Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,289 times

Advertisements

Not for me. But most likely guys who think that way are mentally immature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,764,661 times
As a fellow man, I politely and respectfully disagree with the premise that every man's goal is to get laid as much as possible. I can say with 100% honest certainty that what I really want is as much romantic love and affection from the opposite gender that I can get (and not meant in the intimate sense, either). I have dreamed of getting married, and having a loving family of my own, since I was literally about 9 or so years old. I have never once wanted or desired a short-term relationship with anyone, only a committed, serious, long-term, lasting, and (hopefully) permanent relationship, with that one special, affectionate caring girl. Of course, I have struggled with physical desire, much like any other man -- but I controlled the desire; I did not let it control me And I was largely very successful, in mastering the emotion of physical desire.

Getting laid and other similar forms of casual intimacy are simply not important for me; I need much more than that -- emotionally, I need a loving wife to share the rest of my life with, to raise a family together with, and to grow old together with. I want a more lasting and enduring, more permanent love.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-30-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
As a fellow man, I politely and respectfully disagree with the premise that every man's goal is to get laid as much as possible. I can say with 100% honest certainty that what I really want is as much romantic love and affection from the opposite gender that I can get (and not meant in the intimate sense either). I have dreamed of getting married, and having a loving family of my own, since I was literally about 9 or so years old. I have never once wanted or desired a short-term relationship with anyone, only a committed, serious, long-term, lasting, and (hopefully) permanent relationship, with that one special, affectionate caring girl. Of course, I have struggled with physical desire, much like any other man -- but I controlled the desire; I did not let it control me And I was largely very successful, in mastering the emotion of physical desire.

Getting laid and other similar forms of casual intimacy are simply not important for me; I need much more than that -- emotionally, I need a loving wife to share the rest of my life with, to raise a family together with, and to grow old together with. I want a more lasting and enduring, more permanent love.
Fair enough, but be prepared to be lauded upon like you are a saint.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,993 times
I think we're confusing goals and needs. Everyone barring geniune asexuals has sexual drive. It's biological. If we didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation now. Reproduction is important and a combination of hormones and chemicals let us know this once we hit puberty. It's our genes way of saying, let's get moving kiddo.

The problem arises when we put this in a modern context, where people can comfortably live to 80 or above, and now are more physically healthy than at any point in history. Now we can have sex for pleasure as well as for offspring. It's completely natural and normal to want sex, but the question is, is that your sole purpose or goal in life. The latter is not so good. You can have all the sex you want while still making something else, rock-climbing, writing, politics, or painting to list a few vocations, your primary goal.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Fair enough, but be prepared to be lauded upon like you are a saint.
Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like a good man of high character... some of us here can learn from him.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,764,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like a good man of high character... some of us here can learn from him.
Many thanks to Rabbitluvr and Yellow Jacket for your very kind and generous comments; I feel very touched and truly honored by your wonderful compliments! I also have nothing but the highest respect for you both as well, very much enjoy and have admired reading your posts on here as well!

Thx again & hope that everyone has an amazing Labor Day holiday this weekend!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:05 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I think we're confusing goals and needs. Everyone barring geniune asexuals has sexual drive. It's biological. If we didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation now. Reproduction is important and a combination of hormones and chemicals let us know this once we hit puberty. It's our genes way of saying, let's get moving kiddo.
I suspect this narrow view of humanity is what lead a member on an earlier thread to say that it's every man's goal to get laid as much as possible. But biology isn't destiny. Sex hormones aren't the only thing that drive us, and humans are more complex than lower animals. Knight's post points to the fact that we have emotions, intellect and other mental factors that govern our decision-making, even in such a primal arena as sex. Someone could be having all the sex they want with random people and still be miserable because they have no emotional connection with anyone. They might find that life is empty of meaning.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yep. But I will say that the fallout can be VERY bad. An old coworker of mine was one of those 'sleep with a ton of women' guys until he fell, hard, for one of them. She rejected him harshly because of his past and he never was the same. I think he'd probably give up all those other one night stands and FWB to be with her. I think he's slowly turning into one of those MRA guys but doesn't realize it was his own decisions that got him here.
These guys are usually the ones who fall hardest when they meet the right women.

What's MRA?

Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Sounds like you're ordering off the menu at McDonald's drive-thru. "one of each"? We're WOMEN, not catalog items! What achievement is it to have sex with each race or a woman from North Dakota??

And here I thought bi-coastal's goal of 300 women was repulsive.

I don't even understand this mentality. It's just sex, with different women, and in the end will mean nothing.
As a (desperate) virgin, I found that in poor taste.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think there is a difference between wanting to get laid all the time and actually going out and getting laid all the time. What I mean is this - orgasms feel good. Who wouldn't want an orgasm everyday? But there is a difference between people who have sex with random people willy nilly because getting laid is all they care about and those that care about substance and quality - even though they would like to have an orgasm everyday.
Rep!
Having sex with random people usually doesnt result in great sex. One of the reasons I havent had a one night stand since I was 20. It takes a while to get to know what works for your partner and it almost always results in heights that a one night stand could never achieve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships