Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times

Advertisements

Everyone's different. Some have to learn from making mistakes.
Some don't know what they want until they know what they don't want.
Some people aren't satisfied till they try all the flavors.
Some people know a good thing when they see it and don't bother looking any further.

I mean, in the end, if you do finally choose to commit to one person, you can always make the argument that you could have kept looking...at what point is it too many or not enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,499,121 times
Good points, stan4. Though I'd add that some people think they know a good thing when they see it, but due to lack of experience are woefully wrong and eventually regret it! On the flip side, some very experienced people never really learn what's truly important for compatibility and will contine to make poor choices no matter how long they try.

I think it's an individual choice, and regardless of your preference you may get it wrong anyway. If you're lucky - or smarter than most - you may get it right!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 AM

37,771 posts, read 46,244,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
I beg to disagree! The worst marriages I've seen are from people who married young, they usually hold a lot of grudges because of past things. The ones who married in their 40s fit with each other much better, they really know what they want.
I know far more young-married old couples that are happy. I suspect I am much older than you, and I have a bit more exposure to this. Certainly people can find love when they are older, but it is far harder to stay that way, in my opinion.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,409,222 times
I think in general it's a good thing to have several relationships before marriage. I don't mean dozens of one-night stands, I mean serial monogamy. It probably teachers people what they want and what they don't want.

In my case, I met my husband-to-be in High School and married him at 29. We were both virgins when we met and never had other relationships prior to meeting and we never have cheated. We're still together 30 years later. People sometimes ask me, "Don't you regret not having had sex with different guys?" Nope. Neither does he. Sure, I'm attracted to other men sometimes and wonder what they'd be like in the sack. But that's the extent of it.

To me, having sex 5,000 times with one person is more satisfying than having sex one time with 5,000 different people. Others will disagree, of course.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,409,222 times
Quote:
i never understood how some people could marry the first person they get in a relationship with.
i wouldnt buy the first house i look at, the first car i test drive, the first pair of shoes i see. why would i lower my standards when it comes to women.
And what if your first car was a '65 Shelby Cobra or '57 Corvette? What if the first house you looked at was your perfect embodiment of a home? How in the world is that "lowering your standards?" So if you met a woman at 18 or 19 that you worshipped, adored and who you were madly in love with (and she with you), you'd dump her because, after all, you'd be "lowering your standards?"

What sense does that make?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,929,160 times
I plan on settling down once I've been with at least 200 women sexually. I feel like I need to do everything I've ever wanted to do before committing to one woman for life.

I don't want to have any regrets.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM

11,831 posts, read 12,093,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
I plan on settling down once I've been with at least 200 women sexually. I feel like I need to do everyone I've ever wanted to do before committing to one woman for life.

I don't want to have any regrets.
Corrected that for you.

So for you, before you commit, you need to sleep with a couple hundred women? Out of curiosity, for what purpose? How does sex with 200 women benefit you? What would you be missing out on by not sleeping with 200 women?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Corrected that for you.

So for you, before you commit, you need to sleep with a couple hundred women? Out of curiosity, for what purpose? How does sex with 200 women benefit you? What would you be missing out on by not sleeping with 200 women?
It would just leave me with absolutely no regrets at all. I feel that if I'm going to settle down with one woman for possibly the next 40-50 years, I need to have everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) pertaining to sex with other women out of my system.

I don't want to be one of those married guys who regrets he never experienced certain things sexually (like 3somes or sex with a woman of every race) nor do I want to be one of those married guys who runs around on his wife. I figure if I go over that 200 number, I'll be so exausted, disgusted, and bored of that lifestyle that I'll be more than happy to settle down.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,595,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I know far too many older happily married couples that were high school sweethearts to agree with ya. Sorry.

Agreed. However with people having ADD of sorts these days I think it's good to try the milk before you buy it. I'm not saying run out & sleep with everyone you see as someone you might want to spend your life with. That's just wrong.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM

11,831 posts, read 12,093,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
It would just leave me with absolutely no regrets at all. I feel that if I'm going to settle down with one woman for possibly the next 40-50 years, I need to have everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) pertaining to sex with other women out of my system.

I don't want to be one of those married guys who regrets he never experienced certain things sexually (like threesomes or sex with a woman of every race) nor do I want to be one of those married guys who runs around on his wife. I figure if I go over that 200 number, I'll be so exausted, disgusted, and bored of that lifestyle that I'll be more than happy to settle down.
Hmmm. I don't think all married men wish they'd slept with someone of every race/nationality or had threesomes before settling down.

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding wanting to try everything sexually with women who will mean nothing to you in the end, and not having any new experiences with the woman you ultimately choose to share your life with. But, hey, to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships