Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Date someone with a disability?
Yes 31 31.00%
No 13 13.00%
Depends on the circumstance 55 55.00%
Other/undecided 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
So misinformed.

How many disabled people do you even know personally?

Most people who have responded by saying they wouldn't date someone with a disability have responded based on misconceived notions of what people with various disabilities can and cannot do.

Rather than saying you wouldn't date someone with a disability because of X, Y, or Z--when X, Y, and Z are all inaccurate--maybe it's time to reevaluate your idea of how disabilities play out.

Folks, please watch the videos I posted on this thread. They show that people with disabilities can be independent, athletic, musical, sexual, and all things that at least one poster in the thread has assumed incorrectly.
Agreed, I've actually found disabled people to be MORE independent than non-disabled people.

They may not do things the same way, but they get stuff done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:12 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Anytime I say never, "Oh I'd never date that kind of guy." Or "I'd never be attracted to that kind of guy."

10/10, my never nevers come true.

What you resist persists!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
This is what people say: "I mountain bike 5 times a week and I would want her to enjoy the scenery with me."

Translation: I don't want someone crippled, blind or deaf.

I don't know why they just don't come out and say it.
Exactly, lol Lets be real for once

Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times
Quote:
I'm on the spectrum too. I've dated a lot of wonderful people. You're not screwed.
just need motivation, well the internship i've been doing for the past 2 and a half months, has risen my self-esteem

Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
I wouldn't have a problem with it. A lot of disabled people lead extremely accomplished lives.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times
Quote:
I have to ask--to those who say they wouldn't date someone deaf/blind/in a wheelchair, what about us scares you? Is it the idea that we would be dependent upon you? I am very independent...I find a way to do pretty much everything on my own. Really the only thing I require assistance with is to fill out the occasional form and have someone read the occasional letter to me...nothing big. I cook and clean and get around just fine, and my friends who can't do those things have caregivers that get paid to cook and clean and help them with other things--they don't put those expectations on their dating partners. In fact the last time I lived with my partner-at-the-time, I was the one with two jobs despite deafness and blindness while she sat at home and did nothing. She was more dependent on me. So what is there to be afraid of? I honestly don't get it. Maybe I can get an able-bodied perspective because as someone with multiple disabilities, I just don't understand what the big deal is.
WOW. You are an inspiration to us all.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
No. Disabled people are more inclined to be dependent and clingy than non-disabled individuals
What a load of BS! I've known a couple of disabled people and what struck me first was their independence and their desire to be independent, despite the hand they were dealt. Your post isn't just misinformed, it's cruel.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
And I absolutely would date a disabled woman. It really wouldn't matter.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I know more then likey I will get flammed for this but in all honesty what is the point in being with someone who can't do/share the things you like to do? Sure it would be honorable to be with someone who had a disabilty. But when your looking for someone to settle down with you want someone who can do & share certain things with you. Yes, some people with disablities can do some things you would never expect them to be able to do. So sure it sounds great that some here would date someone with certain disablities but in all realty I think there are some we couldn't handle.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well hopefully you got the point I was making in the first place. Most of the people don't want someone with a disability but will use a different reason to say this.
Yes, I can definitely pick up on the glaring ableism that is pervasive throughout this whole thread. So depressing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships