Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 AM

132 posts, read 176,218 times

Advertisements

A lot of horrible people have partners, especially those with either looks or money (or both). There are a lot of good people who are alone. There are a lot of bad people who treat people like ****, but have no problem finding partners. It's an injustice, but people pass it off as "life's not fair".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
there is plenty of talk about love, what to do, how to meet partners etc.. but does everyone deserve love or happiness?

there are plenty of single people around who have never had a GF or BF and likely never will, yet they are often very nice people.

whose fault is that, and why should they be constantly denied?
Why is "fault" involved?
Are you talking about yourself?

I don't want a relationship, and all relationships don't bring love or happiness.

Peruse these links for a reality check:

CDC - Violence Prevention Home Page - Injury
CDC - Home Page - Intimate Partner Violence - Violence Prevention - Injury
Intimate partner violence (IPV) is a serious, preventable public health problem that affects millions of Americans. The term "intimate partner violence" describes physical, sexual, or psychological harm by a current or former partner or spouse. This type of violence can occur among heterosexual or same-sex couples and does not require sexual intimacy.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Intimate Partner Violence in the U.S.
This link provides the Bureau of Justice statistics on intimate partner violence in the US.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I am not sure they are even deserved. Someone should give us food, water, and shelter just because we exist? Our right to those things has been earned and protected through an awful lot of bloodshed and sacrafice. We should be thankful for them, not feel entitled.
Yeah, better to let them die.
Nope, basic human rights.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
A lot of horrible people have partners, especially those with either looks or money (or both). There are a lot of good people who are alone. There are a lot of bad people who treat people like ****, but have no problem finding partners. It's an injustice, but people pass it off as "life's not fair".
Yep. It goes back to like attracting like, water seeking its own level, you attract what you are, etc. A loser will attract other losers, so it's not like you as the single person, are missing out on a quality relationship with a woman because she's with an ex-con/druggie/alcoholic/unemployed/homeless guy. If he's such a "stellar" person, you can guarantee she is too.

You make the best of what you have in life, and if you're lacking the results you desire, it's on you. No one is obligated to give you what you want, from relationships, to jobs to other life successes, it's on you to create/pursue what you desire. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, other accomplished people, they didn't get to where they were by sitting around with their hand out, having a lazy and entitled attitude.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You really believe the people who work the hardest are rewarded the most?
Not always, but they'll be much further ahead than the guy who thinks he doesn't have to make any effort at all, and everything he has ever desired will just fall into his lap.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
there is plenty of talk about love, what to do, how to meet partners etc.. but does everyone deserve love or happiness?

there are plenty of single people around who have never had a GF or BF and likely never will, yet they are often very nice people.

whose fault is that, and why should they be constantly denied?
Referring to bolded portion above: a resounding yes, in my humble opinion Love and affection are both very human needs, and that everyone fundamentally and universally needs. No one should ever have to go without having loved, and being loved...

Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Referring to bolded portion above: a resounding yes, in my humble opinion Love and affection are both very human needs, and that everyone fundamentally and universally needs. No one should ever have to go without having loved, and being loved...
So, you're saying everyone is deserves a partner.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
So, you're saying everyone is deserves a partner.
Lol sure, why not? Unless someone has done something very ethically heinous and grevious, like committed murder or intentional assault and harm on someone or something similar like that, shouldn't everyone ideally have a fair opportunity at loving, and being loved back? Everyone, every single one of us, needs love, to be truly emotionally-healthy and happy...why should some go without? I have never quite understood why some claim that some are "deserving", while others are not...and the latter seems like a rather cruel and uncaring alternative...

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Lol sure, why not? Unless someone has done something very ethically heinous and grevious, like committed murder or intentional assault and harm on someone or something similar like that, shouldn't everyone ideally have a fair opportunity at loving, and being loved back? Everyone, every single one of us, needs love, to be truly emotionally-healthy and happy...why should some go without? I have never quite understood why some claim that some are "deserving", while others are not...and the latter seems like a rather cruel and uncaring alternative...
I have to disagree with the bolded sentiment. I think the love does not necessarily need to be romantic. I think you can be emotionally healthy and permanently single. Those are not mutually exclusive.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Quote:
Lol sure, why not? Unless someone has done something very ethically heinous and grevious, like committed murder or intentional assault and harm on someone or something similar like that, shouldn't everyone ideally have a fair opportunity at loving, and being loved back? Everyone, every single one of us, needs love, to be truly emotionally-healthy...why should some go without? I have never quite understood why some claim that some are "deserving", while others are not...and the latter seems like a rather cruel and uncaring alternative...
No everyone deserves the pursuit of a partner. I'm not going to be with anyone just because they deserve it. You don't deserve a partner nor do I. We do deserve to pursue if that is what you want. Not everyone needs to love someone or be loved to be healthy. Sorry, I call BS because I'm successful then many lovebirds out there. It has a role but it can be defied as humans have the ability to reason. As a result, I can disregard it and function just fine without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships