Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQC View Post
I think he thought he was a good husband in his own way. My grandmother and the children never had to worry about money, they would go on holiday to her favourite places, like I said he hired housekeepers because he didn't want her to do house chores, there were no restrictions to the amount of things she could buy, the kids went to very good schools, etc. Back then standards were rather different, not that I'm saying that is an excuse.
You do know that Jackie Kennedy knew John F was cheating on her with Marilyn Monroe right? Robert Kennedy was in on the action as well. She still supported John F till he breathed his last breath too. At that time, being a devout Catholic, you supported your husband no matter the transgressions. Very much so the case with your grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
No they are not, I vehemently disagree with this widely held misconception, the two are very closely linked. What a pity that the Gramdpa never learned this. As an older male that has always been a one woman man and never been unfaithful to the woman in my life, will state that sex with someone you love is absolutely wonderful, and have always been puzzled as to why any person, man or woman, would wish to stray from something so good.

Hey just because you overlap the two (and I'm sure many people do) that doesn't mean sex and love aren't separate things. Clearly sex occurs every day without love, so your opinion that its a "misconception" is just nonsensical.

Next time try "for me, sex and love are inextricably linked".

Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
My grandparents were married for 54 years. For decades my grandfather had a revolving door of mistresses. He always had an eye for pretty women and wouldn't let the best ones escape (he was extremely good looking when he was younger and up to his 50s). He was a very hard worker, very responsible when it came to the children (even though he was mostly absent) and never mistreated my grandmother. She was in charge at home and he complied. Her word was law.

My grandmother always knew but stayed in her position as a faithful and dedicated wife and mother. She didn't work and was completely dependent on him. She was also very religious and came from an ultraconservative family, so there was no choice but to keep the marriage.

Even as kid I remember sometimes seeing my grandfather in the car with much younger women.

She died just over a year ago from breast cancer. The other day I noticed that my grandfather, always a very arrogant, masculine, full of himself type of guy, now has a picture of her on his desk in the studio. He still doesn't allow anyone to sit in her place at the table.

At her funeral, I couldn't believe when I saw him washed in tears, totally devastated. I mean, this sounds cruel, but now he can have all the women he wants (sure he's old but he has the money). Why be such an hipocrite in the end?
cuz, he'z hoomin!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
My grandparents were married for 54 years. For decades my grandfather had a revolving door of mistresses. He always had an eye for pretty women and wouldn't let the best ones escape (he was extremely good looking when he was younger and up to his 50s). He was a very hard worker, very responsible when it came to the children (even though he was mostly absent) and never mistreated my grandmother. She was in charge at home and he complied. Her word was law.

My grandmother always knew but stayed in her position as a faithful and dedicated wife and mother. She didn't work and was completely dependent on him. She was also very religious and came from an ultraconservative family, so there was no choice but to keep the marriage.

Even as kid I remember sometimes seeing my grandfather in the car with much younger women.

She died just over a year ago from breast cancer. The other day I noticed that my grandfather, always a very arrogant, masculine, full of himself type of guy, now has a picture of her on his desk in the studio. He still doesn't allow anyone to sit in her place at the table.

At her funeral, I couldn't believe when I saw him washed in tears, totally devastated. I mean, this sounds cruel, but now he can have all the women he wants (sure he's old but he has the money). Why be such an hipocrite in the end?
It sounds to me like in spite of all his cheating ways, deep down he really did love her. Not to justify his behavior but in the end she was always the one he would come home to, spend most of his time with, do stuff with, travel with, have dinner with, the list goes on

If anything, he deserves to have those who love him by his side. The thought of being married 54 years and then suddenly losing the one you love is quite saddening whether he cheated or not. Did you also think maybe he regretted all the times he cheated and wishes for a clean conscience? My condolences go out to him

Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Sounds like he loved her.

Some people can "box off" parts of their lives. You can never know what it is like inside someone else's relationship.
Yep, it's called 'compartmentalization' and men in general are quite adept at it.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:

Just because he cheated doesn't mean he didn't love her. I wouldn't be name calling without full knowledge of their sex live (shudder)....

Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
In their own way they loved each other. There are many different kinds of people who make up this world we live in.

I'm so very sorry for your loss of beloved Grandma.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
"Lol you would cry if your man died because he would not be around to finance your lifestyle"

Huh, I funded my own lifestyle, actually made more $$'s that my deceased husbands did.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Yep, it's called 'compartmentalization' and men in general are quite adept at it.
So are women, I assure you. For whatever reason when the topic of cheating comes up most think men. From my personal exposure I mainly see women cheating on their husbands, but it's still the mans fault

Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
No they are not, I vehemently disagree with this widely held misconception, the two are very closely linked.
For you. And that's fine. Others, such as myself disagree vehemently. We're not wrong either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships