Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
the OP. her and brahma and tvsg just whine about same things over and over and over

How bout coming to philly so we can go on a date and then my APT?

Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
25 isn't that young.

When I was 25 I'd been married a year.

25=probably a third of your life is already behind you.

If you've achieved zero at 25, you probably aren't going to fire up for the next 50 years either.

Not many 25 year olds live alone in this new economy

Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They need to toughen up and work harder.

I worked more than one job for most of my youth. At one stage I was doing 40 hours at one job and 20 at another.

I was thrown out of home at 17 so didn't have a choice. And yes, I got my own place and lived alone and paid my own bills and had about $7 a week to clothe and feed myself and buy hairspray and (it was the 80s) and get to and from work every day.

I managed. With not even $1 from my so called "family".

Things were never easy where I grew up, that's why we all worked so hard to get ahead. A house was a pipe dream in New Zealand in the 80s, so was a decent paying job.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM
FBJ

Quote:
They need to toughen up and work harder.

I worked more than one job for most of my youth. At one stage I was doing 40 hours at one job and 20 at another.

I was thrown out of home at 17 so didn't have a choice. And yes, I got my own place and lived alone and paid my own bills and had about $7 a week to clothe and feed myself and buy hairspray and (it was the 80s) and get to and from work every day.

I managed. With not even $1 from my so called "family".

Things were never easy where I grew up, that's why we all worked so hard to get ahead. A house was a pipe dream in New Zealand in the 80s, so was a decent paying job.

cool story

Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
Quote:

It's true. I've personally been on my own for a while. Off and on from 18-24 then completely on my own from 24 onward. I have a lot of friends who are even my age (28) that still live at home. It's not that unheard of. The difference is that most of them have jobs, go to school, and have had a meaningful relationship at some point. And I think they shower daily.

However, even being 28 years old, I could go home any time if I needed to, if I were down on my luck or whatever. After my big breakup in the fall, I went home for a month to get on my feet, then moved on.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
cool story
Ah the voice of entitlement.

I grew up listening to stories of my parents getting an orange and a banana for Christmas if they were lucky (war babies) and thinking the same thing. It's not such a cool story when it happens to you though.

Things have never ever been THAT tough in the States, except from the Great Depression of course and most folks who remember that are now old as dirt.

You kidults are just coddled is all. My generation was thrown out, if we had nowhere to go and no way to pay for it or not.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Ah the voice of entitlement.

I grew up listening to stories of my parents getting an orange and a banana for Christmas if they were lucky (war babies) and thinking the same thing. It's not such a cool story when it happens to you though.

Things have never ever been THAT tough in the States, except from the Great Depression of course and most folks who remember that are now old as dirt.

You kidults are just coddled is all. My generation was thrown out, if we had nowhere to go and no way to pay for it or not.

Being thrown out sounds like the result of poor parenting

Old 12-25-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Being thrown out sounds like the result of poor parenting
Yah think?

In my day, parenting was "poor", compared to the molly coddling you all get now. No one gave a chit about their kids thoughts/emotions/feelings/comfort, it was the other way around - the kids were supposed to consider their parents.

You were either normal or a "bit slow" none of this ADD stuff and medications.

I grew up with a key around my neck to let myself in from age 5.

There was no such thing as McDonalds but we got fish and chips on Fridays and it was a treat.

Plus I grew up in a very puritanical, slightly backward and harsh country so it was normal for parents to be like this back in the 60s and 70s. They were more like the American 30s and 40s parents (excluding the Waltons).

Now it's all psychiatrists and nightlights, breastfeeding and beauty pageants. Then it was all, sit down, shut up, peel the potatoes and you better not bring home a bad report or your life wasn't worth living.

The positives? You are independant, capable, grateful, and you generally know when to keep your mouth shut.

Last edited by MsAnnThrope; 12-25-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I think that the pendulum has swung too far the other way, now parents helicopter too much, don't let kids fail.... all this stupid stuff in sports where they don't actually keep scores, no one wins or "loses"....

All a bunch of mamby pamby crap in my opinion.

Life, plain and simple... you got winners and you got losers.... as harsh as that sounds, its true.... people are coddled too much.

I see it in my work, I'm in my low 40's and I work with and interview for hire, young people right out of college, and the entitlement mentality blow me a away...... everyone expects to make 60 or 70k right out of school....

I've had a coworker who has only been in my industry for a yr or two actually treat me like I didn't know WTF I'm doing....

Shocked the hell out of me, I wouldn't have never approached someone who has 18 plus yrs more experience than me, and treat them that way..

A good chunk of younger people are beyond arrogant and obnoxious.... not all obviously but a lot that I've dealt with.......

Last edited by Chowhound; 12-25-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,224 times
I know a few people between the ages of 25-35 who live at home with their folks. Yes, they do work and help their parents out...none of this sitting on their arses with their hand down their pants like Al Bundy business.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships