over the club every single time.

We used to lie about what we did and some of those young girls really believed us.

We used to tell girls that we were a bunch of entrepreneurs trying to scope the new city for "business opportunities", so many girls were willing to go to our hotel and hang out after the club.

Now when I look back at some of the pictures, I can't believe how much of a douchebag I was. Those were some really fun times, though.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 14,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I've done my share of going out and talking with women. This is simply not true.
When women are in large groups, I have seen them shoot down men for sport. I have also seen this done by the attention seeking woman who has men orbiting around her all night. Most women don't respond this way. As a matter of my experience most enjoy a man coming up to talk with them. When a guy comes at most women with a total come on, they assume that he is looking for sex.

Just like so many men want to point to the rock star, sport star, or rich guy as the reason they fail, they also want to go after the woman who believes she is of the highest value in the room. These are generally failing propositions. I for one have rarely been at a bar or club with rock stars or sports stars or even rich guys. Their tastes tend to be out of my financial league. The really hot girl who knows she is hot is uninteresting, because she is generally so self absorbed that even if I had her attention she would be a bore.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 PM

732 posts, read 1,047,837 times
All this anger going back and forth between the sexes regarding men and women at bars and their assorted behaviors is quite interesting. Certainly, both sides make good points. Something to consider though...

I think one reason why men sometimes do come on too strongly and obnoxiously at bars is simply for ego protection. Women generally have no idea on how hard it can be for the typical man to lay his looks and personality on the line for review only to have himself shot down, sometimes not very kindly. Think of the way professional fighters, many of whom are nice guys outside the ring, psych themselves up before the fight by appearing mean and vicious. It's often a mask to hide fear and insecurity.

Lesbian author Norah Vincent wrote a book "Self-Made Man" where she disguised herself as a man and ventured forth into the real world to see things from the male perspective. One segment detailed her experience at a typical bar where "he" attempted to make contact with females.

She approached a table of women appearing to be a girl's night out sort of group. Without being at all obnoxious she attempted to make typical ice-breaking conversation with the ladies. She was shocked at how coldly and dismissively the ladies treated her. She quickly backed away, shaken to the core. She wrote that for the 1st time, she could understand men's anger towards women. She couldn't imagine being a man and having to routinely take such behavior in order to establish contact with women.

Ironically, she shed her disguise, dolled herself up to her female mode and approached the table again, fessing up that it had been her who had previously approached. She was instantly welcomed into the group and had a grand old time hangin' with the girls.

Yes, men shouldn't be obnoxious but then, maybe women should also leave the ice-princess persona at home. Maybe everyone would better understand each other and get along.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,161,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
All this anger going back and forth between the sexes regarding men and women at bars and their assorted behaviors is quite interesting. Certainly, both sides make good points. Something to consider though...

I think one reason why men sometimes do come on too strongly and obnoxiously at bars is simply for ego protection. Women generally have no idea on how hard it can be for the typical man to lay his looks and personality on the line for review only to have himself shot down, sometimes not very kindly. Think of the way professional fighters, many of whom are nice guys outside the ring, psych themselves up before the fight by appearing mean and vicious. It's often a mask to hide fear and insecurity.

Lesbian author Norah Vincent wrote a book "Self-Made Man" where she disguised herself as a man and ventured forth into the real world to see things from the male perspective. One segment detailed her experience at a typical bar where "he" attempted to make contact with females.

She approached a table of women appearing to be a girl's night out sort of group. Without being at all obnoxious she attempted to make typical ice-breaking conversation with the ladies. She was shocked at how coldly and dismissively the ladies treated her. She quickly backed away, shaken to the core. She wrote that for the 1st time, she could understand men's anger towards women. She couldn't imagine being a man and having to routinely take such behavior in order to establish contact with women.

Ironically, she shed her disguise, dolled herself up to her female mode and approached the table again, fessing up that it had been her who had previously approached. She was instantly welcomed into the group and had a grand old time hangin' with the girls.

Yes, men shouldn't be obnoxious but then, maybe women should also leave the ice-princess persona at home. Maybe everyone would better understand each other and get along.
That's a interesting experiment that see did dressing up like a man.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Bleagh. If MrsCPG were hit by a bus, I'm not sure I'd ever go into a place like that. Hey, the friendly neighborhood bar? Sure. But that? No way. I'm too old for that crap.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,403,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Financial crisis or not, at least Europeans have a rich culture to draw upon.
maybe but apparently you dont have your own City-data message board.... you can thank us for keeping your countries afloat with tourism

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,514,945 times
What about the senior citizen club?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,403,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I used to hit clubs in a lot of different cities with my posse, basically 10 good looking dudes dressed up in matching suits, as soon as we walked in, people would just stop and look. It was like taking over the club every single time.

We used to lie about what we did and some of those young girls really believed us.

We used to tell girls that we were a bunch of entrepreneurs trying to scope the new city for "business opportunities", so many girls were willing to go to our hotel and hang out after the club.

Now when I look back at some of the pictures, I can't believe how much of a douchebag I was. Those were some really fun times, though.
at least you admitted you were a douchebag...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships