Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I just turned 58 and as a school teacher I'm in better shape than many of the athletes I have in class, even with my smoking.

I spent most of my day today splitting, loading, unloading and stacking firewood. It was 92 degrees here.
Even so, in a group of guys 30 years younger than you, they'd consider you fit "for an old guy."

Doesn't make you better or worse, but it definitely doesn't make you the same as them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
So he can't play a game of rugby...big deal! He's got himself a 28-year old.

[hate the game not the player...ha! ]
Had for one date a twenty eight year old, she realised trying to push a middle aged man into her group of friends would not work out.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Even so, in a group of guys 30 years younger than you, they'd consider you fit "for an old guy."

Doesn't make you better or worse, but it definitely doesn't make you the same as them.
Oh, I know that. I just find it funny when I'm going strong and they start to whine about being tired.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM

20,726 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Hmm interesting, the bloke who put a shoulder in was a rep player weighing in at 240 lb, where the middle aged bloke was lucky to touch 160lb.
So at fifty eight you would be up to taking part in this bit elegant violence ?
No no pads.

Rugby, elegant violence- YouTube

You sound as if you can barely comprehend the major issue was 240lbs against 160lbs. Middle age is a factor, but an absolute irrelevancy here. I am 44 at about 190lbs, and I would obliterate most 160lb, 20-30 year olds. Sounds a lot like sour grapes from some meat heads who don't have enough sac to date the 28 year old babe.

The idiocy of some young men. ....

Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You can still be fit at 50 as you were in 25 but you will look older in face. Of course, you can also get plastic surgery, botox, etc.
You can be more fit than 25 year olds who are couch potatoes but in shape 20 somethings have better fitness.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You can be more fit than 25 year olds who are couch potatoes but in shape 20 somethings have better fitness.

Right. Back then there was no internet and more cable channels.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
You're right. I played club lacrosse until I was 66 and got the living daylights beat out of me. But I could still pass and shoot more accurately than a lot of the younger players and I never lost sight of how to be in the right position on the field. It's nature vs. nurture, but eventually nature does catch up with you.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
For many men past 50, sitting on your butt is not called fun. Some like to get up and mix it up with the kids. What's wrong with that. He got knocked out. Could have happened to someone younger too, you don't know. I ride motorcycles and I'm 59. Some would call me too old, but there's plenty of guys who do this. I think your comment is not only sexist, but you lack respect for your elders. Plus, I regularly see women who don't "dress their age" either. Its their life, let them be and stop being so judgmental.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
The idiot here, the way I see it, is the dumbass 240 meathead who tanked the 160 older man and YOU for thinking he deserved it.

It was a pick-up game afterall...did he really have to prove how "big and bad" he was by taking out someone significantly smaller than him?

My husband plays ice hockey. It's supposed to be non-contact but put a bunch of testosterone on the ice and it's fun to watch. Anyhow, there is one guy in his 50's and one that is 63 (the rest of the team is mid 30's to mid 40's). These dudes can skate circles around some of the players. My husband always comments that he hopes he is still playing well at their ages.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I assume you are in your early 20s.

As a 44-year-old, I can tell you that as you age and so much of your life repeats yourself, sometimes it is difficult to really really assess just where you "fit" among others.

I'm not talking about 60-year-olds who shouldn't be wearing bikinis and Speedos. I just mean it's hard to tell how old others really are in relation to you.

I have friends who are 20 years older than I and friends who are 20 years younger than I. Sometimes when we are together, I forget I'm not just like them. I mean, especially with my 20something friends, we can all laugh about the same movies or talk about music that we all enjoy. Later, in a fit of self-consciousness, I wonder if they just were tolerating me.

You won't understand it until you've lived a while longer. This realization that you are aging sometimes happens slowly. One day you're buying the same color eye shadow that you always have, and then you can only get it at one store, and then that store stops carrying it. And finally you say to yourself, "Hmm, maybe the reason I can't get that color anymore is because it's out of style. Guess I'd better find a new color."

The same thing happens with men, just with different stuff. You can't run as far as you used to. You need glasses to read the instructions for the new sound system. etc. The jeans you've "always bought" because they fit just right are nowhere to be found at any store.

I know, you probably wanted to hear some trash talk about old guys and ego and libido. Sometimes it's that. But not always.

Tried to rep you but still have to spread love... and there are so few I love, alas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships