Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Agreed.

And your socioeconomic status in America is something that you could change if you really wanted to (which is why I see no reason to complain about it).

Talking about the Caste System in India and the system in America are two very different things, apples and oranges.
You don't really believe that sheer willpower and hard work let's someone from the ghetto become middle class do you? I mean, I know that the American dream thing has been bombarding you all your life, but you do know that it is a fantasy and not a reality? Wealth distribution in the US is the worst out of all the Western states. Family background and neighbourhood have a massive impact on how well you will do in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:30 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
You don't really believe that sheer willpower and hard work let's someone from the ghetto become middle class do you? I mean, I know that the American dream thing has been bombarding you all your life, but you do know that it is a fantasy and not a reality? Wealth distribution in the US is the worst out of all the Western states. Family background and neighbourhood have a massive impact on how well you will do in life.
I still believe you can change your life. Okay, sheer willpower and hard work may not be enough. There is one thing that is power in this still-free but soon to be prison country, that is knowledge. Study the system, and figure out how to play in a way that benefits you the most.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Personally I always go for what attracts me.

As I don't judge myself to be in any "league" other than my own, they're all fair game.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Leagues Classes cliques, its all the same. Just like High School. The reason you don't go above your league is because you have virtually no chance. The reason you don't go much below is that your friends and family will say, "why is she with him??, she could do much better." The reality is that most want a "trophy" of sorts, a catch. They choose by whats outside, physical appearance, education, job, money etc. Those that don't go that way are very few. "Pretty Woman" is a myth. Yes, it might happen but its very unlikely and if it does, it has to be with someone who is clearly a "10" or an "11". EG: There was the one girl in our HS. She was a real dish, pretty face and a killer body. She hung out with a group of kids, most of them like me, middle class, educated, but a few were definitely upper middle class. They had a enclosed pool at the house, and that was rare in those days. Nobody in the whole HS could get even a date from her, except finally our senior year, she went out with one guy. Pretty much same in college, but no real boyfriend that any of us knew of. We started to think she was a lesbian. Finally she got married, to a nice looking lawyer, who later became a judge. That's right, she was just waiting for someone who was up to her standards.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ya know, I've noticed a lot of my male friends/acquaintances marrying women with whom they have NOTHING in common with. It's actually really interesting because they'll inevitably start complaining about how their wives/girlfriends don't appreciate them and don't support them....well, maybe if you'd date someone you had at least 1 thing in common with this wouldn't be an issue. But hey, at least they're hot!
So this is what happens when people marry just for looks, or "hotness". Thanks for the bulletin, JJ.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Leagues exist via socio-economic status much more so than looks.

This is what most don't understand. They think of leagues in terms of looks. That's simply not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Socioeconomic leagues and classes do not matter to me one iota, regarding love and romance I am doing reasonably well financially (pretty much upper-middle-class), and would have no problems whatsoever dating someone making substantially less in pay, such as a fast food worker, a grocery store employee, or blue collar workers, social workers, clerical workers, and similar professions. A nice girl is a nice girl is a nice girl, all across the board, and regardless of her socioeconomic class. To me personally, love is much more important than money will ever be, in a potential beloved.
Yes wawaweewa, it is part of the truth though. I think there is def such a thing as leagues but only the shallowest judge on looks and money alone. I think that people look to match on many levels and they look for "value." If a man who makes a lot of money hooks up with a woman who does not, he may look for hotness or someone who can help him socially, or a woman who can put on a good party or someone much younger. This is a simplistic example and folks may not even be aware that they're comparing qualities but they are and couples match up pretty well usually, at least for awhile.

And Knight, for those of you who are not shallow, studies have found that the couples who stay together the longest are those who match closely in their values and it doesn't hurt to share a similar spiritual viewpoint. In short, Knight, you will want someone you can talk to, and that probably means someone who is educated, either in school or self-taught. If you are living in an area where few people share your values, you will have a harder time finding a mate. But Knight, wonderful as you are, I doubt that even you will give a second glance to an obese young woman waiting tables in the all-night diner. You might give a glance to a girl who is on your spiritual wavelength and can talk all night about the things you love best, no matter what her job or looks ranking and in that you are getting "value."

I also believe that people who are looking for a relationship are looking at type even more than looks or money. How many times have you glanced someone's way only to think, "Oh no, he/she's not my type." Yeah, maybe if you're looking for a quick hook-up you might not care and go for hotness or just whatever you can get (later in the evening, lol) but you all know what i mean.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Very true. And I don't know the extent to which these factors would differ even between the US and the UK, where I'm told the class system is still alive and well. Or France, or Germany, or Australia. Are people much less likely to mix across class lines in the UK than elsewhere, or does it boil down to the individual, as in the US?
I lived in the UK for about 6 months. I never saw any of this "class system" I've heard so much about. In fact, I haven't seen it anywhere. I've lived in the US for most of my life and have NEVER seen it.

I think this thread (like many other threads on this forum) is simply an excuse for being lazy and not going after what you want.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Willpower, hard work, and smart decisions, yes I do.

It isn't fantasy. Will it take more effort for a person from the ghetto to obtain middle class status than a person born into it? Sure. Is it impossible? Definitely not. I've found that the biggest detriment to the vast majority of people is not a lack of money, but a negative attitude.

Anybody can be rich, but if you haven't started out that way, it will take a significant amount of time and effort.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I never realized leagues, other than baseball, existed until this forum.

I roll in oblivion.
I think many would be since we tend to roll with our own. That's one interesting aspect of the net.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships