Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,151 times

Advertisements

online dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
Online dating is a joke

It's a joke if you use the wrong sites, or use them badly. If you are looking for a "purple squirrel" as the headhunters say - someone with unusual features, like child-free, a specific religion or philosophy, etc. probably online is the best way to go about it, rather than, for example if you are child-free, meet girl, go on a few dates, learn she wants a family, dump her as gracefully as you can, rinse, and repeat...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,679,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It's a joke if you use the wrong sites, or use them badly. If you are looking for a "purple squirrel" as the headhunters say - someone with unusual features, like child-free, a specific religion or philosophy, etc. probably online is the best way to go about it, rather than, for example if you are child-free, meet girl, go on a few dates, learn she wants a family, dump her as gracefully as you can, rinse, and repeat...

Dates in online dating?

I sent 40 messages once and did not get a single response

Online dating is completely futile for guys like me who just do regular conversation (instead of the dancing clown routine)

Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
I'm just missing something, maybe a certain series of traits that makes me very unappealing to women when I'm first talking to them
Probably your problem is, in a nutshell, you have convinced yourself that you are unattractive/awkward around women, and darn it, you fulfill your own expectations.

I was a bit like this in my teens. One way to overcome it is to continue your physical routines, as I am always preaching on here, "muscle up and make out" - it worked (after a fashion) for Arnold, and it will work for you too. You look good in your pictures. One venue would be to take it to the next level, so to speak.

Get good at something. I learned cars, for one thing. When I would come upon a "damsel in distress" and the distress was coming from her car, "thank you Jesus, thank you Lord" I would say, many casual dates from that.

By the time I was in college, I had indeed muscled up, and majoring in Physics at a liberal arts school, was considered "a brain" as well, that attracted some ladies.

You have to do whatever it takes so when you look in the mirror, you see an awesome dude that some gal will be really glad to meet. Up to you to figure out what that is.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,991 times
Quote:
Dates in online dating?

I sent 40 messages once and did not get a single response

Online dating is completely futile for guys like me who just do regular conversation (instead of the dancing clown routine)
It's one of those things that requires skill. It takes a little while to learn how to do it.

When I first started online dating, I got no responses. As I started changing my messages, pictures, and profile around, I started getting better results. I progressed from no responses, to not so hot girls responding, to girls messaging me, to dates, to hot girls responding (but no dates with them). Unfortunately, I moved and now I'm in a location where there are very few females online dating within 50 miles of me. But I think if I would have stayed at my previous locale, I would be getting dates with hot girls from online by now.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:10 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
That's the spirit!
Thanks.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,679,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
It's one of those things that requires skill. It takes a little while to learn how to do it.

When I first started online dating, I got no responses. As I started changing my messages, pictures, and profile around, I started getting better results. I progressed from no responses, to not so hot girls responding, to girls messaging me, to dates, to hot girls responding (but no dates with them). Unfortunately, I moved and now I'm in a location where there are very few females online dating within 50 miles of me. But I think if I would have stayed at my previous locale, I would be getting dates with hot girls from online by now.

Online dating is hugely one sided

The reason is because it's hard to convey your charisma and personality through an e-mail but it's very easy for women to convey their beauty through pictures. It puts you at a huge disadvantage as a man

Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Probably your problem is, in a nutshell, you have convinced yourself that you are unattractive/awkward around women, and darn it, you fulfill your own expectations.

I was a bit like this in my teens. One way to overcome it is to continue your physical routines, as I am always preaching on here, "muscle up and make out" - it worked (after a fashion) for Arnold, and it will work for you too. You look good in your pictures. One venue would be to take it to the next level, so to speak.

Get good at something. I learned cars, for one thing. When I would come upon a "damsel in distress" and the distress was coming from her car, "thank you Jesus, thank you Lord" I would say, many casual dates from that.

By the time I was in college, I had indeed muscled up, and majoring in Physics at a liberal arts school, was considered "a brain" as well, that attracted some ladies.

You have to do whatever it takes so when you look in the mirror, you see an awesome dude that some gal will be really glad to meet. Up to you to figure out what that is.
That "something" that you need to get good at is conversation and seduction of women. He needs to go out and hit on girls constantly. The ability to attract is a skill. Would you suggest to someone trying to get good at math to practice swinging a baseball? Of course not. You'd tell him to go do tons of math problems until the subject made sense to him.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Here's how I met my wife. Wine bar in SE PDX:

THURSDAY

"Hi, I'm Timothy."

"Hi, I'm Nina."

"I heard you're in the Army."

"Yes. I'm a Staff Sergeant."

"It was good to meet you. I hope I see you again soon."

Friday

Text message:

"Hey some friends are going out for pizza tomorrow afternoon, will you be there?"

"I might be but I have some errands to run, so may be late."

I went she showed up when I had to leave in five minutes. It was horrible.

Later that day:

"Hey you know we live pretty close to each other, I'd be happy to drive you to..."

"Sure!"

Almost two years later.

She's lying on the couch. Our daughter is climbing on me. We're watching Pocahontas as a respite from the horrible news of the day.

It's nowhere near as difficult as you make it.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Online dating is hugely one sided

The reason is because it's hard to convey your charisma and personality through an e-mail but it's very easy for women to convey their beauty through pictures. It puts you at a huge disadvantage as a man
It's do-able. I have a few friends that are REALLY good at online dating. This is what they have told me.

For me, personally, I find talking to someone online for a little while to be extremely boring. I love flirting. I'm a huge flirt. But it's WAYYY better doing it in person. Online is lame and I don't have the patience for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships