Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is it really about physical chemistry for most people?! No mental chemistry? No spiritual chemistry? No personality chemistry? Oh well. ....never mind.
i think you're underestimating the importance of sexual attraction in a romantic relationship. personally, i think that without it you're at best just friends.

the other things you mentioned can well be had within normal platonic relationships (mental/spiritual/personality chemistry).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
i think you're underestimating the importance of sexual attraction in a romantic relationship. personally, i think that without it you're at best just friends.

the other things you mentioned can well be had within normal platonic relationships (mental/spiritual/personality chemistry).
While I agree with you that sexual attraction is a "must" for most relationships, I also agree with R4T. I think that what she is implying is that sexual attraction can develop between two people where it previously did not exist. The emotional, mental, spiritual aspects of attraction can lead to sexual desires. Or the lack of them could extinguish sexual desire. I've experienced this going both ways.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
sexual attraction can develop between two people where it previously did not exist. The emotional, mental, spiritual aspects of attraction can lead to sexual desires. Or the lack of them could extinguish sexual desire.
DING DING DING DING DING! There can be no sexual attraction where there is no intellectual attraction or personality attraction. For some people, anyway.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Please differentiate between good looking and attractive. Females are attracted to good looking guys, yes of course. But women are also attracted to guys who are not good looking. There are other factors involved. Therefore ----- you can be not good looking and still have girls attracted to you!
Absolutely. Even if someone is attracted to you because you're good looking, and you're an airhead or arrogant, as soon as you open your mouth, the game's over.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-27-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
this is hands down the best advice i can give as well, when it comes to dating. my buddies and i say, "if there's any doubt, there is no doubt". point being (just as srjth says), if you're not totally into it, you won't be able to give your all and neither you nor the other person will be happy.

i for one have never been the kind who can change his mind about a chic. as soon as i see her (ok, maybe within 10 seconds of seeing her) i'm pretty decided as to whether i want anything romantic or not to happen between us. i think most guys are like this, to be honest.
Quote:

I understand...

But if EVERYBODY thought like that, a relatively large proportion of the population would never date, have sex, or experience love because NOBODY would find them attractive.

Chew on that for a second.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM

410 posts, read 515,413 times
I talk to every guy standing in the circle and the one who has the most in common with myself is the one I am interested in the most. Looks are not everything.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Absolutely. Even if someone is attracted to you because you're good looking, and you're an airhead or arrogant, as soon as you open your mouth, the game's over.
Ding ding ding. And it works in both directions. People who are good looking can move either into or out of sexual attraction based on personality, values, interests and intellect etc

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I used to be exactly like this from 15 until 18. Now I try to be more confident and assertive, and ask out people I'm romantically attached to quickly to avoid the friend label. All it is has resulted is faster rejections. In a way, it is better. It's like jumping into the icy pool versus slowly inching your way into it. The end result is the same, but at least I'm not left wishing and hoping now.
Very smart, Ducks. I have never understood how people can stand lingering feelings and pining away for some for weeks. Just say it and get it over with. At least you know.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Very smart, Ducks. I have never understood how people can stand lingering feelings and pining away for some for weeks. Just say it and get it over with. At least you know.
Sometimes you don't know until you're already in too deep.

But there's a solution to that.

Just ask out every semi-attractive (or non as well) female that you come across within the first week of meeting her.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,915 times
Likely they are sure they have no interest in someone because if they had interest in that person they wouldn't be a friend or they would have acted on it sooner.

More likely you would give a gal pal who was pretty cool and infatuated/in love with you consideration or sleep on it because it's possible you lack options or as a guy if she's half-decent she'll do for a f*ck.

Most likely there are people you are sure you have no interest you such as gal who you're not physically/sexually attracted to, who isn't compatible with you, or who isn't relationship material for you. Bit curious why you seem to think being friends overrides those possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships