Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 AM

198 posts, read 468,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Look at Winnie cooper from the wonder years(my childhood crush ) she's like a genius when it comes to math. Do you think she has to "dumb herself down" to get guys?
No...because she's a fictional character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Yes a majority of the men I've encountered cannot handle an intelligent woman. It scares the crap out of them because I look the typical dumb blonde but I seem to be able to have an intelligent conversation regarding a wide variety of topics. You'd be surprised how often I'll bring up something very common or what's going on in the world and I get a deer in the headlight look

Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
One thing I learned from dating is how much I hate it when people use their own perceived intelligence to stick their noses up against other people and think they're above them. I don't know what playing video games or any of that has to do with people and their intelligence or "acting stupid". The only thing I could see is maybe social and emotional intelligence. And knowledge/education does relate to IQ, but that's after the fact. You're not going to see a lot of high achieving or highly educated people coming from poor backgrounds where the're struggling to just get by and not learning about their food or architecture styles. Their priorities are different are so are their lifestyles as a result.
Social and emotional intelligence are certainly included. I don't separate intelligence in that way. Intelligent people tend to be intelligent across the board (barring outliers of course and whatever anecdotes some may be motivated to post). I don't know how it goes with online dating. I've never done it.
Quote:
I decided to go by income level since that's the easiest and most broadest way to look at achievement without using anecdotal evidence. Most of the population does have an average IQ which is why I think it's pointless to get caught up in how knowledgeable someone is on a subject since they're backgrounds are going to influence what they know and talk about.
I guess that's a way to approach it to make it easier. Although, I don't know if the kind of crap that drives me up a wall could be filtered by salary.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I think men are just turned off by women who feel the need to prove that they are smart rather than letting the evidence speak for itself. There are smart women, and there are women who tell you that they are smart (and of course some actually are smart and some are not).
This........

Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM

54 posts, read 61,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
So I had a conversation w/ a woman the other day, (she's mid 40's) & we were talking about men. I made the comment that the men I've come across seem to say that they want a smart women, but in all actualities- they don't. She agreed, & said that's why she's not even dating anymore. She said that men contradict themselves-- especially with this......

So my question is- have any of you had to dumb yourself down, or pretend that you're kind of naive- just to appease the opposite sex?
I like what I am attracted to. I dont like to call people dumb, but I do love the company of woman that has not experienced much. It makes me want to show her things and I feel good spending money on this sort of woman. Somethings are not for everyone.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
No...because she's a fictional character.
I mean the actual person Danica mckellar. If I said her actual name no one would know who I'm talking About

Danica McKellar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
My last gf told me she thought I'd do well with a "smart black girl".
I don't know what that means?
I do....all too well. lol

Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Very few people are really that much smarter or dumber than the average person. Some like to think they are smarter, but I haven't met many who really are.

I have one friend who knows something about everything. He fastidiously reads economic publications and magazines and can quote famous economists. When we've gone on vacation before, he knows how to discern architectural styles and periods, better than me. And that is highly related to my job field. He is also an electrical engineer who went to a top 3 school for that field (Berkeley). I would say he is smarter than your average person.

He does terrible with women. Probably slightly worse than me.
A lot of women hate know-it-alls. It's not just about being smart, it's about a give-and-take, showing interest in the other person, not monopolizing the conversation, being secure enough in yourself that you don't feel the need to constantly impress your date. It sounds like your friend doesn't get this concept at all. Huge turn-off.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly!Metro View Post
I do....all too well. lol
Tell me...I think she was calling me dumb?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Acting stupid is pretending like you know nothing about anything. It's going along with whatever the person you are with is saying in order to appeal to their ego.

Think of it in the terms of if you had an area of interest that you knew a lot about, and you go out with someone who has basic knowledge of the subject. When talking to you about that subject, someone who acts dumb would pull the, "wow!" act without contributing what they know.
I dont see anything wrong with that. I enjoy when females do that. It makes me more interested and they seem a lot more friendly and loving. I dont think there is anything wrong with women being kind to me, so I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships