Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
They also make women more wary of guys in general.

One time I made a comment to a woman who had an umbrella when it was raining. Got told to **** off.

I never reacted to anyone like that for making small talk.
Nah I'm nice to people who do small talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM

229 posts, read 424,088 times
I guess getting hit on can be kind of annoying, but when I really think about it, I am happy anyone is still interested. I'm sure there are chics who never get hit on and I think that would be kind of sad. I guess I don't get hit on as much as I did when I was younger (I'm 39), but I guess most guys my age are w/someone and should not be hitting on me anyways.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Nah I'm nice to people who do small talk.
Well some people are grouchy to strangers.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Well some people are grouchy to strangers.
It all depends on their moods and personality. Just tonight I went out and this nice older woman told me she liked my top. And I told her where I got it from. We discuss finding items on sale and cheaper than we were younger with all the name brand high end stuff. She was super sweet and wished me a Happy Holiday.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
You have a very smart girlfriend. Maybe she has noticed you are (possibly?) the jealous type. Everyone wants to feel desired. If you look at it from a certain angle. Guys hitting on her is a compliment to YOU and your good taste. What would you propose as a remedy? Have her go around in a gunny sack with a scarf on her head? If she's Angelina, Halle, Gabrielle or Jennifer beautiful, that's not gonna change anything...she's still gonna get hit on!

I like compliments, and unfortunately the hitting on part comes with it sometimes. You just have to decide once and for all to trust your lady and forget about it.

Too many posts to reply to. But I just want to make one thing clear. I don't have much of a problem that she gets hit on. It comes with the territory and is a reality whether I like it or not. There are always going to be some low-class men with sleazy and degrading approach qualities. While I don't like that, again its a reality.

Also I don't recall it happening when we are in each others company, a full on hit on that is. People being friendly or sociable is common.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Eww... people really say these things?
Yes, it has happened to me as well.

Quote:
Apparently, these CD folks make it all sound too commonplace.
You might be surprised. All of my friends have experienced similar at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
It IS commonplace. It happens to a lot of women constantly.

This is especially true if you live in places where you come in frequent, close contact with a lot of strangers, like on crowded streets, the subway, the bus, in stores, etc. The anonymity of a big city emboldens men to act this way because they know they'll never see you again--and are, therefore, less likely to get in trouble. Whereas, in a smaller town, people are less likely to do this, because they know they'll probably run into you again. .......But I've lived in a big city for most of my adult life. In big cities with a lot of pedestrians and public transit, like NYC, DC, Chicago, etc. where you're not in the cocoon of your car--anything goes.
These are the sorts of comments that happen on a crowded sidewalk, on the subway or at a bus stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
I can see how it could be annoying for an attractive woman to be hit on constantly but I'm sure its far better than never ever being hit on.
It might be if the comments weren't lewd and you worried about things escalating because you said no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post

There are also guys who don't handle it well. What I find funny is the first insults they always tend to throw out when you reject them is you're either fat or ugly.
Or that you are a lesbian, a B**** or frigid, because there is no way you could be rejecting a "hottie" like the winner who was making the lewd comments.

This story is a great example why women can be leery:
To Creepy NYC Street Harassers

Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,153,184 times
I had that experience too. I would rather not be hit at all.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes, it has happened to me as well.

You might be surprised. All of my friends have experienced similar at some point.

To Creepy NYC Street Harassers
Ah, the advantages of being a man.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
My GF gets hit on pretty regularly. 2-3 times a week on average. She says she would rather it not happen at all.
I find this statement very hard to believe.

For women that get hit on regularly and in a relationship or have been, be honest, would you seriously say you would rather not be hit on at all?
you don't know what you got till its gone..........
Of course not.

Depends on the guy, but I don't mind as long as they are polite. Right now, I've been working my ass off at the gym and if I didn't get hit on occasionally, I'd be ticked.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Of course not.

Depends on the guy, but I don't mind as long as they are polite. Right now, I've been working my ass off at the gym and if I didn't get hit on occasionally, I'd be ticked.
Don't put your happiness in the hands of other people.

I work hard at the gym too, but I do it for strength and health.

I laugh when women say Im getting too big, when I am not even close to looking like arnie yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships