Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times

Advertisements

I started another thread about this Society pressuring women to be anorexic thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Yes i have. I'm not a fan of the whole "fat acceptance" movement, but I also don't like when society places unrealistic weight expectations on women via magazines, hollywood culture, etc. If she's hot, who cares what the number on the scale says?

I don't like to see women develop eating disorders. That is sad. If a woman wants an attractive man, she should make an effort to exercise and keep in shape. But no one should have to starve themselves. That is going much too far.

If a guy is dating a woman and pressuring her to starve herself or otherwise develop an eating disorder, then he is a rather awful boyfriend.
Yes, but I exercise and I'm perfectly healthy (well, except for the genetic disorder, but there's not much I can do about that), but I'll never have a flat stomach and I'll always have a wide ribcage which makes me look much heavier than I actually am. Being thin doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy or fit or even exercise or eat right. I've mentioned a model friend down in Southern California several times on this forum who is one of the unhealthiest people I know, but she's thin so people automatically assume she's fit. Yet, people may assume I'm not fit and lazy because I have a poochy stomach.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
That's because your education, your job and your hobbies are not what attracts a man to you. By taking them you, you forced yourself to talk about other facets of yourself. Those other facets about you are obviously attractive to men, which is why you saw so much more attention.

That is probably because you are working a bit too hard to communicate that you are smart, and as such are boring the guy. (You bore everyone when you do this, not just men.) I bet if you were to take it easy and let a man find out about your intelligence over time, you would have better results.
I talk about food, books, politics, pop culture, places to go. People just seem to infer it after a few minutes. Or maybe longer conversations. People seem to like to comment for whatever reason. I try to avoid the topic of where I went to college.

I am sure it is a combo of things. Word choice, phrasing, accent. Some people are a little weirded out.

Good news? As I get older the less often it happens. More people are intrigued these days.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Last edited by jade408; 01-07-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
This is how it is:
1) Woman A is hot but either only has HS education or dropped out of it and though she's a nice person, she only knows domestic chores/skills and how to procreate.

2) Woman B might not be hot but is cute, works full-time and studies, has passion for certain books involving history, likes watching discovery channel and is also a nice. However, unlike Woman A, she isn't a household expert (well she does know the basic but isn't excellent in that area) and doesn't want kids.

It seems more men would rather go for Woman A than Woman B, though IMO the latter is showing more important qualities. The first one is doing things any of us can do.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
This is how it is:
1) Woman A is hot but either only has HS education or dropped out of it and though she's a nice person, she only knows domestic chores/skills and how to procreate.

2) Woman B might not be hot but is cute, works full-time and studies, has passion for certain books involving history, likes watching discovery channel and is also a nice. However, unlike Woman A, she isn't a household expert (well she does know the basic but isn't excellent in that area) and doesn't want kids.

It seems more men would rather go for Woman A than Woman B, though IMO the latter is showing more important qualities. The first one is doing things any of us can do.
Likely Woman A has more important qualities using guy standards as she's hot and can cater to him by cooking for him, cleaning after him, and taking care of their kids.

I doubt guys rate Woman B's education, job status, personality, passion, interests, or hobbies as important qualities unless it's sexual as I don't see most guys fantasizing about the personality of their partner rather what she'll look like and how she'll take care of him.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Oh come on, are you serious? Have you seen the list of ridiculous standards a lot of women have in their online profiles? I honestly feel sympathetic for JetJockey. She seems like a nice girl who is getting the raw deal. But guys are like a kid in a candy store? Seriously? Most guys have to send out like 30 messages to get 1 response. Guys are more like a broke kid in a candy store with no money to get anything, if you really want to use that analogy.

Women are very picky about things... maybe not looks quite as much, but they are really picky about other things like a guy can't be too clingy, or a guy has to have money, or like 50,291,285 other requirements.
Unfortunately I have seen men be picky beside weight. I've been rejected for many reasons and have had friends rejected by obese men for being chubby.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
Likely Woman A has more important qualities using guy standards as she's hot and can cater to him by cooking for him, cleaning after him, and taking care of their kids.

I doubt guys rate Woman B's education, job status, personality, passion, interests, or hobbies as important qualities unless it's sexual as I don't see most guys fantasizing about the personality of their partner rather what she'll look like and how she'll take care of him.
Yeah, type A women find him earlier while the latter is still waiting and waiting.

Even my childhood male friend once stated how he wouldn't care if a woman didn't had an education or was mean to him as long as she's hot, can cook and clean and the sex is good. Talk about shallow. While I'm stuck here waiting for that guy to appreciate me for what I am.

Recent one: was hanging out with a male colleague but it's been over 2 months since he doesn't call me anymore nor even writes on my msn. Most of our conversations were about work, classes, our grades (usually it was me getting higher exam scores than him and at some point, he would just said ''I passes, it was good''), hobbies, a little story about ourselves, etc. I don't know what happened that made him lose interest.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
This is how it is:

In your hypothetical scenario, are either of these women funny? And which woman has a higher sex drive and is more willing to please her man?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, type A women find him earlier while the latter is still waiting and waiting.

Even my childhood male friend once stated how he wouldn't care if a woman didn't had an education or was mean to him as long as she's hot, can cook and clean and the sex is good. Talk about shallow. While I'm stuck here waiting for that guy to appreciate me for what I am.
I would never EVER want to be with a woman who was mean to me. I don't care if she's the hottest woman on earth.

Anyway, i am sorry to hear you are feeling unappreciated. I definitely can relate to that feeling.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I think men want to marry more then women care to admit I don't truly believe that all men want to grow old alone. I know some don't care one way another but most of would like to find someone & settle down & grow old with someone else. Too bad some women feel that we can't commit just because they have been burned in the past.

Last edited by reed067; 01-08-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships